Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kind of bummed...looks like street legal in Utah for me is a complete no go :confused: The properly registered as street legal must be in your home state. Not happening in Commierado. The trip ain't worth hauling a trailer to stay in Moab. 14 pages on this bureaucratic nightmare over on the RZR forums that basically go nowhere.

ATVs and UTVs are allowed to be operated on paved roads, streets, and highways in the Moab area when the vehicles are:

• Properly registered as street-legal.
  • Properly insured for highway use.
  • Properly registered as street-legal and comply with all of the UTAH street-legal equipment requirements shown above.

If these regulations for your OHV registration are not met, you will not be able to get your vehicle registered for use other than in designated recreational areas and on personally owned private property. You will need to transport your OHV’s on trailers to trailheads or private property in order to operate the vehicle.
Definitely need to meet those requirements. We have plenty of time to outfit our SXS’s to that end....

Here is a detailed 30 page pamphlet on Utah’s rules for OHV/UTV

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well maybe a few of us can do the ride but turn back before Moab? I’m just thinking I doubt I have 7 days to put towards this but 3 is easy,
Hopefully you can do the whole event with the group for the full effect, the various side and loop trails and historic artifacts along the way...👍

Reactions: tdhanses
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
following are requirements for the Utah side. At a cost of about $30.00, all UTV’s are required to purchase a Utah OHV Street legal registration plate and affix it to the vehicle......
It is my understanding, and you just about have to be an attorney to wade through the regulations and red tape, that Utah will only issue a street legal tag to UTVS that already have one in another state, and meet their ruleset, safety items, stock tire sizes etc.

Colorado decided Wolves rights are much more important than rural folks having the ability to cross short sections of pavement and a uniform street legal UTV code. A number of rural counties in Colorado have exercised their rights to circumvent the state looking away from a uniform state licensing UTVS by declaring "certain roads open to UTVS" if they follow, and comply with certain requirements. This is the case with the Colorado side of the Rimrocker Trail. Stay on route, have the right equipment, off road sticker, insurance ur good to go. San Juan County (Moab) in Utah did a similar thing for UTVs in 2012. That attempt was superseded by a Statewide revision in code in 2014 according to my research (which I hope is incorrect), and they will only street permit an out of stater with a UTV with street tags ISSUED IN THEIR HOME STATE. Lots of folks were circumventing the rules by getting New Mexico , South Dakota tags which were available by mail. Still holding out hope there is a grandfathered clause for the Utah portion of the trail. Some anecdotal tales I have heard indicate Moab is very prone to instant impound for offending UTVS.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is my understanding, and you just about have to be an attorney to wade through the regulations and red tape, that Utah will only issue a street legal tag to UTVS that already have one in another state, and meet their ruleset, safety items, stock tire sizes etc.

Colorado decided Wolves rights are much more important than rural folks having the ability to cross short sections of pavement and a uniform street legal UTV code. A number of rural counties in Colorado have exercised their rights to circumvent the state looking away from a uniform state licensing UTVS by declaring "certain roads open to UTVS" if they follow, and comply with certain requirements. This is the case with the Colorado side of the Rimrocker Trail. Stay on route, have the right equipment, off road sticker, insurance ur good to go. San Juan County (Moab) in Utah did a similar thing for UTVs in 2012. That attempt was superseded by a Statewide revision in code in 2014 according to my research (which I hope is incorrect), and they will only street permit an out of stater with a UTV with street tags ISSUED IN THEIR HOME STATE. Lots of folks were circumventing the rules by getting New Mexico , South Dakota tags which were available by mail. Still holding out hope there is a grandfathered clause for the Utah portion of the trail. Some anecdotal tales I have heard indicate Moab is very prone to instant impound for offending UTVS.
Crap, Kansas doesn’t issue anything except a title but they are titled as off-road purely so they can get property tax. There has to be something that exempts other states and you just pay for the registration, similar to how I pay CO $25 a year.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good point, there are several motels in Moab that take pets and that is kinda a given for folks that travel with pets. I'd like to take my new puppy and since we have no poisonous snakes in North ID it may be a concern because she is VERY interested in studying new things and lets her nose rule her life. We'll see.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crap, Kansas doesn’t issue anything except a title but they are titled as off-road purely so they can get property tax. There has to be something that exempts other states and you just pay for the registration, similar to how I pay CO $25 a year.
My worries exactly! My son and I know a few folks in the powersports biz that go there (Moab) on a regular basis from CO. I've asked him to help me get to the bottom of this. For sure, if you are an out of state UTV (LIKE CROSSING OVER THE CO/UT border on the Rimrocker) you need a UTAH sticker affixed to be legal. . Either a ohv or ohv street sticker. Pretty sure you can get (the regular ohv) done online before the trip. Utah used to have reciprocity with some states but they quit on OHV tags. Sigh......hours spent just trying to use "PUBLIC" land legally. Will update as learn more.

Reactions: tdhanses
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My worries exactly! My son and I know a few folks in the powersports biz that go there (Moab) on a regular basis from CO. I've asked him to help me get to the bottom of this. For sure, if you are an out of state UTV (LIKE CROSSING OVER THE CO/UT border on the Rimrocker) you need a UTAH sticker affixed to be legal. . Either a ohv or ohv street sticker. Pretty sure you can get (the regular ohv) done online before the trip. Utah used to have reciprocity with some states but they quit on OHV tags. Sigh......hours spent just trying to use "PUBLIC" land legally. Will update as learn more.
So is this not good for streets?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your papers please.

Colorado isn't too awful if you get caught with out a tag most of the time. That is changing because of lots of local complaints of noise and dust. Please try to keep dust to a minimum on dirt roads by residences!
My sons Pioneer is registered in CO but he refuses to display the sticker and he has never been even asked about it for 4 years....and he rides a lot. From feedback I get about Utah, if it's off the trailer it better be stickered. Depending on jurisdiction and LEOs mood, ticket and impound are very real options for non stickered UTVs off road, and non street stickered UTVs on road.

I might just take our KRX with a Utah off road sticker this summer instead of the Pioneer (the P1000 has bigger bigger than Utah legal tires anyway) and make a quick dash to the end of the dirt in Utah and burn back to a Colorado safe haven to stay (and spend my money) just to say I did the trail if I can't get it street legal in UTAH.

• Haha
Reactions: lee and Montecresto
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your papers please.

Colorado isn't too awful if you get caught with out a tag most of the time. That is changing because of lots of local complaints of noise and dust. Please try to keep dust to a minimum on dirt roads by residences!
My sons Pioneer is registered in CO but he refuses to display the sticker and he has never been even asked about it for 4 years....and he rides a lot. From feedback I get about Utah, if it's off the trailer it better be stickered. Depending on jurisdiction and LEOs mood, ticket and impound are very real options for non stickered UTVs off road, and non street stickered UTVs on road.

I might just take our KRX with a Utah off road sticker this summer instead of the Pioneer (the P1000 has bigger bigger than Utah legal tires anyway) and make a quick dash to the end of the dirt in Utah and burn back to a Colorado safe haven to stay (and spend my money) just to say I did the trail if I can't get it street legal in UTAH.
Actually I noticed this year it just says keep with the vehicle, game warden just asked to see it, didn’t say a word about it not being taped on it.

advertisement
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Your papers please.
~ if it's off the trailer it better be stickered.

I used to live in Kalifornia.
If a cop sees a vehicle in the back of your truck with out a green sticker (Kalifornia off road registration sticker) they can write you for it because you where going to use it illegally.
Doesn't matter how good a story you have.

Good place to be from.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
used to live in Kalifornia.
If a cop sees a vehicle in the back of your truck with out a green sticker (Kalifornia off road registration sticker) they can write you for it because you where going to use it illegally.
Doesn't matter how good a story you have.

Good place to be from.
Yeah, I remember good old green stickers. Left Kalifornia and didn't look back 27 years ago. My better half was LE and used to run a '77 F250 hi-boy with a totally built 429 out of an old T-bird in it(read zero emissions equipment). She would get pulled over by the CHP for driving like a retard and it was oh, that's cool. Me...probably jail. Was chewing my nails when I brought it onto Colorado for a VIN inspection. Inspecting officer, "hey, I like the blue ceramic on the headers and those 4 point harnesses are cool"......Colorado has changed since. :(

Reactions: lee
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Let's see...it was 2011 and I took my DRZ 400 to Moab in the back of my F250 with street plates that ran all over off road NM, CO, WY, MT, UT and eventually back to Idaho...NOT one issue or question...why is it important for bureaucrats to ruin all the fun.

First thing you know they will be forcing people to wear masks, stay 6 feet apart and you can only eat in your car.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
First thing you know they will be forcing people to wear masks, stay 6 feet apart and you can only eat in your car.
Easy fellar.....🤣

Everything will be fine, the big part is getting your street legal lights, horn, manufacturers recommended tire size, 8’ flag mount, reflectors etc...

The off road stickers for both states are obtainable on line. Colorado’s renews every April so you don’t want to get that one until April, whereas Utah’s is good for 12 months from date of purchase....

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
John, it appears that I would/will need to have my machine street licensed in another state before I could get it licensed to drive it on the street in Moab. I live in Illinois and my machine is registered in Wisconsin, nether state will license it for the street. What do I need to do, are there states that I can get a license plate without being a resident of that state?

If I can't get licensed for the street in Moab where would be the turn around point be in Utah? And if you know how far would it be back to a gas station in Colorado?

Reactions: Montecresto
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Easy fellar.....🤣

Everything will be fine, the big part is getting your street legal lights, horn, manufacturers recommended tire size, 8’ flag mount, reflectors etc...

The off road stickers for both states are obtainable on line. Colorado’s renews every April so you don’t want to get that one until April, whereas Utah’s is good for 12 months from date of purchase....
Manufacturers recommended tire size wtf. Is that going to be a real issue?

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don’t really think so if you’re close. But yeah, that’s on their list, they don’t require DOT’s oddly enough. They probably don’t want to see 35’s on a SXS that the manufacturer put 26’s on....🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
John, it appears that I would/will need to have my machine street licensed in another state before I could get it licensed to drive it on the street in Moab. I live in Illinois and my machine is registered in Wisconsin, nether state will license it for the street. What do I need to do, are there states that I can get a license plate without being a resident of that state?

If I can't get licensed for the street in Moab where would be the turn around point be in Utah? And if you know how far would it be back to a gas station in Colorado?
I haven’t checked buy I heard SD.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I’m wondering that as well, if so I’m out for the UT portion.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Well, we’re still trying to work this out. Don’t give up hope yet. One interpretation of it is that way. But I can tell you that I licensed my Pioneer for the Magruder Corridor trail ride last year in Idaho, on line for less than $30.00 bucks.

Your off road Utah sticker will get you all the way to within a couple miles of town (Moab) and the only fuel on the way back is at Nucla Colorado which is about 110-115 miles.

Reactions: Remote
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!