Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I know one thing is certain, UTV’s are allowed on the streets of Moab, anyone that’s been to Moab has seen them about town. We will know with certainty the requirements to legally do so in time....

Reactions: TimG
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Again, I’ll be in Montrose and Moab both in late January or early February and intend to get to the bottom of the issue
Thank you for your efforts! This trail is a bit of a logistics issue to run with a UTV(s), but for me a big part the real fun is in the planning and execution. For business reasons, and having an elected management association with public safety/fire here in CO, we have to be 100% squeeky clean legal to be comfortable. LOL... the OCD will have me carrying notorized letters from the state governor (in triplicate)saying this is OK by the time this is done.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you for your efforts! This trail is a bit of a logistics issue to run with a UTV(s), but for me a big part the real fun is in the planning and execution. For business reasons, and having an elected management association with public safety/fire here in CO, we have to be 100% squeeky clean legal to be comfortable. LOL... the OCD will have me carrying notorized letters from the state governor (in triplicate)saying this is OK by the time this is done.
No worries. And to be clear, the entirety of the Rimrocker trail, which begins on the western outskirts of Montrose and ends at the eastern city limits of Moab is absolutely legally accessible by UTV, even without most items on the list of modifications posted in the op, which are only necessary for accessing the streets of Moab. I think in a worse case scenario, our group could park our caravan in a parking lot on the edge of town and Uber over to our hotel. But again, knowing that UTV’s are allowed on Moab’s streets, I fully intend to have the requirements in place to park our rides in the hotel parking lot and access the stores and restaurants...👍😎

Reactions: JimmyA
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Moab has a very politically active power sports hate group. They look for and report the slightest infraction. The local mountain communities in the area I do business in are similar. Monitoring EMCOM radio traffic a few month ago there was an incident where some poor guy in a AZ plated RZR drove thru town to access a designated riding/rock crawling area south of town. Dispatch got more calls than if the local bank had been robbed! Don't think LE gave hoot (a significant number of them own UTVs), but they had to act to save the haters from the unauthorized UTV assault.

There is an interesting page for some light reading over on the RZR fourms where Moab PD answers questions. OHV Q&A w/ the Moab City Police Department

Driving a UTV on Moab streets is definitely Indian territory. Your papers had best be in PERFECT order comrade. If the worst happens, even if you are on firm legal ground, it could be a major inconvenience proving you are right.

It's like possessing a NFA firearm item. You can go through life and never have an issue. But if you dont have a copy of that tax stamp, trust documents with it at all times its deep dodo time if LE asks to see it and you don't have it.

Last edited:
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is the answer I got from Idaho on getting a street plate for their state, weather an Idaho restricted plate would satisfy Moab's requirement for the machined to be street licensed in another state as one of the requirements to get a Moab permit I don't know but it looks like Idaho's can be done on the internet.

These are the requirements for non-resident unregistered all-terrain vehicles (ATV) operating on city, county, and highway district roads. Check with local jurisdiction for information on roads open to OHV use.

• Valid restricted vehicle license plate. (49-402(4))
  • Valid State of Idaho Non-Resident OHV user certificate affixed to restricted vehicle license plate. (67-7124)
  • Valid driver's license (49-301)
  • Liability insurance or alternative insurance. (49-1232)
  • A DOT (minimum) approved helmet for operators or passengers under the age of 18. (49-666)
  • Muffler at or below 96dB and a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrestor. (67-7125)

Placement: The restricted vehicle license plate assigned to a utility-type vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle with a current State of Idaho Non-Resident OHV user certificate clearly visible in the lower right corner of the restricted vehicle license plate.
2020 RV Plate NON RES scaled

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here is the answer I got from Idaho on getting a street plate for their state, weather an Idaho restricted plate would satisfy Moab's requirement for the machined to be street licensed in another state as one of the requirements to get a Moab permit I don't know but it looks like Idaho's can be done on the internet.

These are the requirements for non-resident unregistered all-terrain vehicles (ATV) operating on city, county, and highway district roads. Check with local jurisdiction for information on roads open to OHV use.

• Valid restricted vehicle license plate. (49-402(4))
  • Valid State of Idaho Non-Resident OHV user certificate affixed to restricted vehicle license plate. (67-7124)
  • Valid driver's license (49-301)
  • Liability insurance or alternative insurance. (49-1232)
  • A DOT (minimum) approved helmet for operators or passengers under the age of 18. (49-666)
  • Muffler at or below 96dB and a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrestor. (67-7125)

Placement: The restricted vehicle license plate assigned to a utility-type vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle with a current State of Idaho Non-Resident OHV user certificate clearly visible in the lower right corner of the restricted vehicle license plate.
View attachment 241496
Yep, that’s what I got last year, it was easy, accomplished via email and USPS quickly and for a total of $30.00 or less....

But it’s not a given that this needs to be done for this ride.

Reactions: Pilgrim and JimmyA
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This an example of some strict interpretation of using out of state plates without proof of the same state residency in Moab. Direct quote from the police chief 11 months ago. They hate us.

Here's a scenario that may be helpful for understanding what this could look like in the event of a traffic stop:

A MCPD officer observes an OHV driver commit a traffic or equipment violation (including failure to display a license plate) and initiates a traffic stop. The OHV driver provides the officer with a driver license from Colorado and states that he is displaying a New Mexico paved road permit. Since the state of Utah does not recognize this non-resident permit as street-legal registration for a Colorado resident, the officer may issue a citation or warning for driving without registration (41-1a-1303) and may also impound the vehicle under 41-1a-1101. What the officer chooses to do is at his or her discretion.

• Wow
Reactions: tdhanses
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This an example of some strict interpretation of using out of state plates without proof of the same state residency in Moab. Direct quote from the police chief 11 months ago. They hate us.

Here's a scenario that may be helpful for understanding what this could look like in the event of a traffic stop:

A MCPD officer observes an OHV driver commit a traffic or equipment violation (including failure to display a license plate) and initiates a traffic stop. The OHV driver provides the officer with a driver license from Colorado and states that he is displaying a New Mexico paved road permit. Since the state of Utah does not recognize this non-resident permit as street-legal registration for a Colorado resident, the officer may issue a citation or warning for driving without registration (41-1a-1303) and may also impound the vehicle under 41-1a-1101. What the officer chooses to do is at his or her discretion.
Thanks for the heads up. The moral to this is not to provide police with a traffic or equipment violation. We all know that we’re not on the trail when we’re in town and that others who have gone before us have abused the privilege and we all know what the equipment requirements are and we’re outfitting our SXS’s for this trek accordingly...

advertisement
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Moab has a very politically active power sports hate group. They look for and report the slightest infraction. The local mountain communities in the area I do business in are similar. Monitoring EMCOM radio traffic a few month ago there was an incident where some poor guy in a AZ plated RZR drove thru town to access a designated riding/rock crawling area south of town. Dispatch got more calls than if the local bank had been robbed! Don't think LE gave hoot (a significant number of them own UTVs), but they had to act to save the haters from the unauthorized UTV assault.

There is an interesting page for some light reading over on the RZR fourms where Moab PD answers questions. OHV Q&A w/ the Moab City Police Department

Driving a UTV on Moab streets is definitely Indian territory. Your papers had best be in PERFECT order comrade. If the worst happens, even if you are on firm legal ground, it could be a major inconvenience proving you are right.

It's like possessing a NFA firearm item. You can go through life and never have an issue. But if you dont have a copy of that tax stamp, trust documents with it at all times its deep dodo time if LE asks to see it and you don't have it.
You got me reading a rzr forum lol wtf it feels wrong wheres my fire extinguisher.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, that was disappointing...I asked several questions of the nice lady doing the paperwork for my on road Idaho plate...same answer..."those things change and I don't keep up with them". Good news was I got the plate good for 10 years and cost 7 dollars and change...annual $10 off road sticker is from Park and Recreation Department....as Monte said....Idaho is cheap and easy for residents anyway.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe it's my old eyes but I can't read the data on the attachment. Any chance we could get the URL instead?

Fire wood on the trail...can we have camp fires or will the Summer burn bans preclude open flame? I hate to pay a buck apiece for tooth picks called fire wood. The last trips out that way I was on a dirt bike but I think I can make room on the 700 to contribute to some flame if allowed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Maybe it's my old eyes but I can't read the data on the attachment. Any chance we could get the URL instead?

Fire wood on the trail...can we have camp fires or will the Summer burn bans preclude open flame? I hate to pay a buck apiece for tooth picks called fire wood. The last trips out that way I was on a dirt bike but I think I can make room on the 700 to contribute to some flame if allowed.
There will be camp firs regardless. Plenty of supply trail side. Too heavy and space consuming to pack with us......

I completely agree with you about buying those five stick $6.00 bundles too....🙄

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
FWIW....
This is an answer to my question from the Rimrocker Trail media relations manager on the subject of “street legal” definition for Moab, or any roads in the Utah portion of the trek.

Note, that she seems to be suggesting that even the Rimrocker trail section in Utah would require street legal.....🤔 That just makes no sense to me. And her “our understanding” lends itself to a high level of confidence....🙄

You would think that such a fundamental component of the Rimrocker Trail as UTV accessibility would be basic knowledge, a known FACT......

Hello Mr. ___________

Our understanding is that to complete the final part of the trail in Grand County, Utah, your UTV must be street legal in Utah which includes a license plate. If your state has a plating program for UTVs etc then it will work, but if not, the Grand County portion of the trail is not accessible via UTV. You can ride on the trail in San Juan County (permit recommended) as it is on a dirt road.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I still intend to do some in person investigative journalism (🤣) in Utah/Moab and get to the bottom of this. The same question emailed to other regulatory bodies hasn’t been answered yet....🤷‍♂️

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok, I asked the Rimrocker Trail media relations manager for clarification of her earlier email and just received this....

“No sir-- street legal status is required for the final portion of the trail in Grand County (which takes you into Moab). You can legally do about 80-90 percent of the Utah side of the trail with a Utah permit (maybe $20-30?). The link is OHV Registration & Permits | Utah State Parks. I would refer to them for street legal questions too.”

SO..............We CAN access the Rimrocker Trail in Utah up to Moab (as I originally believed/knew) with the Utah off road sticker which is good for one year from date of purchase (I’ve already applied for mine) Again, we should all wait until April to purchase Colorado’s because they renew each April.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!