Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here is a direct link from Moab, scroll down on page. discovermoab.com/atv-riding/
We appreciate any help we can get!!! That link isn’t working for me though Tim....🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had to copy and paste it to the browser.
Ok that worked, thank you for that tdhanses. This seems the most concise (and disappointing for some) information I’ve seen yet on the subject!!!!

Street-Legal ATV Requirements
Your vehicle must have (1) a license plate from your home state and (2) meet all of the requirements shown below. If your home state does not issue license plates to ATV/UTVs, your vehicle cannot be street legal in Utah. If your vehicle is not street legal it must be trailered or towed to the trailheads.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok that worked, thank you for that tdhanses. This seems the most concise (and disappointing for some) information I’ve seen yet on the subject!!!!

Street-Legal ATV Requirements
Your vehicle must have (1) a license plate from your home state and (2) meet all of the requirements shown below. If your home state does not issue license plates to ATV/UTVs, your vehicle cannot be street legal in Utah. If your vehicle is not street legal it must be trailered or towed to the trailheads.
Yeah #1 kind of mirrors what was said earlier about if pulled over your plate state better match your drivers license, I think I’ll do the alpine loop in CO instead. Way less possible red tape issues.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah #1 kind of mirrors what was said earlier about if pulled over your plate state better match your drivers license, I think I’ll do the alpine loop in CO instead. Way less possible red tape issues.
The alpine loop is cool. I’ve done it twice, and am doing this for something new, and the two are nothing alike.

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
It looks like we may be able to ride as far Spanish Valley without needing plates, there is limited lodging and services there but maybe a better option for some. Another idea if we can ride to a motel in Montrose with UTV Maybe run the trail the opposite way by parking in Spanish Valley.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It looks like we may be able to ride as far Spanish Valley without needing plates, there is limited lodging and services there but maybe a better option for some. Another idea if we can ride to a motel in Montrose with UTV Maybe run the trail the opposite way by parking in Spanish Valley.
I’m going to look at registering SXS in Utah. If it’s anything like New Mexico and Idaho for non resident, it’s easy and inexpensive. We’re intending to maintain the itinerary of the op.....

Reactions: Pilgrim and ByronM
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
From what I have found online it appears that from Montrose to Nucla has a lot of blacktop and easy gravel roads, not exactly P500 friendly territory. The trail looks like it gets nice after crossing 141 just outside Nucla. I was thinking about meeting up with in Nucla, would that be acceptable? Would that be after or before the first night of camping?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
From what I have found online it appears that from Montrose to Nucla has a lot of blacktop and easy gravel roads, not exactly P500 friendly territory. The trail looks like it gets nice after crossing 141 just outside Nucla. I was thinking about meeting up with in Nucla, would that be acceptable? Would that be after or before the first night of camping?
The paved roads give way to US forest service roads just a few miles west of town. They are fairly well maintained. Not sure why you would think they wouldn’t be P5 friendly, we won’t be traveling at excessive speeds. Our group is traveling from New Mexico Sunday morning and will rendezvous at the trail head we hope by 2:00 pm or so. The first nights camp will likely be 30 or so miles in. Nucla is just over 50 miles in.

Of course you’re more than welcome to join the caravan at any point you wish, though coordinating that could be a bit tricky.....

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is the email message I received from the horses mouth, the utahdmv.gov which is the issuing body of street legal plates.....

“If you vehicle is registered out of state as a street legal UTV it can be used in Utah as street legal, if it is not register as that you can only get a non resident permit for off road vehicles for off road use only.”

IOW, nonresidents cannot register their UTV for street legal plates in Utah. Looks like we all need plates from another state that issues them. Idaho and New Mexico are pretty easy and inexpensive to obtain. I already have my P1000-5 plated in Idaho so I’m good....

Reactions: ByronM
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the email message I received from the horses mouth, the utahdmv.gov which is the issuing body of street legal plates.....

“If you vehicle is registered out of state as a street legal UTV it can be used in Utah as street legal, if it is not register as that you can only get a non resident permit for off road vehicles for off road use only.”

IOW, nonresidents cannot register their UTV for street legal plates in Utah. Looks like we all need plates from another state that issues them. Idaho and New Mexico are pretty easy and inexpensive to obtain. I already have my P1000-5 plated in Idaho so I’m good....

Try South Dakota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Try South Dakota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, I used South Dakota to plate my first Pioneer, it was more work and cost $700.00

I plated my second Pioneer in Idaho for less than $30.00 and it required less paperwork.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
maybe I should paint one pink for the ladies room.
Missed this before. I’m guessing the ladies would like that.....🤔

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm considering a multi color "bumper dumper" too...much more stable and less chance of a blowout!!

Any ideas how many folks will be pulling trailers on the trail? I'm starting to figure my packing method and even without a sink the 700 may be tight.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm considering a multi color "bumper dumper" too...much more stable and less chance of a blowout!!

Any ideas how many folks will be pulling trailers on the trail? I'm starting to figure my packing method and even without a sink the 700 may be tight.
🤣
No one else has mentioned trailers so I can’t say....
When I did my last overland trek, preparing for it I had several waterproof containers and packed and repacked until I had things very compact and then made extensive lists of each bin which I kept in my file which was with me with everything from registration receipts, insurance documents to maps and notes from others that had gone before.....

I’ll have 10 ply DOT Tensor Regulators on....so no need for spares....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What happens if buggy has Idaho plates and driver license say arkansas? Asking for a friend
If you look at the email I received directly from Utah DMV, it doesn’t say anything about that. My thoughts are to be equipment compliant on the SXS, insured, Idaho plate and UT OHV sticker affixed and entering town from Spanish Valley on the back road as described in the final segment of trail details direct to hotel. Amongst my papers will be a copy of my communication with UTDMV. I personally have no plans of just joy riding around town. And again, I still intend to be in Moab early in the year for an in person assessment of the situation, final route approach, etc....and posting my findings here.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
It was my understanding that all we would need to ride the Rimrocker trail from just outside Montrose to Spanish Valley was a Colorado OHV permit and a Utah OHV permit, that the street license was only if you go beyond the trail limit, is that incorrect? I do plan on having the street legal equipment and a slow vehicle sign (triangle) on the back of my P500. I would like to ride Hell's Revenge while in Moab, however if I can't get there without plates and can just go back to the Rimrocker trail and play on side trails for the day we are in Moab.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!