P500 The early Torq-lockers, the burr and axle removal woes.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So you're saying you think Rocmar was right?
I can't remember what he said, but if you brutalize the machine like I do, bracing up those mounts is definitely worth the effort. If you just use the machine like it was intended- even with the locker, I doubt the mounts, or anything else for that matter are going to be an issue because of having a locker installed:)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just finished my mount gussets today, I basically braced the back side of the upper rear mount across it's back with a piece of 90º steel (notched to go around top tube) and then gusseted it to the top cross tube. I tried what you did, and no way can metal sit flat across even 3 of those bracket points. Not on either side. And one side still looked perfectly straight, the drill rod slid in perfect. I also ground off the teeth on the Arm bushings and used washers between the arms and the mounts. View media item 3310
Ya, there were gaps, but I just bridged them with weld. Once I had welded the back-sides of the mounts to the frame, I just wanted to tie them all together and join them to the cross bar. It wer'nt pretty, but it accomplished the goal;)
When you reinstalled the bolts, did you leave them slightly loose? I've got some other control arm ideas, but I'll take them to the suspension thread if y'all think this is getting off topic for this thread.:)

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I used the stock lock nuts and left the bolt snug, but where it can turn with the wrench without effort. I think those teeth would tighten the dang things, but now it works like normal pivots should. I remember seeing 2 different P5's with torn mounts before you even put air shocks on, these teeth and using the mounts as a torsion bar mount caused work hardening and fatigue the metal even on stock bikes that were ridden hard, I am thinking that is the root cause of the failure.
If you have aftermarket shocks that let the arms move more than the 3" the stock shocks, or if you ride hard on stock shocks I would consider this little "Washer mod" mandatory, I think it could eliminate the need for gussets on a lot of stock machines.

Reactions: JWB
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Oh no, saw @jay_man81 you tube on front axle pull out. Wonder about circlip issue?? Curious minds want to know. LOL

Last edited:
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I finally got to beat on my P5 this weekend. Wow, it kinda dominated. Ill post in the feedback thread.

Reactions: JWB
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Oh no, saw @jay_man81 you tube on front axle pull out. Wonder about circlip issue??

Saw that too, still havent installed mine, kinda a waiting for some solid resolution to this issue from Torq Masters...

C

Chooglin

Oh no, saw @jay_man81 you tube on front axle pull out. Wonder about circlip issue??
That circlip that broke on @jay_man81 axle , was not the same clip that is related to the locker !

The clip that Jason broke , is part number 8 in this diagram. Part 15 is the clip that holds the axle in the locker.

85817076L

Last edited by a moderator:
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the video. It looked like he had a cir-clip in his hand while the CV cup was still in place. But, then I was wondering why he did not just leave the CV cup in the hole instead of using the gatorade cap?

Reactions: Chooglin
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the video. It looked like he had a cir-clip in his hand while the CV cup was still in place. But, then I was wondering why he did not just leave the CV cup in the hole instead of using the gatorade cap?
The axles in the P5 come out really easy and I didn’t want to risk it coming out while flying down the trail...lol.

Reactions: 100Acre
Torq-Masters

Torq-Masters

Vendor
Jul 11, 2018
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
FYI - the second production run of TORQ Lockers should not have the issue with circlips that are too loose. In the install manual we are still recommending to tighten your circlips before installing the axles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!