P1000 The Family Rig

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Finally got my new rig today. 2017 deluxe red color (ordered white panels to put on for my wife).

Mods:

Under dash storage
Front bumper
Fox shocks
Bed extender
Street legal kit
Seismic mirrors
30" 10 ply mongrels
14 method 401 beadlock

I have a power commander V, a heat shield and a spiderweb shade ordered.

This feels a bit smoother on and off the throttle at slow speeds than my dads 16'. Overall it is very quiet and really smooth. I'm very very happy with it today. Took my wife and 2 kids into the mountains today and these things are so fun. I'm glad to finally have it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice rig!!! Kudos for posting pics. For what those shocks cost, it'd better ride smoother lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very cool! That's a great name for the Honda. Those mongrels look tough. Are they 10 ply rated? What's the actual ply construction?

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Nice rig!!! Kudos for posting pics. For what those shocks cost, it'd better ride smoother lol.

Thanks Delton, I've been watching yours since you started building it and I hope to get many tips from all of you. I may even make it back east one of these days for one of the group rides.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Very cool! That's a great name for the Honda. Those mongrels look tough. Are they 10 ply rated? What's the actual ply construction?

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Thanks Joey, traveller II has probably been the biggest inspiration for the family rig. I'm not sure on the ply construction to be honest, but they are the 10 ply mongrels.

There were about 3 other tires I would have probably liked to have gone with but I got a great deal on the mongrels and since I'm not running a lift I thought they might be good as they are a bit smaller and narrower than some of the others. The do slightly rub at full turn I've discovered but not bad. I might get some arms if it ends up being an issue.

I would like to ask what tips you can give for making any rattles go away. It's not bad but I just want to eventually get them all. Also, when I do my 100 mile service I want to make sure I'm using the best oils to make it run as quiet as possible. I believe you said you were using a different gear oil in the diffs that helped make it a bit quieter. Yours sounds really good on all of your test videos.

I can't tell you how much fun we had yesterday. I had been picturing having seats for the kids and going out together (legally) for a while now! Here are some more pics. It's beautiful here in central Utah. There are mountain trails, lakes, and wildlife for miles and not many people at all. This is where I grew up and we returned there for the weekend and had a great time.

Image Image

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would like to ask what tips you can give for making any rattles go away. It's not bad but I just want to eventually get them all. Also, when I do my 100 mile service I want to make sure I'm using the best oils to make it run as quiet as possible. I believe you said you were using a different gear oil in the diffs that helped make it a bit quieter. Yours sounds really good on all of your test videos.

I adjusted the loops on the doors if they needed it and then spun out the rubber bump stops a little. For the bed I adjusted the loops a little higher so the bed must be pushed harder to close. Those things helped but then another member(can't remember who) recommended putting several wraps of electrical tape around the latches and that helped a lot. I've had to replace it a couple times but its cheap and easy. Then @CumminsPusher recommended spraying expanding foam around the door hinges and that also helped. I removed the colored panels and drilled the door. From those holes I was able to insert the straw to direct the foam at the hinge.

As for motor oil, I can't tell you what's best but I use Honda HP4S. It ain't cheap! Good thing the oil change doesn't need to happen that often on these rigs.

For the diffs, I use the Oreilly auto parts brand. I don't believe the $20-$30 per quart! bottles are needed for the gears. I mean, it's just gears. There's not specific flow, pressures, etc like a DCT requires. And I've got water in my diffs at least 4 times! That would have been a lot of money. So for me, it's cheap gear and some Lucas additive to quiet it down.

Hope that helps bud.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Delton, I've been watching yours since you started building it and I hope to get many tips from all of you. I may even make it back east one of these days for one of the group rides.
I hope you make it out this way for a ride, that'd be cool. Always ready to meet another pioneer owner. You'd be amazed at how helpful, generous, and friendly these folks are in person. Several problems during our last takeover but help was never one of them lol. Top notch folks riding some really cool machinery. Doesn't get any better than that. As for handy tips, no better place to get advice or ideas than here. We have talented people in every aspect of a sxs. Metal fab, paintwork, electrical. We are loaded with talent.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope you make it out this way for a ride, that'd be cool. Always ready to meet another pioneer owner. You'd be amazed at how helpful, generous, and friendly these folks are in person. Several problems during our last takeover but help was never one of them lol. Top notch folks riding some really cool machinery. Doesn't get any better than that. As for handy tips, no better place to get advice or ideas than here. We have talented people in every aspect of a sxs. Metal fab, paintwork, electrical. We are loaded with talent.

And in spite of what EVERYONE else says...............

Delton is at the top of the information super highway!!!!!!!

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A thread on this site taking a "slight" turn??????????

How can that be?
Hey don't blow my act man!!! Trying to stay off the "on topic" gastapo radar lmao. Seriously though, I try to be good. I really really do. Bad influences abound everywhere. Either morally or financially. What's a feller to do?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey don't blow my act man!!! Trying to stay off the "on topic" gastapo radar lmao. Seriously though, I try to be good. I really really do. Bad influences abound everywhere. Either morally or financially. What's a feller to do?

I might think a little bit differently IF your name wasn't on every one of those slightly off topic incidents!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey!!! I've never jacked a miniature donkey!!
If the mood ever strikes you, stay away from my house. We happen to have a mini donkey and I don't want him ruined for life lol.

Reactions: popeye and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!