P1000 the good?

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to upgrade my 2009 kawi teryx le to a machine with more seating. (3 girls and one coming). The pioneer 1000-5 is a very interesting machine.. problem is, all you see on these forums is the bad 9 out of 10 times. Can current owners just list out your likes? Looking at kawi mule, teryx 4, commander max, and viking 6(most likely no cause its a bus, but still looking). THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! !!

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
I'll be the first to chime in and preface this statement by saying that I've owned mine for only one week. I've been lurking on this forum for months now and there are two glaring issues that seem to be the most negative aspects of this machine. The transmission and the heat. If you've been on here long enough you will see over forty pages in one thread relating to the transmission and issues regarding slipping. The other issue is heat and while I have noticed this as an issue personally, I feel that someone will come up with a great idea to solve it. For me... I freaking love this beast and the quality of the design. It's exactly what I was looking for. A utility with some balls and the ability to rip up a trail or haul anything I can put in it.

The two issues aside, I don't think you will be disappointed with the P1K. Just get the extended warranty.

Jeremy

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you are happy and enjoying your ride, why would you post about it? Most people don't. If you are mad about a flaw, most people post about it....bad news spreads quickly.

I am a happy owner. 300 miles and no complaints other than dust and heat which most vehicles have anyway.

Reactions: DGann
rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have nearly 60 miles on my so far and love it. I have 3 kids and came from a Teryx4, great machine, but I needed a different machine. It was very loud under any sort of load. I checked out the Pioneer 700 when it came out, but I had a few rincons and thought they were underpowered and wanted a low range. When news released back in June about the 1000 I was all over it. I test drove the first one the local dealer got in and was sold. completely different machine than the Teryx4. It's much quieter. I have an entire bed, that dumps yet; so I can use it for work if I want to. That, in my mind, helped me justify the expense:)! I'm still getting used to it shifting gears, but overall I LOVE it!

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have nearly 60 miles on my so far and love it. I have 3 kids and came from a Teryx4, great machine, but I needed a different machine. It was very loud under any sort of load. I checked out the Pioneer 700 when it came out, but I had a few rincons and thought they were underpowered and wanted a low range. When news released back in June about the 1000 I was all over it. I test drove the first one the local dealer got in and was sold. completely different machine than the Teryx4. It's much quieter. I have an entire bed, that dumps yet; so I can use it for work if I want to. That, in my mind, helped me justify the expense:)! I'm still getting used to it shifting gears, but overall I LOVE it!
Thanks all.for the posts. I have owned Hondas before, foreman 400 and Rubicon 500.... loved the rubicon... I also use the teryx for both work and play, and you bring up the point of a full working dump box. That is huge I think.. also the size. Compared to the t4, how is the handling?
Dust in the cab is not an issue to me.. off road vehicles means dirty haha.. and the teryx has its heat issues so wouldn't notice that really....
Also, and most importantly, how don't he kidos like the seating??
I use the teryx to haul dirt and stuff, but plow all winter (except this year no snow!) And mow the lawn (swisher 60" pull behind). Anyone foresee issues with that? I mowed with the rubicon for years and no issues. ...
Just looking for input . Thanks!!!!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It will work just fine for you except you can't haul 6 people I got almost 300 miles on my pioneer 1000-5 with no problems. Just take care of it and it will do almost anything you need to do.

Reactions: multipleshotsfired
multipleshotsfired

multipleshotsfired

Jan 17, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Looking to upgrade my 2009 kawi teryx le to a machine with more seating. (3 girls and one coming). The pioneer 1000-5 is a very interesting machine.. problem is, all you see on these forums is the bad 9 out of 10 times. Can current owners just list out your likes? Looking at kawi mule, teryx 4, commander max, and viking 6(most likely no cause its a bus, but still looking). THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! !!

Had mine for a couple months and absolutely love it. Love the paddle shifting and the ability to engine brake on a decent is awesome. Plenty of power, smooth ride, not one issue so far.

I looked at the ranger 900 and I'm so glad I went with the Honda.

Reactions: bullyx
Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
I traded in my commander 1000 for a pioneer 1000-5 and I'm very happy with it. it has lots of power, nice and quiet in the cab (you can actually talk to each other while driving without having to Rais your voice), very versatile to have 5 seats and a full dump box. The heat isn't that bad expecially compared to a teryx or commander, It's awesome to have all the drive line options with the terf mode, 4x4 full lock etc and full 6 gears in both high and low range. I went with the full soft cab and have 0 issue. all my buddies with teryxs, rangers, and commanders are all looking to make the switch when they upgrade there machines on the fact that the pioneer is so well rounded.

Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
When it comes to burnt up clutches that seems to be the flavor of the month right now it's really only 2 or 3 people with this issue compared to the amount of units out there that's pretty good. on the teryx forums how many guys have clutch or belt issues? Alot of it is driver error. If I take off with my commander with a cold belt and hold it at road speeds the belt will blow with in the first .5 mile or if you leave it in high range and your out mud bogging then your going to slip and burn the belt. I have over 80 miles of just plowing with my pioneer and never once had the trans slip.......

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I like the utility aspects. I carry a lot of weight in the bed and the auto leveling suspension helps a lot. For heavy lifting an 8 ply tire upgrade is probably the way to go. I haven't done it yet - trying to get what I can out of these tires.
Engine breaking on the hills is great - especially why you have 800 pounds in the back.
I have not done much towing yet but I've pulled some BIG logs out of the bush.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it comes to burnt up clutches that seems to be the flavor of the month right now it's really only 2 or 3 people with this issue compared to the amount of units out there that's pretty good. on the teryx forums how many guys have clutch or belt issues? Alot of it is driver error. If I take off with my commander with a cold belt and hold it at road speeds the belt will blow with in the first .5 mile or if you leave it in high range and your out mud bogging then your going to slip and burn the belt. I have over 80 miles of just plowing with my pioneer and never once had the trans slip.......
I think it is a little more than 2 or 3. It may be closer to about 20. I do think (as previously stated) there may be 2 problems but the symptoms may both cause a transmission malfunction.
I chose the Pioneer because of reputation of Honda products, the seating options and the dump bed. I looked hard at the Yamaha wolverine but the lack of seating and the lack of a dump bed made me choose the P5 deluxe. I love the option of gear paddle shifting. It really helps to reduce the noise levels. Now that I own one I would not consider buying a Pioneer without the paddle shifters.
We have a Yamaha Rhino clone and it works better in woods with small trails. But only has seating for 2. The noise is terrible. You have to yell at each other.

Overall I am happy with my Pioneer.

Last edited:
B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These comments have pretty much sealed the deal... looks like I'm heading back to a honda product (no slams on my teryx, that's been a great machine) . Thanks to all who replied. I'll post again once I pulled the trigger. Will be the silver deluxe... that is one sharp looking ride. Thanks again!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well dang, guess I'm late to this party lol. Is it too late to brag on my machine?? Lol. It's been an absolute blast and nothing but great things to say. Almost exactly a year ago I was sitting in maint shop with one of my techs listening to him drool over a Rzr he wanted. I told him I'd NEVER pay that much for something I'm going to thrash out in the rocks and mud. Well guess what? Lol. You'll love it! Be sure and post pics.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
I agree, your chances of getting a unit with a bad clutch are probably in the 1/2 to 1 percent range. But, if you ARE unlucky enough to get a bad unit, rest assured Honda will make it right.

Reactions: bullyx and Hondasxs
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from a great weekend ride with my buddy put another 72 miles on the machine . now total mileage 720. still getting great fuel mileage at 23-25 mpg . zero slippage and shifts correctly. discovered sport mode for the first time. i like it in the steep mountains. keeps the r's up without shifting up and down . great all round machine . wont trade it for anything else.

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well dang, guess I'm late to this party lol. Is it too late to brag on my machine?? Lol. It's been an absolute blast and nothing but great things to say. Almost exactly a year ago I was sitting in maint shop with one of my techs listening to him drool over a Rzr he wanted. I told him I'd NEVER pay that much for something I'm going to thrash out in the rocks and mud. Well guess what? Lol. You'll love it! Be sure and post pics.
Never too late... thanks for the input!

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from a great weekend ride with my buddy put another 72 miles on the machine . now total mileage 720. still getting great fuel mileage at 23-25 mpg . zero slippage and shifts correctly. discovered sport mode for the first time. i like it in the steep mountains. keeps the r's up without shifting up and down . great all round machine . wont trade it for anything else.View attachment 12236
Nice...... as soon as the teryx sells... can't wait...kids can't either.. haha

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!