lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Found these random sealed wires. Anyone have any idea what they are for? Found 3 of them so far (the green wires)

View attachment 260484

Welcome to the club from Springfield.
(Or am I suposed to stand up, give my name and say "I'm a honda-holic")

The clear plastic things are wire joints.
Like they bring a bunch of ground wires together, weld the ends together and stick them in a plastic thing for water proofing.
At least they look like the wires are welded (but it's copper so that's weird).

Looks like you have a handle on where you want to go with your build.
I like it.
Also noticed you have jumped right in on the electrical.
I have very few electrical mods I want to do, and I have a pile of boxes with all the electrical parts sitting in the corner.
Much rather tackle mechanical stuff myself.

When you are ready, if you want some company, let us know when you will be hitting the trails.
For short trips I hit Pike or Perry state forest APV areas.
I haven't done Wayne yet but it's on the list (I keep running down to Tennessee to Royal Blue instead).

My build thread:

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome to the club from Springfield.
(Or am I suposed to stand up, give my name and say "I'm a honda-holic")

The clear plastic things are wire joints.
Like they bring a bunch of ground wires together, weld the ends together and stick them in a plastic thing for water proofing.
At least they look like the wires are welded (but it's copper so that's weird).

Looks like you have a handle on where you want to go with your build.
I like it.
Also noticed you have jumped right in on the electrical.
I have very few electrical mods I want to do, and I have a pile of boxes with all the electrical parts sitting in the corner.
Much rather tackle mechanical stuff myself.

When you are ready, if you want some company, let us know when you will be hitting the trails.
For short trips I hit Pike or Perry state forest APV areas.
I haven't done Wayne yet but it's on the list (I keep running down to Tennessee to Royal Blue instead).

My build thread:
I should probably thank you (or blame you???) as your thread was a lot of my inspiration.

Like you, I would much rather tackle the mechanical stuff as I hate electric, but unfortunately its necessary for a lot of this. I'd rather set it all up right the first time in case there's anything I want to add in the future, there's room to expand with relative ease.

I'll definitely let you know when I am ready to hit the trails. It'll probably be a couple months depending on the flow of parts.

All of this will definitely NOT be done all in one go. Daddy's gotta eat.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
#6 and #7 updated

Reactions: J80 and KyGal83
Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I thought about the MudBusters too but now I’m thinking I might just make some flares for the bed. I have some ABS plastic and I think it would be a straight run with one small bend in it.

Also, StrongMade told me they would have a rear bumper for the 520 in June or July.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It's got a whopping 20 miles on it, so I might actually ride it for a change.

About time.
Let us know when and where if you want some company.

And yes, the plate in front of the foot well appears to be new and takes up a little of the fender space.
I’m guessing you would be hard put to make something more compact.
Maybe add 1/2” to your wheel spacers (better off with the guard than bigger tires in my opinion).
My plan is to see if I can’t get them to play nice with a SSS skid plate (mine is also on back order, but I’m still going to the Takeover on stock skids if they don’t show up on time).

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
About time.
Let us know when and where if you want some company.

And yes, the plate in front of the foot well appears to be new and takes up a little of the fender space.
I’m guessing you would be hard put to make something more compact.
Maybe add 1/2” to your wheel spacers (better off with the guard than bigger tires in my opinion).
My plan is to see if I can’t get them to play nice with a SSS skid plate (mine is also on back order, but I’m still going to the Takeover on stock skids if they don’t show up on time).
I would love to get this thing out for some rides, however, I'm also waiting on my new truck to arrive before I tow this thing anywhere. My 14yo Colorado is on its last leg and I'd be afraid trying to tow with it might finish it off before the new one arrives. But, when I do get it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

I might consider some forward swept A-arms in the future to mitigate the rubbing. I'll just have to live with it for now. I just came back in from using it to fertilize my lawn, making a bunch of sharp turns, and it definitely rubs hard. Regardless, I can't feel any actual damage being done to the liners. Time will tell. I almost wish I had went with 1" spacers instead as it might have centered the tire a little better between the two well walls (if that makes sense). Ah well, no easy way of knowing that before I ordered.

And I'm with you. I ordered my skids back in April, so I hope they ship soon. But, if they don't, I'm still going to PTO. I might just have to avoid the rock gardens, if I can.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
HOLEEEEE CRAP!!! - we haz a new KING of PITCHERS. :oops: U take 'pics or it din't happen' to a whole new level, you've raised the bar. 👍👍👍

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Post #8 updated

Getting closer to being ready for T.O. Wiring is as done as it's going to be for while. SSS skids and Hornet Outdoors tire carrier are supposed to be here Wednesday. A quick coat of SC1 and installing the @trigger shield, and it will be all ready.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey @GG, just FYI 26" bighorns rub on the SSS skid plate at full lock.

392B8D91 C792 4805 95B8 BF4F74F75AF5

You can just see a mud print on the angled part of the skid in the picture.
They came UPS yesterday and instead of doing trailer maintenance and leisurely packing I threw them on and dumped everything in the trailer.
I think my wife has 4 cases of soda for 5 days.

Unloaded at RRB and discovered this.
Probably should have test driven it a little.
Oh well, going to have fun anyway.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Hey @GG, just FYI 26" bighorns rub on the SSS skid plate at full lock.

View attachment 275739

You can just see a mud print on the angled part of the skid in the picture.
They came UPS yesterday and instead of doing trailer maintenance and leisurely packing I threw them on and dumped everything in the trailer.
I think my wife has 4 cases of soda for 5 days.

Unloaded at RRB and discovered this.
Probably should have test driven it a little.
Oh well, going to have fun anyway.
Good looking out! I just threw them on but have to finish drilling and tapping them this evening. Tire carrier came as well, but they didn't include the right size bolts to put it together, so I had to grab some correct ones this evening. it also hangs waaaay off the back of the goat, so I'm gonna chop it up until it fits a bit tighter. gonna be a late night for me. Hoping to leave out of here by 2pm tomorrow for a roughly 8pm eta.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!