Future The Honda Talon 1000 is coming!

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Agreed! I’m making it a point to ride with more folks this time..
Me too I feel like I missed out on too much last time. I had some buddies there and it pulled me away from some of the fun. Going to try and do better this year.

Anyways back on subject. Honda, give me a d@mn Sport SxS to complain about the price but end up buying. I'm a cheap SOB but I'm to that point after learning the shortcomings of the Pioneer on Tennessee terrain Lol.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Honda completed the SC factory expansion late last year. American Honda just announced they will expand the Side by Side line up this year. With all the patents in the last few years we know about the bucket seats, at least a 4 point harness, 3 and 5 link suspension, etc. Its going to be an interesting year and there isn't much doubt the line up will include sport models.
heard this story for 2 years now....I don't see a sport Model Happening this year.at least not with the black clouded clutches.
Maybe color change of all black plastic or some safety crap or the 700 comes with mudd flaps or a new LCD screen,some tiny change. But I don't see new machines this year......
Just based off Honda's urge to jump right in.
I would bet on KTM or Suzuki have a sport first.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
heard this story for 2 years now....I don't see a sport Model Happening this year.at least not with the black clouded clutches.
Maybe color change of all black plastic or some safety crap or the 700 comes with mudd flaps or a new LCD screen,some tiny change. But I don't see new machines this year......
Just based off Honda's urge to jump right in.
I would bet on KTM or Suzuki have a sport first.
I honestly don't see it happening this year either. Maybe it's because I've been anxiously waiting for it and after almost 2yrs I'm getting tired of waiting. Heck if they'd release a long travel kit and bucket seats on a Pioneer, I'd be happy. At least I think I would Lol.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I bought the Big Red. I've been waiting on a sport model from Honda but, I buy what's available now and bought a 2011 RZR 900, a 2012 RZR 570, and a 2016 Yamaha YXZ sport model. Got nearly 13,000 miles on the Yamaha but had a few failures. My 2016 P1000-3 has had no failures, just cut a rear tire and oil changes in about 10,400 miles. I want Honda quality. The Honda Sport models may have an all new engine / transmission package. The twin could easily have 90 to 100 hp which will be enough to have a high fun factor but not enough for racing and the dunes. The new models should be announced by mid year and Honda may have a teaser video. Honda expanded the South Carolina factory for more production capacity with the new models. About 3 years ago Honda stated they are going after Polaris to be number 1 in side by side sales. They will need a couple more Pioneer models and several sport models to do that. Can-Am has several new recent models now and they are going after Polaris too. The waiting really sucks but if there is nothing by September I'm going to buy the 2019 Yamaha YXZ 6 speed model with the paddle shifters.

H

HondaTech

Honda had told us they expected to have over 20 models in a few years.

If you count was they've got now (I didn't count deluxe vs non deluxe) then they've only got 5. If you count deluxe models then they've got 11.

P500
P7002/DLX
P7004/DLX
P1K/EPS/LE
P1K5/DELUXE/LE
Got a long way to go depending on how their counting.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I expect a longer P1000 with 4 or 5 large seats like the Teryx. At least 2 sport models this year and more would be nice. Honda will need at least 12 models to compete with Polaris and Can-Am too. Honda has a lot of ageing Baja racers that know Baja well so I do expect a race team in the future when they have a 1000 cc 200 hp Turbo Sport Model. That market is small so it may be a few years in the future. The sport models this year may be 2 and 4 seat models with the 1000cc twin engine in the center. One thing is for sure Honda will have a Sport Model this year.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda had told us they expected to have over 20 models in a few years.

If you count was they've got now (I didn't count deluxe vs non deluxe) then they've only got 5. If you count deluxe models then they've got 11.

P500
P7002/DLX
P7004/DLX
P1K/EPS/LE
P1K5/DELUXE/LE
Got a long way to go depending on how their counting.
Hopefully they don’t rush them all in. I love the 1000 more then any other rig but they did miss a couple major things in development/testing and assembly has proved to be a bit underlooked to get models out. A truly awesome machine but not like the other Honda’s we’ve seen on quality. Still new to the market, hopefully they’ve learned a couple things and I for one sure expect great future for our brand

H

HondaTech

Hopefully they don’t rush them all in. I love the 1000 more then any other rig but they did miss a couple major things in development/testing and assembly has proved to be a bit underlooked to get models out. A truly awesome machine but not like the other Honda’s we’ve seen on quality. Still new to the market, hopefully they’ve learned a couple things and I for one sure expect great future for our brand

The reps I've talked to have said the clutch issue with the P1K was unprecedented. The fact it was Honda made it even worse, they said if this was Polaris or whoever else, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. But Honda just doesn't do that stuff. That's part of the reason they've taken so long, they don't want another cluster like that again.

But look what's coming out this year not just in SXS but in the motorcycle world. The Goldwing is getting a 7 speed DCT, a couple other street bikes have a new mode for a more direct drive clutch. Their trying this stuff in other machines to judge what works and what doesn't or what people want.

I really like this new engine the P1K came with. It's proven solid with some higher mileage guys out there. I don't think the basic frame of that powerplant will change anytime soon. They've already shown the top end swapped from an Africa Twin can improve power. So I foresee this thing taking plenty of abuse before its retired.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
HondaTech is right. Polaris would sell you the update. They screwed me on my Ranger 900, RZR 900, and RZR 570. Had lots of brakeage due to the miles I put on. Most everything that breaks is a maintenance item and not covered. Got over 10,600 miles now and nothing broke. Going to get the clutch update kit installed next week. This is my Sport model for now. My Yamaha YXZ has had a few failures in 13,000 miles. I don't trust anything on my long remote rides and had to ride my Suzuki several times with my Polaris models plus the RZR's didn't have enough room for a larger motorcycle.

P1000S 1
P1000sport

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The reps I've talked to have said the clutch issue with the P1K was unprecedented. The fact it was Honda made it even worse, they said if this was Polaris or whoever else, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. But Honda just doesn't do that stuff. That's part of the reason they've taken so long, they don't want another cluster like that again.

But look what's coming out this year not just in SXS but in the motorcycle world. The Goldwing is getting a 7 speed DCT, a couple other street bikes have a new mode for a more direct drive clutch. Their trying this stuff in other machines to judge what works and what doesn't or what people want.

I really like this new engine the P1K came with. It's proven solid with some higher mileage guys out there. I don't think the basic frame of that powerplant will change anytime soon. They've already shown the top end swapped from an Africa Twin can improve power. So I foresee this thing taking plenty of abuse before its retired.
All of the Pioneers have experienced things not "Honda-like" if you ask me. Brand new machines with hoses undone, gaskets forgot, loose bolts, etc. They also missed things that were blatantly obvious. Seat heat problems, dust problems, no manual shifting in the earlier 700s, water ingesting problems with the 1000, crappy storage compartments, etc. Spend some time in a seat of one of these units and you can quickly notice several of the shortcomings. How did the people testing miss this stuff? I'm a Honda fan simply because I think they produce good reliable products. However, I will say owning my Pioneer has left me questioning Honda for the first time in my life. I have a 700 so it is damn near bullet proof. I would've already moved to a 1000 but the clutch debacle scared me away. I look forward to seeing what they produce in the Sport market but I won't buy just because it has a Honda badge. Maybe before but not now... Honda has to prove to me they are dedicated to fixing these problems. These machines are nothing more than a toy I'm going to take in the woods probably 10-15 weekends out of the year. I understand all the other SxS brands have issues that are worse than Honda. However, I always put Honda in their own league from a dependability standpoint. No one can convince me that a really good quality SxS can't be built from the factory. The first brand that does so will take the market by storm IMO. I honestly believe Honda can if they will put forth more effort. I am still driving my 700 because I don't want to spend money on a toy that I can't trust to get me back to my campsite/trailer. Until I am convinced I reckon I'll keep putting around in my trusty ol 700 Lol.

S

Ship4brains

Aug 4, 2015
I will NOT purchase any Honda vehicle with the dual clutch transmission, especially considering the transmission components share the same lubrication as the engine. No. Never.

I got tired of waiting for this and bought a Yamaha YXZ. Manual transmission. Transmission case is divorced from engine. No cross contamination of clutch fibers/tranny junk into the engine lube. It just makes sense.

I have a Pioneer 700 I use for most trail riding. The little turd is slow, but rock solid. The torque converter is perfect for slow riding, stop and go riding, and trail crawling. Double the HP, add 2 more gears and I'd be interested.

Reactions: Farmer
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I will NOT purchase any Honda vehicle with the dual clutch transmission, especially considering the transmission components share the same lubrication as the engine. No. Never.

I got tired of waiting for this and bought a Yamaha YXZ. Manual transmission. Transmission case is divorced from engine. No cross contamination of clutch fibers/tranny junk into the engine lube. It just makes sense.

I have a Pioneer 700 I use for most trail riding. The little turd is slow, but rock solid. The torque converter is perfect for slow riding, stop and go riding, and trail crawling. Double the HP, add 2 more gears and I'd be interested.
I've considered going with a Yamaha myself. I actually have a Yamaha AR230 boat with twin MR1 engines. That boat has been virtually trouble free for over 8yrs now! I can't say enough how much I've enjoyed it...
I want to be picky with my next purchase. Let's be honest the resale on SxS's is a joke. You might as well accept that you will spend at least a few thousand on accessories and still lose money if you sell. The next ride I get I want to keep for several years.
The thing that bothers me about the Yamaha YXZ is the rear end. IMO it looks hideous. I've tried to like it but I hate how the plastics come to a point on the rear sides. It looks so unfinished! I'm not crazy about the bed either...
My 700 has been an absolute tank. The thing is constantly impressing my RZR buddies and me for that matter. There hasn't been a place yet that I haven't been able to follow them. Which says a lot because we ride about as rough of terrain that you can ride anywhere. If my 700 had more top end, a little more HP, and a long travel kit, I'd drive it until the wheels fell off!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!