P1000 The honest what I like and don't like thread...

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
With sone of the recent activity on one of the threads about possible problems, I got to thinking.....What if we had an honest thread based on what I love about my machine and what i found to be disappointing. What I could do without or what I now can't live without. The reason for this is to inform all the people thinking of purchasing a new Honda sxs, whether this be to upgrade or first time buyer. Also don't think for one minute that Honda R&D are not reading this forum.

I am one of these people who spends a great deal of time researching my next purchase and I know I'm not alone. When I decided I wanted to purchase a sxs I read on all of the forums for all of the manufacturer. One thing that was consultant was how everyone loves their machines and they are so much better than the next manufacturer but you always read that one post from someone being honest and saying " I experienced a problem with ????" Then you get a bunch of guys saying "glad you said that because I thought I was the only one with that issue". Not to dwell on the negatives but in order to be informed you need to know the good, the bad and the ugly. I think the guys on this forum are very forthcoming with what they like and dislike but it would be good to have in one spot.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
First thing I noticed tieing my down that I didn't like is there is no real good solid recovery point in the front. My RZR900 XP had a 3/8 thick steel loop that was great to tie to and could use it as point to put a tow strap too. It was tied into the frame very solid.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I never added why I'm buying a Honda. The reason for me was simple, I wanted a machine that will be reliable, well built and last. I want to ride way out in the bush and not worry about not making it back home. I always buy with the mindset that this will be something I will own for many many years. The price of Honda's sxs are very competitive which made my decision that much easier. I have looked at all the other makes out there but I can honestly say that reading reviews and this forum weighed heavily on my decision.

Reactions: franzw
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
One other minor thing is their instructions for things suck. All their add on parts instructions are horrible. I think they are one step above those cheap Chinese things you get and the instructions are in chiengrish. At least the parts themselves seem to be of high quality so far. But guys that aren't used to working on things might really struggle to put together some of this stuff.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never added why I'm buying a Honda. The reason for me was simple, I wanted a machine that will be reliable, well built and last. I want to ride way out in the bush and not worry about not making it back home. I always buy with the mindset that this will be something I will own for many many years. The price of Honda's sxs are very competitive which made my decision that much easier. I have looked at all the other makes out there but I can honestly say that reading reviews and this forum weighed heavily on my decision.
Feel the same way, owned a 86 honda fourtrax for 28 years, never had a problem with it. Always got me up the mountain and dragged my big game back to camp. Then around home used it to haul trailers around. Also had other honda products including few generators, 3 wheel big red, etc. All very reliable. Thats why I chose the 1000 pk deluxe. Did not want to compromise on quality.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Only things I dont like about the pioneer 1000-5 so far is 3 minor things.

1.....the doors. They need to use bushing(washers) on both sides to take up the slack on the up and down travel to get rid of the rattle. I did this myself.

2.....the intake being right up front in the hood. Make sure you snorkel it before you even think about hitting water . Guys sitting here saying wth is scooterchris talking about. Just think. I bet some people are even getting water in there intake tube just by washing the unit and dont even know it.

3.....is so teedius its not just my unit tho. The spring in the back seatbelt catch makes a god awful noise sometimes when accelerating. Some people might think its one of there axles or something.

But other than that shes a badass.... so far

Had a little hick up with a code popping up. (Low voltage while shifting or something)
Caused my pioneer to act like it didnt know when to shift, kinda looking for powerband. Made a hissing noise (still dont know if they are related) took it to honda. They checked it over. Cleared the codes and said all was good. Rode it last night. Runs like a champ

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has taken me everywhere I wanted to go, and even some places that I didn't really want to go! Chased Razors up the steep rocky stuff and got through all the gooey peanut butter mud holes that we have around here. I romped down on it in one particularly sticky hole, and when it hit 3rd gear (in low) it shot out of the hole so fast that I dang near hit a tree! I have no doubts that the machine is very capable.
The cockpit positions the rider for good vision and easy control of the vehicle. I'm a normal size guy, 6' tall and I like the "fit".
I'm happy with the acceleration and braking too.
On the negative side, twice now I have experienced a situation where the vehicle feels like it is struggling for gas, and won't accelerate. Both times I turned the vehicle off and back on and the issue went away. I checked the spark arrestor after the first time, and it was clean. I cleaned it anyway, and slightly enlarged some of the screen holes around the perimeter to make sure it was able to breath. I hoped that would fix it, but now after experiencing it again this past weekend, I'm not sure what it is. Bad gas maybe, but then why would it be fixed by turning it off and then back on. Sadly, this is not an issue that will ever be re-creatable at the shop, and it isn't throwing any codes or lights. Fortunately this issue has only been a minor inconvenience so far.
Only other issue I've had is clutch shudder. On my first ride out, I got in a tight spot where I had to do a 3 or 4 point turn. During the turn, I was having to reverse up a steep hill with large rocks all around and a creek below me. I was going easy and trying not to slam into the rocks, so the vehicle stayed "in the clutch zone" and shuddered badly while backing up each time. I could tell it didn't like it, but there wasn't much I could do about it in that situation. Since then, the clutches shudder when I'm trying to ease backward even on flat ground (like trying to pull out of my shop being careful not to get hung up on a door jamb). I'm not sure what to make of this considering the 2 or 3 other people on here who have what appear to be smoked clutches. @Serial_Fordicator smoked his in a situation very similar to the situation I described above. I think I may have damaged mine backing up a steep hill, but having to go slow and not being able to fully engage the clutch. So, yes, I am very interested to hear how his shop diagnoses and fixes this issue, and I hope he presses them for details about the repair and shares them with us.
Overall, I am happy with the machine, but a little bit concerned about the above issues. I bought the extended warranty, so I'm not too worried. I've been around long enough to know that any new technology or just new application for old technology comes with some risk of having to work through the bugs. I would buy it again, and I expect that a company with a reputation like Honda will work out all the kinks. Reputation is huge in the SxS/ATV world, and I don't expect Honda to let theirs take too much heat over issues that should be easily addressed.

Last edited:
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I really enjoy the pioneer so far, I have about 115 miles on it now. My points of comparison are against two other can-am commanders (one with power steering and one without). The tranny is so smooth and the ride is amazing compared to the commander. The Pioneer is also very quiet, the tranny doesn't make all the racket that CVT did in the can ham.

For the bad, Its not really a complaint but more of an area for improvement. The gear reduction in the transfer case (going to low range) is not nearly enough. I think its a 2:1 gear reduction and that is not even as much as a basic "sport" Jeep wrangler. The Rubicon Jeep wranger is a 4:1 gear reduction and I think if the Pioneer had that much reduction for low range it would be PERFECT!

I am awaiting the portal lift to come out just so I can gain the 30% gear reduction and that should solve my only complaint.

Overall, I could not ask for anything better in a side x side!!

BTW, my brother had a Yamaha Rhino and this is leaps and bounds better than that as well. That thing rode like it had no shocks and the seats were terrible...

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had the polaris ranger 900xp and now I have the pioneer 1000-3. There are positives and negatives for both. The things that the polaris had that I liked was you could use one hand to open the tailgate, it was lighter, softer suspension,accessories are very easy to put on, push button 4x4 2x4 1x4. Cons for polaris belt driven, felt cheap, seats wore out. Cons for pioneer it's very heavy, no storage, it's loud especially with the windshield and roof on. But if I were reading this to make a decision the pioneer just feels like a better stronger made machine with with high quality parts. If you know how to deal you could get the honda cheaper and refuse to pay paperwork and destination charges. If anyone has questions about either just reply and I will get back ASAP.

Reactions: McPioneer
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Mine has taken me everywhere I wanted to go, and even some places that I didn't really want to go! Chased Razors up the steep rocky stuff and got through all the gooey peanut butter mud holes that we have around here. I romped down on it in one particularly sticky hole, and when it hit 3rd gear (in low) it shot out of the hole so fast that I dang near hit a tree! I have no doubts that the machine is very capable.
The cockpit positions the rider for good vision and easy control of the vehicle. I'm a normal size guy, 6' tall and I like the "fit".
I'm happy with the acceleration and braking too.
On the negative side, twice now I have experienced a situation where the vehicle feels like it is struggling for gas, and won't accelerate. Both times I turned the vehicle off and back on and the issue went away. I checked the spark arrestor after the first time, and it was clean. I cleaned it anyway, and slightly enlarged some of the screen holes around the perimeter to make sure it was able to breath. I hoped that would fix it, but now after experiencing it again this past weekend, I'm not sure what it is. Bad gas maybe, but then why would it be fixed by turning it off and then back on. Sadly, this is not an issue that will ever be re-creatable at the shop, and it isn't throwing any codes or lights. Fortunately this issue has only been a minor inconvenience so far.
Only other issue I've had is clutch shudder. On my first ride out, I got in a tight spot where I had to do a 3 or 4 point turn. During the turn, I was having to reverse up a steep hill with large rocks all around and a creek below me. I was going easy and trying not to slam into the rocks, so the vehicle stayed "in the clutch zone" and shuddered badly while backing up each time. I could tell it didn't like it, but there wasn't much I could do about it in that situation. Since then, the clutches shudder when I'm trying to ease backward even on flat ground (like trying to pull out of my shop being careful not to get hung up on a door jamb). I'm not sure what to make of this considering the 2 or 3 other people on here who have what appear to be smoked clutches. @Serial_Fordicator smoked his in a situation very similar to the situation I described above. I think I may have damaged mine backing up a steep hill, but having to go slow and not being able to fully engage the clutch. So, yes, I am very interested to hear how his shop diagnoses and fixes this issue, and I hope he presses them for details about the repair and shares them with us.
Overall, I am happy with the machine, but a little bit concerned about the above issues. I bought the extended warranty, so I'm not too worried. I've been around long enough to know that any new technology or just new application for old technology comes with some risk of having to work through the bugs. I would buy it again, and I expect that a company with a reputation like Honda will work out all the kinks. Reputation is huge in the SxS/ATV world, and I don't expect Honda to let theirs take too much heat over issues that should be easily addressed.
I finished mine off by backing it up a hill. The machine is nice but the reverse needs to be lower and we need lower gears. Does anyone really want to go 65?

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finished mine off by backing it up a hill. The machine is nice but the reverse needs to be lower and we need lower gears. Does anyone really want to go 65?
I guess 65 is good for some areas, but the trails I ride here in the mountains won't let me get over 45 before I have to slow down for something.
You know if you had let someone hold your beer while you backed up that hill, you might have made it!lol;) I guess I don't know how to drive either since I'm pretty sure that I just about smoked mine that day. :rolleyes: And I didn't even have any beers! In all seriousness, I hate to hear that you had this issue, and I hope they are able/willing to fully explain to you how they fixed it to make sure it won't happen again.

Reactions: Serial_Fordicator
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I finally got to drive mine this weekend. It was a night run and I was throughly impressed with it. The headlights are great at lower speeds but i felt like they didn't go out far enough for speeds above 40. I was blown away with how great the stock shocks rode. Even when we had 3 big guys up front and a bed full of wood or the other time when it was 5 people. The self leveling helped a lot in that department I think. Another thing I was really impressed with was its ability to do some gnarly hill climbs and always felt like it had traction. Definitely better than the RZR 900xp I had. It actually out climbed my buddies 900xp RZR. Another thing I liked was how easy the bed was to dump when we loaded it with wood. Fuel mileage seemed good too even running wide open most of the time.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
1. problems with shifter, couldnt catch neutral or low. stealership fixed under warranty, turned out the shifter cable bracket bolt came out so was sloppy.

2. seat belt used once and it never returned back in so i tied it up, replaced under warranty

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Just about done our breakin period, ready for first oil change today! Really impressed with how responsive it is, seems to have all the power we will need. Was out playing in some really big hills, it climbed amazing (mental note, make sure you engage diff lock if you are on a loose hill!). I am not super impressed with the soft cab system and the heater, it definitely could be better done. I can't get over how much air (and dust, if you are following someone) comes out the shifter area. All and all, I am very impressed with it! It is hard to remember to NOT to hold it on a hill with the gas peddle, (I am coming from an automotive background, not CVT) It will do that easily, but of course you are riding the clutch to do so, and it isn't obvious that it is terrible practise and putting your clutches in danger...I can see having to repeat this over and over to anyone who drives it in the future! Not a complaint of the machine, but it is a concern....
Overall, very happy with our purchase, if only I would stop spending money on it!! Lots of accessories to install yet...

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just about done our breakin period, ready for first oil change today! Really impressed with how responsive it is, seems to have all the power we will need. Was out playing in some really big hills, it climbed amazing (mental note, make sure you engage diff lock if you are on a loose hill!). I am not super impressed with the soft cab system and the heater, it definitely could be better done. I can't get over how much air (and dust, if you are following someone) comes out the shifter area. All and all, I am very impressed with it! It is hard to remember to NOT to hold it on a hill with the gas peddle, (I am coming from an automotive background, not CVT) It will do that easily, but of course you are riding the clutch to do so, and it isn't obvious that it is terrible practise and putting your clutches in danger...I can see having to repeat this over and over to anyone who drives it in the future! Not a complaint of the machine, but it is a concern....
Overall, very happy with our purchase, if only I would stop spending money on it!! Lots of accessories to install yet...
Good to know about clutch use or abuse. With regards to excess air coming thru shifter area , might be blessing on hot summer days, am running with full glass windshield.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I love what this machine can do. 140 miles so far. Rides better than expected for a utility based machine. Had half a can of Rockstar in the drink holder doing 25-30 MPH across some whoops, never splashed a drop. I've used 4x4 a couple of time out of necessity trying to climb and ice ledge at the river. A few diff lock tests to see how steep I could go. Every thing else has been 2wd.

The dislikes:
The little lock on the seat belts. I like to let the swap out driving. The little lock always seems to lock the buckle in the position for the last driver. May end up removing that piece.
The hole where the gas and brake pedal come thru the firewall. I wasn't expecting that when I splashed through a foot deep puddle. A lot of water came rushing though that hole, right over my boots. Got to figure a way to seal up the hole or redirect the water down.
Squeaks and rattles. Got find all the culprits.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I love what this machine can do. 140 miles so far. Rides better than expected for a utility based machine. Had half a can of Rockstar in the drink holder doing 25-30 MPH across some whoops, never splashed a drop. I've used 4x4 a couple of time out of necessity trying to climb and ice ledge at the river. A few diff lock tests to see how steep I could go. Every thing else has been 2wd.

The dislikes:
The little lock on the seat belts. I like to let the swap out driving. The little lock always seems to lock the buckle in the position for the last driver. May end up removing that piece.
The hole where the gas and brake pedal come thru the firewall. I wasn't expecting that when I splashed through a foot deep puddle. A lot of water came rushing though that hole, right over my boots. Got to figure a way to seal up the hole or redirect the water down.
Squeaks and rattles. Got find all the culprits.
I can help with the squeaks and rattles if you like. I've been narrowing them down for weeks now lmao

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I can help with the squeaks and rattles if you like. I've been narrowing them down for weeks now lmao

That would be great. Closest place for shake down runs is almost an hour drive. May be a thread with the common culprits and the methods to cure the problems could be started.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
That would be great. Closest place for shake down runs is almost an hour drive. May be a thread with the common culprits and the methods to cure the problems could be started.

You start the thread and I'll chime in.

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
I don't really have enough seat hours in yet to find much. But the window nets bug me, just seem to be in my way. I know they are like seatbelts, they are there for a reason, but I haven't used them. Has anyone taken them off and lived?

Second minor complaint, the cup holder on the dash will not hold the Yeti Koozee cup. Going to have to go to ram mounts for a solution.

I know those are minor, and the pluses by far out weigh the negatives. I've only driven it around my farm and my brother's land, and so far have only had it in turf mode, and have been thru some pretty steep stuff and little creek crossings. Real test comes this weekend when I go with the son in law and his buddies....keep me in your prayers....

Reactions: AirtimeAcres
advertisement