The new American way

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's outstanding dude! First that your dad hooked you up that way and taught you the value, and secondly that you had the temperament to heed his advice and build on it. Not everybody gets that leg up.good job.
Thanks Montecresto I appreciate it! Yes my Dad is a very wise man. Thankfully I listened to him. At 33 now both my wife and i have above average incomes. We save first and invest or play with the rest :) Lord willing we will retire early and quite comfortably! I am a very blessed man!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
"So we need parents to be teaching..."

I've been thinking about this. Here is what my parents believed.
Get an education. Get a good job with a good company and a good retirement plan. Work hard all your life and retire with some level of comfort.

I'm not so sure that's applicable today. I've seen many companies suspend their retirement plans. I've seen good strong companies sold and closed. Retirement plans are rarely offered today.

So what was good advice by wise parents 40 years ago might not be the best advice today.

I'm not sure how to advise my kids today.

Kmart....
sears....
Done
kids don't take to advice
they already know
everything. ..
just ask um

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Current tax code penalizes productivity & investment
Today's federal tax code does all the wrong things. It penalizes productivity, savings and investment, while rewarding inefficiency and designating winners and losers according to political whim. For far too long, tax laws have been used not just as a means to collect needed revenues, but as a weapon with which to manipulate our behavior, create and destroy industries and fulfill politicians' dreams of social engineering. The result is a tax code that is more than 70,000 pages long enforced by a government agency with almost 100,000 employees. It is a nothing less than a massive deployment of government force on our lives, our finances and our freedom.

From Gary Johnsons platform.

Reactions: JTW and LandPioneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank God I was raised different than most people my age. I worked very hard to get 6 months of living expenses in a savings account. It is amazing how much better you feel when you know you can afford (with cash) anything that comes along. I also was taught not to carry debt except for Houses. That being said I don't think there is any one place to save money. Diversifying yourself is the best strategy. My next goal however is setting up rental properties to get some mailbox money for when I retire LOL.
I've been owner financing properties. People make money on rentals too, I just don't want the hassle and the frustration of people tearing my stuff up. But you can make money in that.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been owner financing properties. People make money on rentals too, I just don't want the hassle and the frustration of people tearing my stuff up. But you can make money in that.
I totally see where you are coming from. I bought my first house when I was single and 23. I started renting it out 5yrs ago. Don't get me wrong there are headaches but I haven't paid the mortgage in 5yrs. Overall I feel better with the money I've made than the headaches I've had. I'm actually in the process of closing on another rental property. One day I hope to replace my income with paid for rental properties sending me money in the mail.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I totally see where you are coming from. I bought my first house when I was single and 23. I started renting it out 5yrs ago. Don't get me wrong there are headaches but I haven't paid the mortgage in 5yrs. Overall I feel better with the money I've made than the headaches I've had. I'm actually in the process of closing on another rental property. One day I hope to replace my income with paid for rental properties sending me money in the mail.
You're certainly doing it right!!!

J

JTW

You need to look into lease purchase options on your properties vs rentals. Basically the same thing as a contract for deed..

J

JTW

It appears that Americans are less thrifty and less likely to save. 60% have no retirement savings.
Most Americans have less than $1,000 in savings

What do you guys think is the best way to save??? I prefer realestate.

Now this is a subject we can agree on!! I'm not a fan of talking finances with people I don't know BUT I think it's an important discussion that needs to be had. Our society today if freak'n clueless!!

Reactions: LandPioneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last edited:
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree that people in my generation will most likely see nothing for Social Security. I honestly wish they would do way with it. I would gladly give up all I've put in to be able to invest that money myself. I'd even be in favor of ending it now for the younger generation without changing everyone's status that is already in. Just set them up with their own ROTH and let them contribute themselves.
Every generation in the past has given a dooms day prediction about the future. Truth is America runs in cycles (so far). Conservatives control for a while and then the liberals. Do I think we are in the worst place yet? Possibly... However, going off the past I believe everything will eventually straighten back out. If it doesn't I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Gov't will be able to take a piece of property just as easy as a retirement account. So I'm going to continue doing what I think is right and pray it all shakes out like I plan. If it doesn't I'll try to figure something else out because I'm pretty good at problem solving :)

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree that people in my generation will most likely see nothing for Social Security. I honestly wish they would do way with it. I would gladly give up all I've put in to be able to invest that money myself. I'd even be in favor of ending it now for the younger generation without changing everyone's status that is already in. Just set them up with their own ROTH and let them contribute themselves.
Every generation in the past has given a dooms day prediction about the future. Truth is America runs in cycles (so far). Conservatives control for a while and then the liberals. Do I think we are in the worst place yet? Possibly... However, going off the past I believe everything will eventually straighten back out. If it doesn't I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Gov't will be able to take a piece of property just as easy as a retirement account. So I'm going to continue doing what I think is right and pray it all shakes out like I plan. If it doesn't I'll try to figure something else out because I'm pretty good at problem solving :)
So when social security was conceived, it was to be one leg of a three legged stool. The other two being employer pension plans and personal savings. Today, the stool often has just two legs and for many just one leg. Also, when my dad entered the work force in 1946 SS was just 1%, what's it up to now. My dad began drawing SS at 62 and he's now 92 having overdrawn his SS account a long time ago. This isn't sustainable. But there are solutions to it.

There's no "doomsday" scenario being espoused, as in the end of the world, but bad things do and have happened. The over extended government of Greece "borrowed" their citizens retirement money. Our nation is 20 trillion in debt. ;) Yes, a government could seize property, but that presents them with management obligations which makes money setting in accounts more attractive. Saving is like a stool with multiple legs, gold, realestate, stock, retirement savings plans, etc.,Posting material from economists that teach the merits of including realestate in your retirement plan is meant to be constructive, not critical. :)

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
So when social security was conceived, it was to be one leg of a three legged stool. The other two being employer pension plans and personal savings. Today, the stool often has just two legs and for many just one leg. Also, when my dad entered the work force in 1946 SS was just 1%, what's it up to now. My dad began drawing SS at 62 and he's now 92 having overdrawn his SS account a long time ago. This isn't sustainable. But there are solutions to it.

There's no "doomsday" scenario being espoused, as in the end of the world, but bad things do and have happened. The over extended government of Greece "borrowed" their citizens retirement money. Our nation is 20 trillion in debt. ;) Yes, a government could seize property, but that presents them with management obligations which makes money setting in accounts more attractive. Saving is like a stool with multiple legs, gold, realestate, stock, retirement savings plans, etc.,Posting material from economists that teach the merits of including realestate in your retirement plan is meant to be constructive, not critical. :)
I agree with all of the above. I just hear from a lot of people my age that they aren't going to contribute to stock accounts because they fear they won't see it. All I was saying is nothing is guaranteed. You can lose one just as easy as the other. Not saving because of what might happen is like not leaving the house because you might get the flu. Diversify and don't put your eggs all in one basket and odds are you'll be fine :D

Reactions: rocmar
J

JTW

I agree with all of the above. I just hear from a lot of people my age that they aren't going to contribute to stock accounts because they fear they won't see it. All I was saying is nothing is guaranteed. You can lose one just as easy as the other. Not saving because of what might happen is like not leaving the house because you might get the flu. Diversify and don't put your eggs all in one basket and odds are you'll be fine :D
You leave the house during flu seasons??!!

LP, I believe that for our generation (I'm 31) we need to take a hard look at how those during the depression made it out. Obviously, property taxes during a crash pose an issue. But can you imagine having to make payments after everything has crashed? With 20 trillion in debt we are facing economic collapse like never before. This is a whole new beast! I agree that we have to measure the weight of the extent we're willing to risk. To me the stock market is like giving your money to a professional gambler for the long haul. Did you know you can use your IRA to purchase and shelter the profits made on real estate? It's a measure of giving you more control over your money and if you're wanting to do rentals, that may be a good option for you to consider. I tend to be excessively conservative on investments. However, my game plan is fixing to change as I'm about debt free on the house by years end. That's $400k of debt free equity. Good newer vehicles that are paid for. Lots and lots of toys that are paid for and about a years worth of pay in the bank as savings. And a couple small rental/flip homes that are paid for. Obviously, the savings isn't making me money as it is. After the house is done I have to start considering new investment plans as the debt is gone. So what to do now? I don't trust the economy enough to put much into stock based investments. I realize it's a great problem to have but it's also a major consider action and concern to maintain wealth. By the way.. We own a real estate company so that's kinda my thing. I suggest people to focus on investing in what they know!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, I hear that a lot too. It's become beyond the pale viciously predatory and earnings are so marginal. When I was a very young man your checking account earned you interest, short term CD's paid 5% and it was somewhat common to see stocks split. You don't see that anymore, and the government seems more determined to discourage saving than to encourage it. So I can see the discouragement amongst younger people.

As mentioned earlier, we have now the instant gratification crowd, typically the under 40 (not painting with too broad a brush, there are exceptions as yourself) age bracket, so you have that lack of motivation, coupled with the somewhat scarce human trait of self discipline, a more vicious capitalism than I grew up with and a government in the way. That's why this is good to talk about.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
You leave the house during flu seasons??!!

LP, I believe that for our generation (I'm 31) we need to take a hard look at how those during the depression made it out. Obviously, property taxes during a crash pose an issue. But can you imagine having to make payments after everything has crashed? With 20 trillion in debt we are facing economic collapse like never before. This is a whole new beast! I agree that we have to measure the weight of the extent we're willing to risk. To me the stock market is like giving your money to a professional gambler for the long haul. Did you know you can use your IRA to purchase and shelter the profits made on real estate? It's a measure of giving you more control over your money and if you're wanting to do rentals, that may be a good option for you to consider. I tend to be excessively conservative on investments. However, my game plan is fixing to change as I'm about debt free on the house by years end. That's $400k of debt free equity. Good newer vehicles that are paid for. Lots and lots of toys that are paid for and about a years worth of pay in the bank as savings. And a couple small rental/flip homes that are paid for. Obviously, the savings isn't making me money as it is. After the house is done I have to start considering new investment plans as the debt is gone. So what to do now? I don't trust the economy enough to put much into stock based investments. I realize it's a great problem to have but it's also a major consider action and concern to maintain wealth. By the way.. We own a real estate company so that's kinda my thing. I suggest people to focus on investing in what they know!
Yes I agree it is scary on the amount of debt. However, the more I think about it I ask myself what are they going to do? Call all the debt in? Heck we owe the most debt to our own government (probably a third). Most people don't realize what we owe China is a drop in the bucket. Will something happen eventually? Most likely but none of us know what, when or how. The most concerning part is we aren't doing anything to change our habits. We keep going into the red further and further and further with no plan.
As for the stock market I go off historical data. History says the stock market will average around 10%/yr over a 30yr period. Investing (in the stock market) is more about patience and discipline than timing. A lot of money is made and lost when people freak out because of the rise and fall. I invest heavily during down times because it always comes back.
Either way you and I are in the minority. If we had more people our age in a forum actually discussing real topics (instead of the new Playstation Football game or who got voted off Big Brother) we might could start digging out of the hole. The problem is I don't see anyone trying to solve real problems. Instead they are redirecting our attention to Black Lives Matter, NFL players not standing for the National Anthem, etc. etc. I fear something bad will need to happen for our generation to want to stand up and fight for the country that is slowly slipping away from us.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Funny.....
no one has brought
up....GOLD & SILVER

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It appears that Americans are less thrifty and less likely to save. 60% have no retirement savings.
Most Americans have less than $1,000 in savings

What do you guys think is the best way to save??? I prefer realestate.

Well saving in the bank won't do you any good with almost zero interest. I'd say you're right in with the real estate. It's only a matter of time before these record highs in the stock market are a distant memory. I'll admit, I have practically no savings. Just got my wife through college tho, so that should change soon now that she's started working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My stance is don't depend on a company. I save for myself. My Dad opened a ROTH IRA in my name when I was 18. He taught me to contribute first before spending on anything else. You don't save by saving whatever is left over. You learn to make do without that 15% you save.
I now have a company 401k which I contribute to however, I have been maxing out my ROTH for almost 10yrs. Now that those are in place, I'm trying to diversify with rental properties.

You're so right about not depending on a company. I'll add to that: I can't depend on a company, the government, or anyone else. It's all on me. By the time I retire, (I'll be dead) social security will be long bankrupt.

If we don't start taking care of ourselves by planning for the future, no one else will.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Funny.....
no one has brought
up....GOLD & SILVER

The way I look at that, if things go real bad, it will take 100 pounds of gold to buy a loaf of bread.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The way I look at that, if things go real bad, it will take 100 pounds of gold to buy a loaf of bread.

Can't live your life.
on wat if
been in gold & silver....for 40 yrs
....& not to brag....but did well
for myself & family

Reactions: JTW and ehart814
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!