Thinking about getting a new truck...

codyroach

codyroach

Jul 30, 2019
Ruston, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was very surprised that my 13 Jeep wrangler 3.6 v6 pulls my pioneer a lot better than my wife's Suburban with the 5.3 v8.

20190816 093415

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Anybody know anything about the Ram Eco-Diesels? I know they weren't well received when they first came out because the engines were s***ting the bed, but that was 2014 or 2015 I think.

D

DDDonkey

There is a big issue right now with the eco-diesel‘s something to do with a re-tune in loss of mile per gallon and power.

Reactions: Adam490
J

JTW

If you’re pulling any distance.. make sure you get something with a large tank. Stopping every 200 miles is crap!

Reactions: Tigermark
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If you’re pulling any distance.. make sure you get something with a large tank. Stopping every 200 miles is crap!
That's a big reason for the upgrade! Definitely sucks

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Under a couple hundred miles you can get away pretty much anything towing. If your going farther and the load is over 3000lbs just do yourself a favor and get the 3/4ton.

Reactions: KyleC and Choogsbro
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll never buy another chevy truck. I'll say the ford eco boost is pretty damn impressive at towing power.

Drive em all, buy what you like.

Eventually this will turn into a Cummins guys vs. The world thread lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll never buy another chevy truck. I'll say the ford eco boost is pretty damn impressive at towing power.

Drive em all, buy what you like.

Eventually this will turn into a Cummins guys vs. The world thread lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hey man... Ecoboost is weak sauce!

Go Powerstroke or go home!’

Diverguy

Diverguy

Oct 8, 2018
PA, USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I went from an F150 to a Tundra back in 2013...I'm now on my second Tundra and I love it! Not the best on gas, but that's not why I bought it. I get 16 around town. I look for reliability above all....my F150 did NOT fill that need. *note-I'm on my second Tundra due to going in for a dealer service in my first one and falling in love with one that just rolled off the carrier.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Been thinking about moving to a full size pickup. I've driven Tacoma's for the last 10 years or so and love them primarily because of the size and reliability. I also never had a use for a full size since all I had was a kayak or my Rubicon to haul around. Fast forward a few years and now I've got the P1k5 and my father bought a house with 30 acres so he's got a large JD tractor and commercial lawn equipment. It would be nice to be able to borrow the tractor every now and then without also having to take his truck (Chevy 2500HD), so I'm leaning towards a full size. Definitely don't need/want a 1/2 ton.

Have any of you gone from mid-size to a full size and had any regrets?

Next question...I know this usually turns into a pissing match between the brands, and I'm leaning towards an Ecoboost F150, but pros/cons to each brand? Any issues with the aluminum body Fords? What's real world MPG when cruising the interstate without a trailer?

If you get a Ford, try to find one with the max tow package for the reasons that JTW listed. If your getting a EB then stay with 2017 and later. The 2011-2016 was the first gen with some issues.

If you get a Ram, that air suspension they have is pretty damn sweet so look for that option if towing. Also the Ram boxes would be cool.

If getting a Gov Motors truck, good luck....kidding. For sure get the 5.3 at minimum.

Don’t forget about the Titan. (Not the new one). One of my coworkers had a titan that lasted forever and he abused that truck. It was poor on fuel mileage but it was a good half ton.

Tundra might be had for a good deal if you find one with high mileage but has good service records. I wouldn’t be afraid of that.

For the half ton diesels, I’m a little scared of them as they are not built like those for heavy trucks. The F-150 diesel has been around a while in the Range Rover so you can do some research there. That new Chevy in-line 6 looks awesome but first year is scary. The Ram diesel has had some issues but it appears to be improved.

Basically, drive no less than a dozen trucks before you make a decision. You can’t base your opinion of a vehicle just by driving one because it could be a lot better than the others or it could be a lot worse. So at least drive a couple from each manufacturer.

If you decide you don’t to want to go full size, check out the new Ranger with 7500lb tow rating. May be an option.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I went from an F150 to a Tundra back in 2013...I'm now on my second Tundra and I love it! Not the best on gas, but that's not why I bought it. I get 16 around town. I look for reliability above all....my F150 did NOT fill that need. *note-I'm on my second Tundra due to going in for a dealer service in my first one and falling in love with one that just rolled off the carrier.
I really like the Tundra but just can't live with the MPG. I've got a few friends that have them and they get about the same MPG as I do in the Tacoma when hooked up. I'm a Toyota guy all the way but they really need to do something with the engine in the next gen.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If you get a Ford, try to find one with the max tow package for the reasons that JTW listed. If your getting a EB then stay with 2017 and later. The 2011-2016 was the first gen with some issues.

If you get a Ram, that air suspension they have is pretty damn sweet so look for that option if towing. Also the Ram boxes would be cool.

If getting a Gov Motors truck, good luck....kidding. For sure get the 5.3 at minimum.

Don’t forget about the Titan. (Not the new one). One of my coworkers had a titan that lasted forever and he abused that truck. It was poor on fuel mileage but it was a good half ton.

Tundra might be had for a good deal if you find one with high mileage but has good service records. I wouldn’t be afraid of that.

For the half ton diesels, I’m a little scared of them as they are not built like those for heavy trucks. The F-150 diesel has been around a while in the Range Rover so you can do some research there. That new Chevy in-line 6 looks awesome but first year is scary. The Ram diesel has had some issues but it appears to be improved.

Basically, drive no less than a dozen trucks before you make a decision. You can’t base your opinion of a vehicle just by driving one because it could be a lot better than the others or it could be a lot worse. So at least drive a couple from each manufacturer.

If you decide you don’t to want to go full size, check out the new Ranger with 7500lb tow rating. May be an option.
Thanks, good info. I'm definitely going to drive a bunch of them before I settle on anything. Trying to be brand neutral when looking but damn the internet makes that hard to do! If I wasn't worried about MPG I'd already be in a Tundra.

I'll never drive Nissan. I've got two buddies that bought the 1st Gen Titans and both spent significant time in the shop. Good looking trucks but not for me. I've heard horror stories about the new ones.

The Rams looking more appealing , I just don't know anybody who has one. Definitely going to drive a few.

What issues did the 1st Gen EB have? I see a ton of 2011-2016 for sale hovering around 100k miles and not a lot of higher mileage units.

I'm staying away from the small diesels. The more I read about them the less appealing they are.

Reactions: JTW
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Also, I'm definitely going with a used truck. Probably 2015-2017 range. Any models I should avoid?

In 2016 I was looking for a used, late model truck. I shopped and shopped... Found the truck I wanted. 2014 with 29000 miles for 29,900. Wouldn't move on the price. Kept shopping, went out of state. Found a new 2016 - same truck, same equipment. NEW for 31,685 about 12000 off sticker. Bought the new truck and I love it.

I don't understand how trucks can hold their value so well. It makes zero sense to me to buy a used truck when you can buy a new one with full warranty for a couple grand more... Ram has been buying market share for a few years now, and it's working. Take advantage of the deep discounts.

Then again, as @trigger said - The smart move is to keep what you have.

Reactions: TripleB and JTW
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
had them all for a number of years and had them for work trucks that get beat everyday all day, the chevies last the longest under this kind of use, ford develop a ton of issues after 100k as do dodge, dodge are very expensive to keep after 60k, when electrics and cams and crap start going. the 5.3 is the engine o get they have the best real world milage and towing if you intend on driving it everyday. the only things that are bad about them is the rust but i always look for one thats been under coated and drive it to 200k+ the least costly issues doing this kind of mileage of the 3

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!