ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 217,042 miles/ 2 recalls no problems. 13-15mpg highway, 9-11 towing up to 12,000lbs in my case.
I rarely comment on MPG. Good to see someone actually post real world numbers. Your numbers are almost exactly what we get with our dually cummins. Though I have seen it go below 8 mpg towing a 40' high cube shipping container. Those things are too big for a little truck!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll never buy another chevy truck. I'll say the ford eco boost is pretty damn impressive at towing power.

Drive em all, buy what you like.

Eventually this will turn into a Cummins guys vs. The world thread lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11187A59 464E 4F19 82AC 326E6A4EB5B3

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'd buy a Toyota truck in a heartbeat if they weren't so crazy expensive. Made in San Antonio, TX, been to the factory. Gonna take a lot more than a $2500 rebate to get me to bite though. I've never talked to anyone that owned one that didn't like it. I'm sure they will come up with lots of new cool stuff, but you have to respect the "if it ain't broke..." mentality when it comes to vehicles.

advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sorry gentlemen... [HASHTAG]#sarcasm[/HASHTAG] should have been engaged ;)
Lol, if you haven't dealt with shipping containers it would read the way you read it. I got a good laugh thinking about how bad that would suck, trying to tow a 40' high load.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
More fuel for the CUMMINS fire! The engine in this tractor (like several other models of tractor) is a good old 5.9 liter CUMMINS. It has almost 8000 hours on it and still runs and works like new.
IMG 1498

Still haven't seen a tractor with a duramax or powerstroke...

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
One last derailment of the OPS thread.
View attachment 150909

As long as he doesn’t buy a Chevy he’s done right n my book.
MVIMG 20190102 130751

207k miles on this beast. Still running great, no issue. Well, other than the kids denting it up from running into s***.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
They place a lot of focus on HP and torque with these vehicles (f150s, Rams and Silverados)

I found that the transmission (3 occasions over 12 years) was the weak link.

When you find a model and year that interests you, go their forums and poke around.
See what real experiences, with that vehicle, are pulling after 100,000 miles.

Everyone loves them when they are new but just let the warranty run out and watch the tranny fluid pour out onto the grass and catch fire when you can't move a truck or the camper it was towing. (ask me how I know)

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
They place a lot of focus on HP and torque with these vehicles (f150s, Rams and Silverados)

I found that the transmission (3 occasions over 12 years) was the weak link.

When you find a model and year that interests you, go their forums and poke around.
See what real experiences, with that vehicle, are pulling after 100,000 miles.

Everyone loves them when they are new but just let the warranty run out and watch the tranny fluid pour out onto the grass and catch fire when you can't move a truck or the camper it was towing. (ask me how I know)
Servicing the unit on a regular basis gets it to make long-term obligations.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
If you get a Ford, try to find one with the max tow package for the reasons that JTW listed. If your getting a EB then stay with 2017 and later. The 2011-2016 was the first gen with some issues.

If you get a Ram, that air suspension they have is pretty damn sweet so look for that option if towing. Also the Ram boxes would be cool.

If getting a Gov Motors truck, good luck....kidding. For sure get the 5.3 at minimum.

Don’t forget about the Titan. (Not the new one). One of my coworkers had a titan that lasted forever and he abused that truck. It was poor on fuel mileage but it was a good half ton.

Tundra might be had for a good deal if you find one with high mileage but has good service records. I wouldn’t be afraid of that.

For the half ton diesels, I’m a little scared of them as they are not built like those for heavy trucks. The F-150 diesel has been around a while in the Range Rover so you can do some research there. That new Chevy in-line 6 looks awesome but first year is scary. The Ram diesel has had some issues but it appears to be improved.

Basically, drive no less than a dozen trucks before you make a decision. You can’t base your opinion of a vehicle just by driving one because it could be a lot better than the others or it could be a lot worse. So at least drive a couple from each manufacturer.

If you decide you don’t to want to go full size, check out the new Ranger with 7500lb tow rating. May be an option.
The new Jeep Gladiator is rated to tow 7000lbs.

Reactions: TimG
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!