Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
More fuel for the CUMMINS fire! The engine in this tractor (like several other models of tractor) is a good old 5.9 liter CUMMINS. It has almost 8000 hours on it and still runs and works like new.View attachment 150919
Still haven't seen a tractor with a duramax or powerstroke...
5.9 is pos. I’d never own one.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Seriously though ! my next time around will either be a Duramax or Cummins, starting to think seriously on a toy hauler. I had a Duramax a long time ago.Bosh injectors were replaced under warranty other than that no problems and great fuel mileage.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
They place a lot of focus on HP and torque with these vehicles (f150s, Rams and Silverados)

I found that the transmission (3 occasions over 12 years) was the weak link.

When you find a model and year that interests you, go their forums and poke around.
See what real experiences, with that vehicle, are pulling after 100,000 miles.

Everyone loves them when they are new but just let the warranty run out and watch the tranny fluid pour out onto the grass and catch fire when you can't move a truck or the camper it was towing. (ask me how I know)
This is exactly what I'm seeing. Going to drive a few of every model this weekend and see what I can cross off the list. Trying to read reviews on the internet is like winning the special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded. Every forum basically devolves into a pissing match between makes and if yours isn't what they are preaching it will blow the f*** up the next time you crank it.

I love the derails @ohanacreek let's keep it going! Lol

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can get the Tundra with a 38 gallon fuel tank, only thing I wish mine had (26 in mine). Mpg isn't the best, but not far off my f150 work truck. Most people that buy Tundras keep them a long time, something to consider.

Reactions: Adam490
J

JTW

They place a lot of focus on HP and torque with these vehicles (f150s, Rams and Silverados)

I found that the transmission (3 occasions over 12 years) was the weak link.

When you find a model and year that interests you, go their forums and poke around.
See what real experiences, with that vehicle, are pulling after 100,000 miles.

Everyone loves them when they are new but just let the warranty run out and watch the tranny fluid pour out onto the grass and catch fire when you can't move a truck or the camper it was towing. (ask me how I know)
Simple solution for that

J

JTW

Hit the the trip reset as I was pulling out of the house..
4D64E813 1F05 421E 9069 DCF079F2B67C

Just pulled into @Kilo427 place..

D3CC203C B62E 4298 B527 435A38F279D7

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is exactly what I'm seeing. Going to drive a few of every model this weekend and see what I can cross off the list. Trying to read reviews on the internet is like winning the special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded. Every forum basically devolves into a pissing match between makes and if yours isn't what they are preaching it will blow the f*** up the next time you crank it.

I love the derails @ohanacreek let's keep it going! Lol

It’s fun for a little bit but it can turn a thread worthless.

FWIW I’m in the market for a new truck. I will not consider Chevy after the complete lack Customer Service during the near constant recalls and issues I had. If their customer service had been more Chick-Fil-A and less McDonalds, I don’t think I would despise them the way I do. The truck had its issues but they were unwilling to fix or even acknowledge they existed. I had a Chevy Service Manager ride with me and his drink shake out of the cup in the cup holder and he would not acknowledge there was a vibration issue...Which turned out to be an out of balance drive shaft on a less than 200mile truck, not bent out of balance. I had to pay for it and they said I did it somehow, but I found the solution in a forum thread about the same issue....

I have a dozen more stories of asinine answers, outright lies, denials that issues existed...this was at 7dealers in 3 states. It’s was Chevrolet standard of service not dealer preference.
I’d buy a 30yo square body but I’ll never own any Chevy newer than 86’ and sure as Hell not take a vehicle for service there.

I don’t need a diesel nor want the added expense of owning one when I might save $200-400/year for fuel but pay $10k more for the truck plus added maintenance cost.

I’m looking at a 3.5EB F-150 or Fords new 7.3 Gas, What I will be towing will be around 8-11k, which I think a F-250 GAS would pull better than a F-150 even though the 150 is plenty enough truck with the tow rating to pull it. The Eco(or)Boost is a heck of a motor, the truck is nice if you get the niceties, if you get the XL don’t expect a nice interior.

The Dodge seems to be a decent enough truck, I’m not sure how it would pull 11-12k because I have no experience with it pulling that much, but the front ends in the 2500 seem to need to be rebuilt as often as a Polaris. I would stick with the 1500 if it personally fit MY tow rating needs. Customer service seems to be on par with Ford which is good in my book. Trucks are nice too if you get the niceties and don’t skimp and get one of the lower trims.

The Tundra SUCKS at fuel mileage but seems to otherwise be a very solid contender in the ½ ton segment. A little anemic for 12k towing which is why they aren’t at the top of my list. If I were pulling no more than about 7-9k I’d be looking at a TRD Tundra. It’s the best looking to me as well. Customer Service seems to be top notch as well.

Last point: The company I work for has a Ford Fleet of over 50,000 vehicles in the US alone because they are the lowest cost of ownership after purchase by a large margin. All the engines are EB or Diesel.

Dodge was a very close second.
Chevy was an abysmal and distant 3rd.
Toyota was not considered because they don’t have ¾-1Ton trucks or vans diesel or gas, for service work.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In the half ton used market most of the trucks are fairly close imo. Most trucks have good and bad years. Buying a specific model because it says something on the grill regardless of anything else has always confused me about some. There are some that will buy a known failure and say it’ll be ok just to stay with thier brand. Toyota is really the exception.
I’m not so much brand loyal as much as I am engine specific and it comes in one brand but there are even certain models I’d run from in that brand.
Ok so why I say this, obviously 1/2 ton doesn’t need the big diesel so in my opinion it opens up more options. But thier are 5 options. As much as I love Nissan, the Titan over the years has been questionable, I don’t consider that a contender. Ford Chev Dodge and of course Toyota have all had some years I’d buy over the others. Doesn’t matter what I’d personally pick overall for the “American” 1/2 tons but I’d say do research and learn to read through the stupid s*** before you buy any brand from various years. Big model year changes are generally good to stay clear of and especially with emissions reg diesels. Sometimes it’s smart to let others deal with the recalls. The other thing is if you’ve only got so much cash that changes yet another thing, say Toyota is more dependable but you can buy a slightly newer truck with drastically lower mileage for the same money...that puts things back on par. Certain years of a certain truck are a lot cheaper because of the issues it has, well that’s not a good deal then. I know what I would choose but it’s not necessary cut and dry.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I’m looking at a 3.5EB F-150 or Fords new 7.3 Gas, What I will be towing will be around 8-11k, which I think a F-250 GAS would pull better than a F-150 even though the 150 is plenty enough truck with the tow rating to pull it. The Eco(or)Boost is a heck of a motor, the truck is nice if you get the niceties, if you get the XL don’t expect a nice interior.

You need a 3/4ton

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just how “often” would you borrow the tractor?

I’d trade vehicles for the weekend if it’s only once or twice a summer.

But that’s me.
That's what I do now and it's no big deal. My niece has shown an interest in riding the last few times we have gone out so I've had to pull a few more ATV's as well as the P1k. My smaller trailer will only hold the P1k and 1 ATV sideways, so I end up making a few trips because my Dad's heavy duty trailer along with the P1K and 3 ATV's pulls like s*** behind my Tacoma. If he's home I just steal his truck but it's not always ideal.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I rarely comment on MPG. Good to see someone actually post real world numbers. Your numbers are almost exactly what we get with our dually cummins. Though I have seen it go below 8 mpg towing a 40' high cube shipping container. Those things are too big for a little truck!
2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 217,042 miles/ 2 recalls no problems. 13-15mpg highway, 9-11 towing up to 12,000lbs in my case.
I have a 2015 f250 diesel. I get pretty similar mileage. It doesnt seem to matter if I'm pulling my 10ft trailer and sxs or my 43ft 5th wheel toy hauler the towing mileage is right around 10-12.

I always say If I was worried about what I spend on fuel I wouldn't be buying big trucks and hauling s*** around to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was actually thinking about getting a new fairy godmother.

Reactions: TimG and ohanacreek
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!