Thinking about getting a new truck...

J

JTW

Seriously, I’m not a brand guy. But the eb 3.5 is a great pulling option for the 1/2 ton trucks. I’m buying new and trading before 100k so I can speak to longevity. But I’m extremely pleased with my experience so far. On my 15 I got 32k out of it after 4 years and 100k miles. I’m basically at $5k per year. Mine is a work truck so I can justify it. But honestly, it’s the ideal happy median between average 1/2 ton and a 3/4

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need a 3/4ton

You’re right a F-250 will fare better over time and pull 11k better, being gas it has a better payload as well. I don’t need a F-250, towed weight will be under F-150 ratings and it wouldn’t be an every drive 11k pull. Majority will be no more than 7-8k, more likely about 6k, and I know someone who does that a LOT with a 3.5EB. However this won’t be a daily driver, and I am hoping Ford’s new 7.3 gasser will be a lot like the old 460 but more powerful. For comparison the 3.5EB has as much HP/TQ as the old 460 did mildly modded and I have a 72’ F-100 with a built 460 that’s close to 600/600. So hopefully the 7.3 with low end torque and HP, paired with the HD version of the 10speed shouldn’t search for a gear to find power like the 6.2 or 6.8V10 have to do.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seriously, I’m not a brand guy. But the eb 3.5 is a great pulling option for the 1/2 ton trucks. I’m buying new and trading before 100k so I can speak to longevity. But I’m extremely pleased with my experience so far. On my 15 I got 32k out of it after 4 years and 100k miles. I’m basically at $5k per year. Mine is a work truck so I can justify it. But honestly, it’s the ideal happy median between average 1/2 ton and a 3/4

I’m right there with you, I could care less about brand as long as it’s not Chevy. Chevys anemic 5.3 is worthless, I have a 3.5 EB that I’m towing with right now and 4000lbs plus an explorer full of gear makes no difference in how HARD the motor pulls up a 7% grade. I can pass anyone I want. Where as the 5.3 which was supposed to have about the same amount of power fell on its face with the same load on the same hill and I’d max out at maybe 60. I’ve driven several 18’ newer F-150 with the 3.5 and I’ve been nothing but impressed with power delivery. HOWEVER since my purchase will NOT be a daily and more of a tow rig, I’m leaning toward the F-250 with the 7.3NA.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have a 2015 f250 diesel. I get pretty similar mileage. It doesnt seem to matter if I'm pulling my 10ft trailer and sxs or my 43ft 5th wheel toy hauler the towing mileage is right around 10-12.

I always say If I was worried about what I spend on fuel I wouldn't be buying big trucks and hauling s*** around to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar experience with my ‘16 F350 psd.

Reactions: TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I’m right there with you, I could care less about brand as long as it’s not Chevy. Chevys anemic 5.3 is worthless, I have a 3.5 EB that I’m towing with right now and 4000lbs plus an explorer full of gear makes no difference in how HARD the motor pulls up a 7% grade. I can pass anyone I want. Where as the 5.3 which was supposed to have about the same amount of power fell on its face with the same load on the same hill and I’d max out at maybe 60. I’ve driven several 18’ newer F-150 with the 3.5 and I’ve been nothing but impressed with power delivery. HOWEVER since my purchase will NOT be a daily and more of a tow rig, I’m leaning toward the F-250 with the 7.3NA.

LOL !!!! You crack me up ! :D

Reactions: CumminsPusher
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the chevies are like honda quads and pioneers, there is a reason they have the power they have, so they can go 2-300k ive done a million times with no engine issues. i havent had to replace a trans or diffs either on any of those, alot of people have those issues because they accelerate to fast with a trailer like they are driving a car all the time and none of the trucks or transmissions are going to take that beating forever.

the lease vehicles only ever go 100k max before they trade them on any program, most way sooner. thats the only mileage the fords are cheaper to. the only way you will benifit owning a ford or dodge is all the people that trade it before 100 like i said they all make it there fine but dodge are all made to be dealer service only and take three times the average chevy time for the same service, and ford after 100k are broke three times as much. so it depends on what you want something you are going to drive a ton you save a ton over the long run like honda

Reactions: TimG
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's really not that apparent,;) LOL !
Haha... I don’t blow smoke....my Chevy did though.

I regret it most because I usually do way too much research and I bought this one on low price and looks alone because my previous vehicle was flooded by rain.

Reactions: TimG and JTW
advertisement
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Haha... I don’t blow smoke....my Chevy did though.

I regret it most because I usually do way too much research and I bought this one on low price and looks alone because my previous vehicle was flooded by rain.
Want to buy a 07 Chevy with 200 plus on the odometer? Make ya a good deal!;)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Chevy EARNED my hatred.

Yeah me too. Had three in the family and hated them. Had several in the work fleet too. One had its third trans before 100k and one had a total engine failure at around 110k due to a “block defect” said the shop. I’m not a fan of the higher rpm power for pulling either. They are always revving to do anything. The cheapness overall was disappointing as well, things like the bulbs always blowing, rear view mirror fell off, one day the tail light was hanging by the wires. Have no idea where the screws went. Oh, one day I shut the door and the door panel come off. I was so tired of drivetrain issues, other issues in and around plus a drive train in a half ton that lacked good low end pulling power. I had to leave GM.

I know personal experiences are just that, personal. So that’s why I don’t bash other brands too much but we all have our differences in personal experience, needs, style, etc and that pushes us to one or the other. I personally don’t care that much on which brand truck I drive as long as it’s not A GM product. It is quite annoying when the brand loyalty crap starts and some people really get butt hurt. The only loyalty thing I get is the Cummins guys, the 12v and 24v is truly a reliable engine WITH good pulling power in the real low rpm. I love my eco-boost engines and there’s a lot of people that make fun of them but it doesn’t bother me one bit but some guys have a come apart if one thing is said about the beloved HEMI that Jesus invented and drives. Or the 5.3 Chevy or 5.0 ford. Whatever you like, its for your own reasons and you shouldn’t be trying to convince the world to think the same way as you do.

Good thing there is voice to text on these new phones because there’s no way I would have tried to type all of that.

Adam, hopefully you find a good truck. If you take it slow and drive many different vehicles I’m sure you will find a good one.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Longevity? 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd is about to break the record of my longest owned vehicle. 1984 Four Runner sold after 19 years. Anyone owned something longer, and is can still be a daily driver?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Longevity? 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd is about to break the record of my longest owned vehicle. 1984 Four Runner sold after 19 years. Anyone owned something longer, and is can still be a daily driver?
My dad had a 1987 Toyota 4WD pickup with the 22RE that he gave to me with 300k on the odo when I left for college. I drove it to almost 400k before I purchased a 1st gen Tacoma. People used to try and buy that thing off me at the gas station when I was filling up, lol. I think he finally sold it to some Mexicans when he moved a few years ago, but it still ran.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Posted before but I just can’t help myself!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My dad had a 1987 Toyota 4WD pickup with the 22RE that he gave to me with 300k on the odo when I left for college. I drove it to almost 400k before I purchased a 1st gen Tacoma. People used to try and buy that thing off me at the gas station when I was filling up, lol. I think he finally sold it to some Mexicans when he moved a few years ago, but it still ran.
Solid axle Toy with 22re and manual is one of the most sought after trucks here period! All the guys I know that live in the woods or hunt either have one or are looking for one. They always come home

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!