Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
One of these with a 12 valve swap...

Cummins

J

JTW

I saw that. I guess I'm just so used to the lack of tech on the Toyota's and never having to worry about it failing. Getting in that Platinum after getting out of my Tacoma was like stepping out of a go-kart into the space shuttle.
Yeah.. just buy new and trade before 100k. I got 32k out of my 15 lariat with 90k miles when I bought my new one. A plan on the new one and you’re getting it as cheap as you will.

Reactions: sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
rain sensing wipers available on gm too, freaky to get used to but set it and forget like the lights and hvac, everything really. 4wd is a button too. rain is one of the nicest things they have come with in a while, could care less about everything else

Reactions: JTW
T

TheHammerhead

Dec 1, 2018
Peoria
Ownership

1. Talon R
rain sensing wipers available on gm too, freaky to get used to but set it and forget like the lights and hvac, everything really. 4wd is a button too. rain is one of the nicest things they have come with in a while, could care less about everything else
Been pulling for over 35 yrs most heavy, horses, Rv’s etc. Had 3/4 ton gassers back in 80’s then switched to Diesels ever since. Always GMC. I drive a late model Ford F-150 for work. Started out with 2018 w/ 2.7 EB. Good empty truck but with 5 adults or pulling 16ft trailer w/P1k it was a wayward slowpoke. Company upgraded me to a 19 w/3.5 EB and tow package. Much more suitable. Real good to 5000lbs towing. I still like my GMC 3500, tows like a dream and I wouldn’t trade it for new. Oh ya and it’s 13 yrs old w/ over 250 K. My point is it’s not just about HP, you need some truck in front of a trailer. Heavier trailer= bigger truck. To many people try pulling at upper limits of truck, not smart.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
its not worth living with the terrible unloaded suspension and diesel cost for every maintenance if you tow heavy a couple times a year, something like a camper or tractor up to like 8k is fine towing with a half ton, you only do it a few times a year. over that is too much if you have hills and crap, but ive been there, too much truck is not good either. if you are using it for a work truck everyday and load it all the time thats a good purpose for the heavier trucks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had rain sensitive wipers on my 86 Chrysler Conquest (Mitsubishi) Not really a new thing lol. Had a few.
It was fully automated including stereo that would add or subtract volume depending on situation. It had voice warnings for fuel level as well as everything else, couldn’t stand that s*** but liked those cars.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
pretty interesting some of the stuff they have had, they came out with a bunch of stuff in the 80s, my first chevy truck with the auto a/c with numbers and auto headlights, my firebird i still have is an 87, it had a ton of cool stuff electric headlights, trunck, had bandpass sub boxes in the back, gain control and amp under the dash all from gm. the wife had a 98 bonneville and her later lucerne have the wipers and HUD, those are pretty cool

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Toyota, Nissan are great if you want a truck to do a cars job. Start driving it like a truck goes downhill fast. Never had a Ford, brother has a '13 eco boost, has had several problems, yes it has power, but the rest if the truck doesnt keep up, in his words. My other brother from the same mother has a 2014 GMC 1/2 ton with the 6.2 gas, loves it. Plenty of power, 20 hwy, 16 city, 10-12 pulling his 7000 lbs camper, and boat behind the camper. I've had Duramax for last 2 trucks, pull pretty much anything you can ask of a 3/4 ton, dont believe all the bull about constant troubles, just not true. Every brand has it lemons. The Dodges I would say lead in style, the Cummins is tough to beat. Look at the GMC, yes most would say its just a Chevy, but most are wrong they have their differences. Like others said try them all. I'm a Chevy/GMC guy, would never consider a Ford, Toyota or Nissan, but would take a second look at the Ram.

T

TheHammerhead

Dec 1, 2018
Peoria
Ownership

1. Talon R
Toyota, Nissan are great if you want a truck to do a cars job. Start driving it like a truck goes downhill fast. Never had a Ford, brother has a '13 eco boost, has had several problems, yes it has power, but the rest if the truck doesnt keep up, in his words. My other brother from the same mother has a 2014 GMC 1/2 ton with the 6.2 gas, loves it. Plenty of power, 20 hwy, 16 city, 10-12 pulling his 7000 lbs camper, and boat behind the camper. I've had Duramax for last 2 trucks, pull pretty much anything you can ask of a 3/4 ton, dont believe all the bull about constant troubles, just not true. Every brand has it lemons. The Dodges I would say lead in style, the Cummins is tough to beat. Look at the GMC, yes most would say its just a Chevy, but most are wrong they have their differences. Like others said try them all. I'm a Chevy/GMC guy, would never consider a Ford, Toyota or Nissan, but would take a second look at the Ram.
Not into brand wars, Ram has a nice looking truck, great diesel but they can’t keep a transmission behind it. I’m GMC all the way, had 5-6 duramax’s when I owned a company and never any major engine work, but Allison transmission is a feat of engineering. With over 1.4 million cumulative miles on 6 trucks including one with over 500k and two over 300k I’ve never done anything but service the transmission and worst engine work has been replace 1 water pump at 240k. That truck regular tows in +100 in Arizona. Yes they’re expensive but work well and hold their value.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Blah blah blah... it’s like arguing over who's penis is shortest. They’re all overpriced garbage.
Mine's not very big around but it sure is short but on a positive note my Power Stroke has 925 ft lbs. torque and 440 HP.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2016 F150 regular cab 2.7 Ecoboost. Standard 17 inch tires 10 plys and 57,000 miles on mine as of this morning. I drove Tacomas for nearly 20 years and never had any problems but for towing even a light trailer they stink. No power on the hills and gas mileage went from 19-20 unloaded to 15-16 with a single axle trailer and a Rancher 420.
The F150 gets 23-24 unloaded on the interstate. With the P500 on a single axle trailer I get 19 on the interstate 17-18 in the Ozark mountains with plenty of power for towing that load. I drove it unloaded to Colorado a couple years ago and it went over Wolf Creek Pass with ease where my Tacoma really worked hard to get over the same pass.
As far as the aluminum body goes I like it. I haul 6-7 cords of hardwood firewood each winter filling up my woodshed. If it dents or dings any easier than a thin steel bed I sure cannot tell it.
How durable the turbo eco boost will be I do not know as I never keep one over 90-100,000 miles and won't this one either. I like driving this truck more than any truck I have ever owned or driven for work. I will buy another F150 when this one goes up for trade but the next one will have the extended cab so the dog can ride too.

Reactions: Adam490 and JTW
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have a 2016 F150 regular cab 2.7 Ecoboost. Standard 17 inch tires 10 plys and 57,000 miles on mine as of this morning. I drove Tacomas for nearly 20 years and never had any problems but for towing even a light trailer they stink. No power on the hills and gas mileage went from 19-20 unloaded to 15-16 with a single axle trailer and a Rancher 420.
The F150 gets 23-24 unloaded on the interstate. With the P500 on a single axle trailer I get 19 on the interstate 17-18 in the Ozark mountains with plenty of power for towing that load. I drove it unloaded to Colorado a couple years ago and it went over Wolf Creek Pass with ease where my Tacoma really worked hard to get over the same pass.
As far as the aluminum body goes I like it. I haul 6-7 cords of hardwood firewood each winter filling up my woodshed. If it dents or dings any easier than a thin steel bed I sure cannot tell it.
How durable the turbo eco boost will be I do not know as I never keep one over 90-100,000 miles and won't this one either. I like driving this truck more than any truck I have ever owned or driven for work. I will buy another F150 when this one goes up for trade but the next one will have the extended cab so the dog can ride too.
I wish I saw 15-16 mpg towing with my Tacoma. I think I averaged about 9 mpg the last time I toted the P1K and ATV, but that was through some country roads and city driving. It doesn't get much better than that on the interstate, maybe 11-12 with a load behind it. I'm leaning toward the Tundra still just because I'll be keeping it for a while and I'm familiar with it. Going to check this one out tomorrow if they still have it, asking $27k/58k miles:

Upload 2019 9 4 15 13 14

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I also can't tell if it has sweet barbwire pin-striping or if it's a crappy picture... I'm thinking crappy picture.

Reactions: Mudwing
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wish I saw 15-16 mpg towing with my Tacoma. I think I averaged about 9 mpg the last time I toted the P1K and ATV, but that was through some country roads and city driving. It doesn't get much better than that on the interstate, maybe 11-12 with a load behind it. I'm leaning toward the Tundra still just because I'll be keeping it for a while and I'm familiar with it. Going to check this one out tomorrow if they still have it, asking $27k/58k miles:

View attachment 153283
I’ve personally never seen a Tundra come in the shop with any weird problems or issues, just wrecked. I honestly cannot come close to saying that about any other truck brand.

Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really like the Tundras and the longevity and resale you get with one. My problem is that I'm a nerd when it comes to technology and cool features on the dash and Toyota has been behind on that for a long time.

Reactions: JTW
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Do a search on Tundras. They are rock steady reliable but gas mileage is terrible. When I was shopping three years ago I looked hard at the Tundra. Real world reports of single digit gas mileage with light loading were common. Maybe that does not matter to you but it does me. Yes resale is great but new price is high too. I hate saying this because I really like Toyotas. If they would update their engine lineup and get better mileage then they would have a real winner justifying the higher price IMO. Until such time as that I will probably stay with the F150. It does not hurt that our local Ford dealer is down to earth and has a top notch service dept. I can get an oil change for a lot less that any quick lube place and they really look over the truck and tell me about everything. I have never needed anything but oil changes so I am pleased so far.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'd love to, but the MPG is total s***. If I only needed it to tow stuff around I wouldn't be too worried, but I need to use it to commute back and forth to work as well.
I'll admit, I didn't make it past the first couple pages so if any of this has been covered......well, sorry
I've got a 2017 Tundra CM TRD w 5.7L, drive 30K-40K a year, more than most probably, my avg is 17-18mpg, more in the summer, less in the winter

You keep worrying about MPG so lets look at this example, 30K yr at 17mpg = 1765 gallons, 30K yr at 20mpg = 1500 gallons, around here gas is approx $2.60 gal average so that extra 265 gallons of gas costs me $689/yr($57/month). I'll get more than that in less maintenance throughout it's life and higher resale when I sell/trade.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I guess that is why there are different models. Everyone operates inside their own comfort zone. At this time in life the additional cost at purchase and lower gas mileage makes the Tundra less attractive to me. Heck I am 66 about one more new truck will probably do me. Resale at this point does not mean that much.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!