HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
200k on a truck lifespan? I guess I’ve been driving zombies lol. Every one I’ve owned has had 3-400k except my current one at 250. No major problems with any of them.
Same here. Every vehicle I've ever owned has been well into the high 200k-mid 300k mile range when it was sold.

@JTW, We bought my wife's Forester XT new a year ago because the price of the used models was only a few thousand less. Couldn't beat the 0% APR deal and they came to within a few hundred of what I initially offered. I've definitely thought about it but talk myself out of it every time I see that $50k+ sticker. I've pretty much talked myself out of even getting a different truck at this point after driving a few. I do know that I'm set on the Tundra, but I want a 3rd gen and just haven't come across the right one yet.

J

JTW

200k on a truck lifespan? I guess I’ve been driving zombies lol. Every one I’ve owned has had 3-400k except my current one at 250. No major problems with any of them.
A gas motor and not a body man... there’s a reason a vehicle with 200k ain’t worth s***. And would you put your wife or kid in one of those 300-400k vehicles and send them on a cross country trip alone? I get what you’re saying but it all depends on the use. Is he never going outside of a 100 mile radius or is he pulling across country. My definition of lifespan is based on cross country dependability and not driving just around home. It’s all so user specific.

J

JTW

Same here. Every vehicle I've ever owned has been well into the high 200k-mid 300k mile range when it was sold.

@JTW, We bought my wife's Forester XT new a year ago because the price of the used models was only a few thousand less. Couldn't beat the 0% APR deal and they came to within a few hundred of what I initially offered. I've definitely thought about it but talk myself out of it every time I see that $50k+ sticker. I've pretty much talked myself out of even getting a different truck at this point after driving a few. I do know that I'm set on the Tundra, but I want a 3rd gen and just haven't come across the right one yet.
Oh I get it.. it’s a b**** to swallow. And my truck is my office basically so I justify it to myself. Sure, there are cheaper ways to go but it just depends on what you’re going to do with it. Are you pulling 2000 miles in a trip or 20 around home.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A gas motor and not a body man... there’s a reason a vehicle with 200k ain’t worth s***. And would you put your wife or kid in one of those 300-400k vehicles and send them on a cross country trip alone? I get what you’re saying but it all depends on the use. Is he never going outside of a 100 mile radius or is he pulling across country. My definition of lifespan is based on cross country dependability and not driving just around home. It’s all so user specific.
Truthfully a high mileage rig that’s been gone through can be a very dependable rig again. Most people don’t send thier wife or kid across the country in the truck anyways. I don’t like the idea of sending my ol lady across country in anything regardless of mileage, I’d want to go along. With that being said there are plenty of 200k + vehicles that can make that trip without worries. Especially Toyota! I just don’t buy into the thinking most have that you need to sell the rig at the 100k mark. Going from one payment and adding that to the next payment before it’s paid off is strange to me. I guess that’s why if buying new half ton I’d probably buy Toyota so I could own a paid off truck for a bit that would still be worth something down the road. I know I’m definitely different then most in my thoughts though

Reactions: JsheII3 and Adam490
J

JTW

Truthfully a high mileage rig that’s been gone through can be a very dependable rig again. Most people don’t send thier wife or kid across the country in the truck anyways. I don’t like the idea of sending my ol lady across country in anything regardless of mileage, I’d want to go along. With that being said there are plenty of 200k + vehicles that can make that trip without worries. Especially Toyota! I just don’t buy into the thinking most have that you need to sell the rig at the 100k mark. Going from one payment and adding that to the next payment before it’s paid off is strange to me. I guess that’s why if buying new half ton I’d probably buy Toyota so I could own a paid off truck for a bit that would still be worth something down the road. I know I’m definitely different then most in my thoughts though
I don’t disagree on payments.. I’m not suggesting that at all! I’m not a payment guy.. I’ve never had a job where that was an option because I never know when I’m going to get paid. But.... It boils down to out of pocket money per year and how many miles you put on one and your purpose for your rig. Breaking down 20 miles from home is waaaay yonder different than 200 or imagine 2000!! It’s exactly why you rented a truck to come to Takeover.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don’t disagree on payments.. I’m not suggesting that at all! I’m not a payment guy.. I’ve never had a job where that was an option because I never know when I’m going to get paid. But.... It boils down to out of pocket money per year and how many miles you put on one and your purpose for your rig. Breaking down 20 miles from home is waaaay yonder different than 200 or imagine 2000!! It’s exactly why you rented a truck to come to Takeover.
I understand what you’re saying but most people do payments. The truck isn’t usually paid off by 100 or even 150k for many, so they can be upside down real quickly.
I rented because I needed new tires/wheels and was running out of cash fast for the trip. And to be honest that rental wasn’t much over 700$ to put over 5k and 9days on someone else’s truck. Probably about the same as it depreciated. Not bad. Especially considering that’s a monthly truck payment for many.

J

JTW

I understand what you’re saying but most people do payments. The truck isn’t usually paid off by 100 or even 150k for many.
I rented because I needed new tires/wheels. And to be honest that rental wasn’t much over 700$ to put over 5k and 9days on someone else’s truck. Not bad. Especially considering that’s a monthly truck payment for many.
Yeah, you made the right call on the rental. But wheels and tires and all the other bs that comes with a high milage vehicle on a cross country excursion is my point. There’s just MORE routine maintenance for a high milage vehicle. Water pumps, seals, bearings, WINDOW MOTORS, blah blah blah... it doesn’t take much and you’re spending 1000+ dollars a year just to keep them running. Then you have the rot and other bulls*** that starts to show up. And God forbid you lose a tranny or motor. Every vehicle I’ve owned starts to show those little maintenance issues around 80-120k.. you get them sorted out and then can expect progressively bigger and more frequent writhing ever 50k after.. I don’t care if it’s a dodge, ford, Chevy or whatever. But $100-$200 fixes here and there add up. It’s all about cost per year to drive one. And if a used truck with 100k is 30k and a new one is 50k.. and you put 100k on them in 4 years. If you’re not working on the new truck that cost you 20k out of pocket when you sell it for 30.. but you’re having to do those fixes now on the used truck that cost you 30 initially and maybe you get 10k out of when you sell it.. the reality is the used truck has taken more money out of your pocket per year even though that initial cost was 20k less.. your cost per year of ownership is higher than the new vehicle. Sure you can buy cheaper trucks.. but if you’re comparing apples to apples. A $50k new truck and a 30k used truck with 100k miles are pretty much apples to apples when you are comparing yearly cost of ownership.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Oh I get it.. it’s a b**** to swallow. And my truck is my office basically so I justify it to myself. Sure, there are cheaper ways to go but it just depends on what you’re going to do with it. Are you pulling 2000 miles in a trip or 20 around home.
I hear ya. I try to get out and ride somewhere once a month or so and that involves making a trek because there's nothing in LA other than mud. There are some fun trails in northern LA but they are all 50" restricted, so I'd be doing ~1k round trip to hit anywhere nearby in TX/AR/AL. Getting easier to go on longer trips with the little one now, which is another reason for a full size; kid and wife have way too much s***! Around town I have no issue pulling whatever I need with the Tacoma; it's when we want to venture out and take a couple SxS or borrow the tractor and go anywhere other than the few miles to/from my parents house that I find myself wanting the bigger truck.

As far as trusting my wife/kid alone in a 200k+ mile vehicle on a road trip, if it was a Toyota I would without a doubt. They also wouldn't be pulling anything so that makes it easier to make a decision like that. My wife can barely back out of the driveway without destroying s***, so I don't ever have to worry about her towing anything.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just traded my 2011 F150 5.0 this weekend for a 2017 F150 2.7. Looked at all the brands as i have no "loyalty" and in the end I like the room, interior, and exterior of the F150 best. I also had my doubts on the 2.7, but holy crap I love it more than my 5.0 (minus the sound)

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yeah, you made the right call on the rental. But wheels and tires and all the other bs that comes with a high milage vehicle on a cross country excursion is my point. There’s just MORE routine maintenance for a high milage vehicle. Water pumps, seals, bearings, WINDOW MOTORS, blah blah blah... it doesn’t take much and you’re spending 1000+ dollars a year just to keep them running. Then you have the rot and other bulls*** that starts to show up. And God forbid you lose a tranny or motor. Every vehicle I’ve owned starts to show those little maintenance issues around 80-120k.. you get them sorted out and then can expect progressively bigger and more frequent writhing ever 50k after.. I don’t care if it’s a dodge, ford, Chevy or whatever. But $100-$200 fixes here and there add up. It’s all about cost per year to drive one. And if a used truck with 100k is 30k and a new one is 50k.. and you put 100k on them in 4 years. If you’re not working on the new truck that cost you 20k out of pocket when you sell it for 30.. but you’re having to do those fixes now on the used truck that cost you 30 initially and maybe you get 10k out of when you sell it.. the reality is the used truck has taken more money out of your pocket per year even though that initial cost was 20k less.. your cost per year of ownership is higher than the new vehicle. Sure you can buy cheaper trucks.. but if you’re comparing apples to apples. A $50k new truck and a 30k used truck with 100k miles are pretty much apples to apples when you are comparing yearly cost of ownership.
A lot of it comes down to what you're willing to live with when it comes to wear and tear as well as what you're willing/able to fix yourself on a used car/truck.

My wife had a little Saturn 4 door in college that had about 70k on it. She called and said her car wouldn't start one day and that "it had peanut butter in the overflow jug"... Cracked head, and what's really s***ty is they recalled the Pontiac Sunfire that used the same engine for that issue. Anyway, we pulled it and replaced it ourselves in a weekend for about $500 where it was a few grand if we let someone else fix it. Moral of the story is if you're willing to fix them yourself and can live with the cosmetic issues the cost of ownership tends to be less over time even with more significant repairs. That's only true if you have the means to perform the repairs yourself though, which isn't feasible for most people looking at used cars/trucks.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just traded my 2011 F150 5.0 this weekend for a 2017 F150 2.7. Looked at all the brands as i have no "loyalty" and in the end I like the room, interior, and exterior of the F150 best. I also had my doubts on the 2.7, but holy crap I love it more than my 5.0 (minus the sound)
Nice, congrats on the new ride! How many miles did you have on the '11?

Reactions: Dragon21
J

JTW

You didn’t get the 3.5?? What swayed you to the 2.7?

J

JTW

A lot of it comes down to what you're willing to live with when it comes to wear and tear as well as what you're willing/able to fix yourself on a used car/truck.

My wife had a little Saturn 4 door in college that had about 70k on it. She called and said her car wouldn't start one day and that "it had peanut butter in the overflow jug"... Cracked head, and what's really s***ty is they recalled the Pontiac Sunfire that used the same engine for that issue. Anyway, we pulled it and replaced it ourselves in a weekend for about $500 where it was a few grand if we let someone else fix it. Moral of the story is if you're willing to fix them yourself and can live with the cosmetic issues the cost of ownership tends to be less over time even with more significant repairs. That's only true if you have the means to perform the repairs yourself though, which isn't feasible for most people looking at used cars/trucks.
Yes.. I just get tired of f***ing working on s*** all the time. I don’t want to have to wrench on things when I need them. And it never fails that it’s going to break when you need it most.

J

JTW

I hear ya. I try to get out and ride somewhere once a month or so and that involves making a trek because there's nothing in LA other than mud. There are some fun trails in northern LA but they are all 50" restricted, so I'd be doing ~1k round trip to hit anywhere nearby in TX/AR/AL. Getting easier to go on longer trips with the little one now, which is another reason for a full size; kid and wife have way too much s***! Around town I have no issue pulling whatever I need with the Tacoma; it's when we want to venture out and take a couple SxS or borrow the tractor and go anywhere other than the few miles to/from my parents house that I find myself wanting the bigger truck.

As far as trusting my wife/kid alone in a 200k+ mile vehicle on a road trip, if it was a Toyota I would without a doubt. They also wouldn't be pulling anything so that makes it easier to make a decision like that. My wife can barely back out of the driveway without destroying s***, so I don't ever have to worry about her towing anything.
Yeah, well it’s all a balance and depends on what you want to spend. I’m a cheap bastard myself. If I can buy a used vehicle that’s good and what I want for less money overall I will. I’ve just found that since cash for clunkers and all the bailouts that buying what I want is cheaper in a new vehicle overall. Now, if I was less particularly about my use... then my options would be better for finding a “deal”.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I swap trucks at 100-130K max. For me, even more than the expense, is the time and frustration of breaking down. My free time is minimal, the last thing I want to do is deal with an issue when I'm supposed to be having fun. Not that a newer ride won't break.. but the odds are much better with a fresh machine.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You didn’t get the 3.5?? What swayed you to the 2.7?
I would have liked the 3.5, but most were out of my price range unless I gave up a lot of options. The 2.7 is supposedly designed to handle the boost like the 6.7 diesel.

I’m really happy with it. Feels much more responsive and powerful than my 5.0. Haven’t driven the 3.5 though.

Reactions: JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What did they give you on it?
Got 19k. Was a 2011 crew cab FX4 (no navigation). Needed tires and new tailgate, otherwise was good.

Reactions: JTW
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!