HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'll admit, I didn't make it past the first couple pages so if any of this has been covered......well, sorry
I've got a 2017 Tundra CM TRD w 5.7L, drive 30K-40K a year, more than most probably, my avg is 17-18mpg, more in the summer, less in the winter

You keep worrying about MPG so lets look at this example, 30K yr at 17mpg = 1765 gallons, 30K yr at 20mpg = 1500 gallons, around here gas is approx $2.60 gal average so that extra 265 gallons of gas costs me $689/yr($57/month). I'll get more than that in less maintenance throughout it's life and higher resale when I sell/trade.
Agreed. I did the math and the cost difference between the different makes when it comes to MPG is negligible. Have a few Tundra to check out tomorrow. Man I hate dealing with car salesman.... Say a prayer for me

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
What are you willing to spend per year for a truck?
As in overall cost of ownership per year? Since I'm buying used and not taking the hit on depreciation and paying cash, I'd say probably $5k-$6k range. I also intend to keep anything I get for a while so that factors in as well. I figure ~$2500/year in fuel cost, another $2000 for insurance (LA insurance rates are absurd), and give or take $1500 in maintenance/small repairs.

Reactions: JTW
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As in overall cost of ownership per year? Since I'm buying used and not taking the hit on depreciation and paying cash, I'd say probably $5k-$6k range. I also intend to keep anything I get for a while so that factors in as well. I figure ~$2500/year in fuel cost, another $2000 for insurance (LA insurance rates are absurd), and give or take $1500 in maintenance/small repairs.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new Silverado 3.0 duramax is going to bea game changer,coming out right now .But I don’t want to buy the first year. Did that w my pioneer , but it’s still a great machine!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The new Silverado 3.0 duramax is going to bea game changer,coming out right now .But I don’t want to buy the first year. Did that w my pioneer , but it’s still a great machine!

I agree with you, it looks good. I would also be afraid of the first year or two.

GM is at the bottom of my list but they have what appears to be the best 1/2 ton diesel.

Reactions: JTW and Tigermark
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
the 3.0 isnt going to be as much as what most think it will be. give it a couple yrs and some programmers then itll be a game changer. if chevy wouldnt of went through the fall in 2010. we would have the halfton with the 4.5 duramax in it. which would of been a real game changer. hoping they give the option for that motor later in the halfton.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i remember reading deisel power mag and they had prototypes of all three factory half tons 15+ years ago when i still got magazines. they never come out with the half tons for whatever reason, maybe they figure they wont sell. i would buy one i dont buy new always 4-5 years old and half price on all my vehicles, wouldnt be able to afford it the way gm prices things they always make you get the highest package for the cool engine availability

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if they actually came out with a stripped out diesel half ton work truck with 7-8k towing there would be a ton of people buying it, farmers fleets,etc...

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2016 1/2 ton silverado 5.3 4x4. 4 door short bed for a personal vehicle. I drive a company truck every day, Ford for the last 8 years. She works from home. The main duty of this truck is to pull my pioneer and quads on an 18" car trailer. Most of the miles on the truck are doing this in wv. This pic is on the way to rrb last Monday rolling across st rt 64 in wv. I like the truck it's been good to us. Break pads three set of tires, somehow the back ones wear three times as fast as the front lol. I'm a gm guy all day every day but will admit openly that these half tons are not the same as past generations of truck. Now days they are selling on comfort and options. I don't care what the sales brochure says my 16 silverado will never out work my 01 or 85 trucks.

20190830 174401

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i remember reading deisel power mag and they had prototypes of all three factory half tons 15+ years ago when i still got magazines. they never come out with the half tons for whatever reason, maybe they figure they wont sell. i would buy one i dont buy new always 4-5 years old and half price on all my vehicles, wouldnt be able to afford it the way gm prices things they always make you get the highest package for the cool engine availability
it was during the last epa emissions law and the government bailout. cause gm was going with the 4.5 durmax. i believe dodge was going to put the 4bt in theirs if im not mistaken and ford had i think a 4.2 or 4.6 powerstroke. cant remember the liters size on that one. all of them planned on putting them out as a HD model half ton. i really wish they would. cause all 3 would of benefited alot from those lineups

Reactions: jwfirebird
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
it was during the last epa emissions law and the government bailout. cause gm was going with the 4.5 durmax. i believe dodge was going to put the 4bt in theirs if im not mistaken and ford had i think a 4.2 or 4.6 powerstroke. cant remember the liters size on that one. all of them planned on putting them out as a HD model half ton. i really wish they would. cause all 3 would of benefited alot from those lineups

No the 4bt was never planned for light duty production and can’t deal with the bs emissions of today, that’s what killed the 6bt for vehicle production. The 5.0 Cummins that came in the Nissan was originally slated for the 1500 Dodge. But yes the bailout issues scrapped the program.
The 3.0 is an in-line 6 so at least it’s got that going for it. Kinda funny because in the advertising GM raves about all the advantages of inline yet the 3/4 up still runs v8 diesel. Makes me chuckle a bit.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
J

JTW

So, I finally just bit the bullet and bought a new f150 in 15 as I couldn’t find a decent deal on a used truck. I traded it this spring and bought another f150. I got 32k out of my 15 with 90+k miles. My point being... I was in a new truck and over 4 years it cost me $5k per year. With the price of used trucks it might be worth your time to figure what a new truck would cost you vs used. That initial hit is a little more. But by the time you consider 200k on a trucks life span. If you’re buying a used truck with 100k for $30k.. you might be better off looking at a new one.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
new chevy ext cab 4wd and gmc ext cab ltd 4x4 you always see 32k around here, certainly wouldnt pay near that for used toy that gets way less gas mileage, few year old ones are normally about 20, with quite a bit of warranty left

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
2016 1/2 ton silverado 5.3 4x4. 4 door short bed for a personal vehicle. I drive a company truck every day, Ford for the last 8 years. She works from home. The main duty of this truck is to pull my pioneer and quads on an 18" car trailer. Most of the miles on the truck are doing this in wv. This pic is on the way to rrb last Monday rolling across st rt 64 in wv. I like the truck it's been good to us. Break pads three set of tires, somehow the back ones wear three times as fast as the front lol. I'm a gm guy all day every day but will admit openly that these half tons are not the same as past generations of truck. Now days they are selling on comfort and options. I don't care what the sales brochure says my 16 silverado will never out work my 01 or 85 trucks.

View attachment 153538
would agree with this, the mileage is way better though. but the whole reason l was looking for pre 06 for the avalanche, i hate the chrome everywhere and they feel weak because of the torque management on the newer ones, i suppose you could get a tuner but i dont like doing that stuff towing at or over the rating quite a bit. the brakes ive never had a problem with , in fact all the rear disk halfs and 2500s ive had always wear exactly the same, to were i always just buy all four delco disks and ceramic pads about every 75k. we dont have a ton of hills like wv but there are quite a few when i go down south towards pa camping or taking the atv trailer to the mud park, they both have pretty good brakes on both axles

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
would agree with this, the mileage is way better though. but the whole reason l was looking for pre 06 for the avalanche, i hate the chrome everywhere and they feel weak because of the torque management on the newer ones, i suppose you could get a tuner but i dont like doing that stuff towing at or over the rating quite a bit. the brakes ive never had a problem with , in fact all the rear disk halfs and 2500s ive had always wear exactly the same, to were i always just buy all four delco disks and ceramic pads about every 75k. we dont have a ton of hills like wv but there are quite a few when i go down south towards pa camping or taking the atv trailer to the mud park, they both have pretty good brakes on both axles

if you were talking about the rear tires wear out too fast that normally has a ton more to do the weight of your right foot. you get what you pay for with tires but im sure it has nothing to do with the truck.
the wife always has this problem with the front tires wearing about twice as fast on her cars, its no real mystery if you think about it

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So, I finally just bit the bullet and bought a new f150 in 15 as I couldn’t find a decent deal on a used truck. I traded it this spring and bought another f150. I got 32k out of my 15 with 90+k miles. My point being... I was in a new truck and over 4 years it cost me $5k per year. With the price of used trucks it might be worth your time to figure what a new truck would cost you vs used. That initial hit is a little more. But by the time you consider 200k on a trucks life span. If you’re buying a used truck with 100k for $30k.. you might be better off looking at a new one.
200k on a truck lifespan? I guess I’ve been driving zombies lol. Every one I’ve owned has had 3-400k except my current one at 250. No major problems with any of them.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
if you were talking about the rear tires wear out too fast that normally has a ton more to do the weight of your right foot. you get what you pay for with tires but im sure it has nothing to do with the truck.
the wife always has this problem with the front tires wearing about twice as fast on her cars, its no real mystery if you think about it
Its definitely not a flaw of the truck. I drive like an a$$hole loaded or not. I did front breaks at about 45k and rear at 60k. As for tires I prefer the Goodyear duratrax. They wear well even with hard driving and burnouts. I love the truck but I call it my Prius. The suspension is soft it rides well but the other side of that nice ride means the truck is sloppy when loaded. It stops well has plenty of power but I would happily have given up some of the comfort for usability. The 2016 leaves me with a need for a heavier truck as you said pulling at the rated weight can get out of hand. I've made my peace with cooking down the interstate at 3-5k rpm to run 80mph and the truck doesn't seem to mind it so until I kill it I can't complain. I keep 3/4 ton and ton trucks for any heavy hauling. I will say I've come to hate my 01 GMC for the electronic issues its began to have and want to go back to something simple for my main tow rig.

R

RickM

Jan 19, 2017
Moved from Chelsea, AL, to Bigfork, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any Ford guys thoughts on this one?

2013 Ford F-150 FX4
Got one and love it. It has awesome power and will get 21 mpg if you drive 55. In the real world though, driving highway speeds, 70-80, on a 4,000 mile round trip it got 18.5. It will tow whatever you put back there but once the twin turbos go to work your gas mileage will suffer accordingly. Probably has more torque at low RPM than a lot of diesels. I’ve pulled some pretty heavy loads but I take it slow and easy because it is only a half ton truck and I know the suspension and axles are probably the weak links. I do have the tow package. Rides great and very comfortable on long trips. 65,000 miles and nothing other than normal maintenance, tires, brakes, oil, etc.

Reactions: Adam490

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!