BOX1

This is what a broken drive shaft looks like..

J

JTW

So I finally got around to inspecting the Moab damage resulting from my attempt at the double whammy in the video @Hondasxs posted.
4E4952ED 57BF 470B 9393 DAD1F65D1196
8D620296 E379 4B5F B130 68050D0074E9
0B78DBEA B943 426C BC4D 1F82F50F3E6F

Kind of a pita.. everything spins ok. I had a b**** of a time trying to get it out with the axles still in. Ended up having to pull them and unbolt the diff. Then the shaft splines were stuck in the collar and I had to leave a magnet on it to pull it out.
EE0D67A5 5376 43CF 9CBE 37335F6657EC
But it’s better than it could have been

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Has one of these ever broken before? Do you think having the front diff locker contributed to the drive shaft failure? More stress on the drive train causing shearing of the output shaft gearing?

ETA: I haven’t seen the video, could you post a link to it here so it’s associated with the driveshaft failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I was never in diff lock.
Besides.. This was the shaft to the rear wheels.. it broke behind the splines right where it goes into the rear diff. First one I’ve heard of and it wasn’t in the shear point on the shaft either.. so that’s odd.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was never in diff lock.
Besides.. This was the shaft to the rear wheels.. it broke behind the splines right where it goes into the rear diff. First one I’ve heard of and it wasn’t in the shear point on the shaft either.. so that’s odd.
What size tire you running again?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First one I’ve heard of and it wasn’t in the shear point on the shaft either.. so that’s odd.

I dunno, shaft broke inside the rear diff flange so the end of the shaft wasent flopping around tearing stuff up.
You going to take it in to see if the extended warranty will cover it?:D

J

JTW

I dunno, shaft broke inside the rear diff flange so the end of the shaft wasent flopping around tearing stuff up.
You going to take it in to see if the extended warranty will cover it?:D
Exactly... had me nervous if it was shaft or pinion but all is well. The boot and flange kept it in place rather well actually.

Lmao.. $86 part. I think I’m coming out ahead. The last item I tried to warranty. (Sheared axle shaft from last overland) They completely ignored my warranty request and never did anything about it. And that was under the first year factory warranty.

J

JTW

Annnnnd we’re back in business..

3910468B 08C4 4203 82FE 86A1DF831259

It’s really not too bad.. go ahead and pull the wheels and both rear axles.. The diff has 3 bolts holding it. Pull them (clean them and grease). Pull off the gas strut that holds the bed up 12mm. And slide the diff back. The new shaft assembly is already put together and ready to go. Just feed the shaft back in and align the front spendles. Then move the diff back into place while feeding the splines into the pinion. Stick a bolt through the diff to hold it in place and then line up the rest of the holes. And make sure your shaft is feeding properly. At this point it would be easier if you have an extra set of hands to hold a ratchet with an extension and 14mm in the bolt heads while you tighten the nuts on the diff. There is a rear boot that goes over the collar around the diff. A pick will make it easier to feed the boot up over the collar and set it in place. There is an rubber band (o-ring) that holds the boot in a grove. Once you get it on and in the right spot you’re good to start putting the axles back in. I only had to pull the axle nut and upper a arm bolt by the hub. Once they’re back in, I put the bed strut back on. Then, just mount your wheels and tires and you’re done.
4B9D5CC4 B25F 45C7 BE9F 180D10630AED

Out with the old and in with the new..
DE9E7692 9AD4 443A 8BCF 4C7D9B55B3F1
15FF6C87 F88B 400B 8E17 805FCB540F39

17F9D851 95D9 48DF 9E4F 2D4A46084FAD

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did you happen to replace the pinion seal while you were in there?

Reactions: BWAF
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is there a good place between the trans and the rear pinion to maybe install an e- brake manual caliper? If there is a a good location, could you mic the OD of the drive shaft at that point?

J

JTW

Is there a good place between the trans and the rear pinion to maybe install an e- brake manual caliper? If there is a a good location, could you mic the OD of the drive shaft at that point?
I’ll look.. but how would you intend on attaching the caliper?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!