P500 Thoughts after first ride

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
It has been about a week and 1/2 since I did my first ride on the P500. I usually wait a bit until the excitement calms down and I can do an honest and fair review. So I will do my best. The reason I write these is so others can get honest info when doing their research prior to buying. But that assumes everyone is an crazy as me when purchasing something ;)

Terrain: Off road park in Northern Illinois. Some steep climbs, lots of narrow trail that required crawling through, deep frozen ruts to challenge the tip over factor, and plenty of normal trail obstacles like logs, rocks etc...
Temp: Mid to high 20's
Mods: 26x12x9 (f) 26x12x11 (r) Kenda Bearclaw HTR.
Year: 2016
Rider: 35 year old Male, 5ft 11 in, 196 lbs

The Good:
  1. Plenty of power in 1st gear, even with the heavier tires. Still started off in second on most everything and was able to cruise through tight trails in 3rd. Feels as if this machine was made to have a tire of this size/weight on it.
  2. Awesome climber. I have had a variety of atv's and sxs. The machines with belts will climb faster and allow for more wheels speed. But, the P500 allows you to crawl up technical climbs with ease. The only things that limited me on climbs was traction on loose stuff (still made it but a locker would be nice) and my own courage. In other words, it will do anything I am willing to try. If it can't, I have no business trying it anyway. (I must be getting old)
  3. Noise: I did not find the P500 to be noisy in any way.
  4. Durability: Although it was only a day of riding, this thing feels solid. I hit a rock hard enough to dent the lip on the driver side front wheel but no damage to any steering components or anything else. No obnoxious rattles or anything else like that.
  5. Fun: I bought this because I like technical trails. I gave up on speed a long time ago. If you want speed, you will need to look elsewhere. What makes this fun is the fact that it is so small and has paddle shifters. You can navigate technical trails well and it is nimble enough to get around a lot of the trails I never thought I would be able to travel down with a sxs. Although the top speed is low, it get's moving quickly which makes navigating tighter trails fun.
  6. Simple: I always put the simplicity of a Honda in the good category. This machine does not have the creature comforts that my P1000-5D had but I also don't have to worry about much going wrong.
The "Not so Good"
  1. Suspension: The suspension leaves quite a bit to be desired. Again, I'm not trying to carry speed through a lot of rough areas but it likes to bounce around quite a bit. I haven't had any issues with bottoming out although I'm sure it's coming.
  2. Wear your seat belt: I left my seat belt off for a few minutes. Hit a bump and hit my head on the top cross bar on the ROPS. I always wear a helmet so it didn't do any damage to me but still something to consider.
  3. Top Speed: I don't care that it's slow but others will. If you ride a lot of open trails with folks who go fast, you will be disappointed with the p500. It is not fast nor does it pretend to be.
  4. Tippy: I hesitated to put this in this section as it is something you would expect from such a small machine. I also went a little larger on tires without going with wheel spacers so I'm kind of asking for it. But, It should be noted that it has the tip factor of a standard "throw your leg over" atv but you don't have the same amount of body control. Large ruts made by jeeps/trucks/large sxs's can put you on your side. (I was close a couple of times)
The Bad:
  1. I waited 2 years to buy one :)

Comparison's to other current SxS's I have owned.

Yamaha Viking vs P500: I owned the Yamaha Viking the first year it came out. It was a solid machine with a similar top speed as the p500. The Viking was much louder than the 500 but had more room for people (three across) and obviously the bed in the back for your gear. In order to get the viking to have the feel I wanted, I needed to put 28 inch tires on it and then a clutch kit. The clutch kit was easy to install but I was always maintaining it to make sure it was clean, adjusted correctly, etc... The viking was also very wide. There are a lot of trails that I can go down with the 500 that I couldn't do with the Viking. With 26 inch tires on the p500 and 28 inch tires on the Viking, I feel that I have more capability with the p500. They are similar in comfort except the Viking had a lot more leg room for the drivers left leg. The p500 is cramped for the driver on the left side whereas the Viking had plenty of room. For climbing stuff, the Viking needed more wheel speed to get up some of the steeps. It handled it fine but I'm not a fan of how a belt driven machine feels. I'm not knocking it as Yamaha makes a great CVT; I just prefer the Honda system. Overall, these machines are similar in quality and ability. One is just much larger than the other. The p500 is more fun for me because I like tighter trails in the woods and don't need all the bed space of the viking. I think both of the machines have work in mind with trail riding as a secondary. After pulling my aluminum trailer, I would take the smaller p500 over the Viking (again, preference toward gears rather than belt)

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe vs Honda Pioneer 500.
There really is no way to compare these two as they are completely different machines. The 1000, in my opinion, is the biggest and best. It is reasonably quick, it shifts well, it's comfortable, its capable, its fun to accessorize, and it's another really solid machine. It is more comfortable to drive, to ride in, and it holds a lot of people and stuff. It's great for larger trails in the woods and a lot of the open type trails that I experienced in Northern Wisconsin. I was able to keep up with my friends on their sport machines (most of the time) and went through anything they went through and more. I loved the 1000-5 except for the price tag, the door rattles, and the fear of the clutch issues (Which have now been fixed)
For small trails, the p500 is the better choice. It can go pretty much anywhere.
For open trails or needing to cruise at 45+, the 1000 is your machine.
Hauling: The 1000 was awesome with the auto leveling shocks and had tons of power. BUT... I couldn't go too slow because of the DCT. The P500 is able to creep at really low speeds. When I did this on the 1000, I was worried I was going to cause damage to my clutches, especially when in reverse.
Reliability: To early to tell on the P500 for me. From what I read, it seems extremely reliable and closer to "Old Honda" than the 1000. But the 1000 never left me stranded. I had the clutch issue that was somewhat corrected with a reset at the dealer. The thing that drove me nuts on the 1000 was all the rattling. The doors, seats, bed all rattled from day one. I went through and was able to calm much of it down but the p500 did none of that. (It also has two less doors and 3 less seats.) The 1000 also had a heat issue when driving through water. I did not feel that yet on the p500 but time will tell.
For someone who likes simple, capable, and reliable, the p500 is a good choice. I know I can take my son out on it and have a blast all day long.
For someone who likes to have the best, the 1000 is hard to top. It may not have the navigation systems or suspension of the Polaris vehicles but it does have a lot of great features.
If comfort is your thing, the 1000 is leaps and bounds above the p500. I don't mind the utilitarian feel of the p500 but others might. For me, it's like the difference between a jeep wrangler from around 2005 compared to a jeep wrangler now.

With all of that said, I can honestly say I would recommend all three of the SxS's mentioned above. I had great experiences with all of them and each one has it's quirks.

Viking: Great machine if you want to take another person or two with some gear. Reasonably priced. It will get you there and get you home. If you want bigger tires, plan on a clutch kit or at least a slug kit for the wet clutch. And unless they have fixed the noise issue, you will want to invest in some sound cancelling materials.

Pioneer 1000: Great if you have extra $ to spend on something awesome. It's comfortable, reasonably quiet, and will haul your family around with ease. It's powerful and relatively efficient as well. I will say, for an 1800 lb machine, I would have assumed it would have come with tougher tires from the factory so this may be something you would consider adding at some point. Also, this was the only ATV/UTV that I ever felt I needed to give someone instructions to drive. "Don't go below 4 mph, keep it in low unless you plan on going over 20 mph, etc..."

Pioneer 500: Awesome if you like to ride standard ATV's but want to bring someone else along. It goes down the tight trails and is an easily driven and capable machine. You lose the comfort you have with the other two but that's not to say it's uncomfortable. I don't have back issues (yet) and am still youngish so maybe my opinion may change in the future. If you don't need to keep up with others and don't get your high from being able to slide through a corner, the p500 is great. Also a good machine if you are like me and like the simple nature of Honda machines that made them reliable and popular "back in the day." The one thing you may want to plan on adding to the cost is a decent set of tires. While the 4 ply tires should hold up okay, they look really tiny on the machine and made 1st gear almost entirely useless. Going with 26's made it feel more capable, gave it additional ground clearance, and I like the looks better.

I hope this information helps someone that's considering a new SxS. The good thing is, the market has a bunch of options to meet many different styles. The bad thing is, it is tough to make a decision. At the end of the day, ride what you like; you're the one paying for it.

All of the information above is my opinion. And I believe there is a saying that compares opinions to a part of the human anatomy but I'm not sure that belongs on the p500 review section. :D

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Great Write up....
To own & keep a P5
....is in your blood..
We got ours..to Desert
trail ride...to us....there's not
a better SxS...to accommodate
our rides...as well as the....
.....P5.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Damn! I looked at the length of this OP and wasn't going to read it but I'm glad I did.
An honest, well written review. Good sh** Ed! ;)
I stopped half way...blew clouds
...ate dinner...then finished
...reading
haha..die hard p5 Fan
props to Ed...

Last edited:
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks, all, for the feedback. I tend to get a little carried away when writing; especially when writing stuff like this. I guess I look at it as my way of giving back to the folks that wrote reviews and took the time to explain their experiences.
I look forward to adding more as I learn more.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It has been about a week and 1/2 since I did my first ride on the P500. I usually wait a bit until the excitement calms down and I can do an honest and fair review. So I will do my best. The reason I write these is so others can get honest info when doing their research prior to buying. But that assumes everyone is an crazy as me when purchasing something ;)

Terrain: Off road park in Northern Illinois. Some steep climbs, lots of narrow trail that required crawling through, deep frozen ruts to challenge the tip over factor, and plenty of normal trail obstacles like logs, rocks etc...

The Good:
  1. Plenty of power in 1st gear, even with the heavier tires. Still started off in second on most everything and was able to cruise through tight trails in 3rd. Feels as if this machine was made to have a tire of this size/weight on it.
  2. Awesome climber. I have had a variety of atv's and sxs. The machines with belts will climb faster and allow for more wheels speed. But, the P500 allows you to crawl up technical climbs with ease. The only things that limited me on climbs was traction on loose stuff (still made it but a locker would be nice) and my own courage. In other words, it will do anything I am willing to try. If it can't, I have no business trying it anyway. (I must be getting old)
  4. Durability: Although it was only a day of riding, this thing feels solid. I hit a rock hard enough to dent the lip on the driver side front wheel but no damage to any steering components or anything else. No obnoxious rattles or anything else like that.
  5. Fun: I bought this because I like technical trails. I gave up on speed a long time ago. If you want speed, you will need to look elsewhere. What makes this fun is the fact that it is so small and has paddle shifters. You can navigate technical trails well and it is nimble enough to get around a lot of the trails I never thought I would be able to travel down with a sxs. Although the top speed is low, it get's moving quickly which makes navigating tighter trails fun.
  6. Simple: I always put the simplicity of a Honda in the good category. This machine does not have the creature comforts that my P1000-5D had but I also don't have to worry about much going wrong.
The "Not so Good"
  1. Suspension: The suspension leaves quite a bit to be desired. Again, I'm not trying to carry speed through a lot of rough areas but it likes to bounce around quite a bit. I haven't had any issues with bottoming out although I'm sure it's coming.
  2. Wear your seat belt: I left my seat belt off for a few minutes. Hit a bump and hit my head on the top cross bar on the ROPS. I always wear a helmet so it didn't do any damage to me but still something to consider.
  3. Top Speed: I don't care that it's slow but others will. If you ride a lot of open trails with folks who go fast, you will be disappointed with the p500. It is not fast nor does it pretend to be.
  4. Tippy: I hesitated to put this in this section as it is something you would expect from such a small machine. I also went a little larger on tires without going with wheel spacers so I'm kind of asking for it. But, It should be noted that it has the tip factor of a standard "throw your leg over" atv but you don't have the same amount of body control. Large ruts made by jeeps/trucks/large sxs's can put you on your side. (I was close a couple of times)
The Bad:

Yamaha Viking vs P500: I owned the Yamaha Viking the first year it came out. It was a solid machine with a similar top speed as the p500. The Viking was much louder than the 500 but had more room for people (three across) and obviously the bed in the back for your gear. In order to get the viking to have the feel I wanted, I needed to put 28 inch tires on it and then a clutch kit. The clutch kit was easy to install but I was always maintaining it to make sure it was clean, adjusted correctly, etc... The viking was also very wide. There are a lot of trails that I can go down with the 500 that I couldn't do with the Viking. With 26 inch tires on the p500 and 28 inch tires on the Viking, I feel that I have more capability with the p500. They are similar in comfort except the Viking had a lot more leg room for the drivers left leg. The p500 is cramped for the driver on the left side whereas the Viking had plenty of room. For climbing stuff, the Viking needed more wheel speed to get up some of the steeps. It handled it fine but I'm not a fan of how a belt driven machine feels. I'm not knocking it as Yamaha makes a great CVT; I just prefer the Honda system. Overall, these machines are similar in quality and ability. One is just much larger than the other. The p500 is more fun for me because I like tighter trails in the woods and don't need all the bed space of the viking. I think both of the machines have work in mind with trail riding as a secondary. After pulling my aluminum trailer, I would take the smaller p500 over the Viking (again, preference toward gears rather than belt)

There really is no way to compare these two as they are completely different machines. The 1000, in my opinion, is the biggest and best. It is reasonably quick, it shifts well, it's comfortable, its capable, its fun to accessorize, and it's another really solid machine. It is more comfortable to drive, to ride in, and it holds a lot of people and stuff. It's great for larger trails in the woods and a lot of the open type trails that I experienced in Northern Wisconsin. I was able to keep up with my friends on their sport machines (most of the time) and went through anything they went through and more. I loved the 1000-5 except for the price tag, the door rattles, and the fear of the clutch issues (Which have now been fixed)
For small trails, the p500 is the better choice. It can go pretty much anywhere.
Hauling: The 1000 was awesome with the auto leveling shocks and had tons of power. BUT... I couldn't go too slow because of the DCT. The P500 is able to creep at really low speeds. When I did this on the 1000, I was worried I was going to cause damage to my clutches, especially when in reverse.
Reliability: To early to tell on the P500 for me. From what I read, it seems extremely reliable and closer to "Old Honda" than the 1000. But the 1000 never left me stranded. I had the clutch issue that was somewhat corrected with a reset at the dealer. The thing that drove me nuts on the 1000 was all the rattling. The doors, seats, bed all rattled from day one. I went through and was able to calm much of it down but the p500 did none of that. (It also has two less doors and 3 less seats.) The 1000 also had a heat issue when driving through water. I did not feel that yet on the p500 but time will tell.
For someone who likes simple, capable, and reliable, the p500 is a good choice. I know I can take my son out on it and have a blast all day long.
For someone who likes to have the best, the 1000 is hard to top. It may not have the navigation systems or suspension of the Polaris vehicles but it does have a lot of great features.
If comfort is your thing, the 1000 is leaps and bounds above the p500. I don't mind the utilitarian feel of the p500 but others might. For me, it's like the difference between a jeep wrangler from around 2005 compared to a jeep wrangler now.

With all of that said, I can honestly say I would recommend all three of the SxS's mentioned above. I had great experiences with all of them and each one has it's quirks.

Viking: Great machine if you want to take another person or two with some gear. Reasonably priced. It will get you there and get you home. If you want bigger tires, plan on a clutch kit or at least a slug kit for the wet clutch. And unless they have fixed the noise issue, you will want to invest in some sound cancelling materials.

Pioneer 1000: Great if you have extra $ to spend on something awesome. It's comfortable, reasonably quiet, and will haul your family around with ease. It's powerful and relatively efficient as well. I will say, for an 1800 lb machine, I would have assumed it would have come with tougher tires from the factory so this may be something you would consider adding at some point. Also, this was the only ATV/UTV that I ever felt I needed to give someone instructions to drive. "Don't go below 4 mph, keep it in low unless you plan on going over 20 mph, etc..."

Pioneer 500: Awesome if you like to ride standard ATV's but want to bring someone else along. It goes down the tight trails and is an easily driven and capable machine. You lose the comfort you have with the other two but that's not to say it's uncomfortable. I don't have back issues (yet) and am still youngish so maybe my opinion may change in the future. If you don't need to keep up with others and don't get your high from being able to slide through a corner, the p500 is great. Also a good machine if you are like me and like the simple nature of Honda machines that made them reliable and popular "back in the day." The one thing you may want to plan on adding to the cost is a decent set of tires. While the 4 ply tires should hold up okay, they look really tiny on the machine and made 1st gear almost entirely useless. Going with 26's made it feel more capable, gave it additional ground clearance, and I like the looks better.

I hope this information helps someone that's considering a new SxS. The good thing is, the market has a bunch of options to meet many different styles. The bad thing is, it is tough to make a decision. At the end of the day, ride what you like; you're the one paying for it.

All of the information above is my opinion. And I believe there is a saying that compares opinions to a part of the human anatomy but I'm not sure that belongs on the p500 review section. :D
Nice review!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Nice write up and agree with the statements. I have only logged 10 miles on my P5 and its no speed demon, but appears to be happiest at around 26-28 mph while wide open is pushing those few ponies through the back seat given the low gear and I'm fine with it...

Reactions: CFECO
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
That review was 100% spot on. I agree completely with ya. I love “Oliver” my 18’ P5 in olive. Heck the major publishers out there can’t even give a review this accurate and spot on. Good job!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
That review was 100% spot on. I agree completely with ya. I love “Oliver” my 18’ P5 in olive. Heck the major publishers out there can’t even give a review this accurate and spot on. Good job!
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't gotten a lot of time to do updates but am hoping to put something up this week. Thanks again

Reactions: Chooglin
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Updated thoughts:

I have not been able to ride as much as I had hoped but I have ridden more than I expected. The more time I spend in the P500, the more I enjoy it for what it is. Here are some of my updated thoughts after putting about 350 total miles on.

Power: I'm still perfectly fine with the amount of power the p500 has. I find it to do everything I ask of it with the exception of keeping up with any other machine. Well, it will beat my daughter's 50cc Raptor in a drag race... But seriously, I know power and speed tend to go hand in hand but I look at it like this; My P500 will climb, crawl, and descend just about anything that I have the cajones to try. It won't keep up with the RZR's, Can Ams etc... but that is not my intention ;and if you buy a p500, it shouldn't be yours.
An interesting observation regarding the type of power this little guy has. I have 26 inch Kenda Bearclaw HTR's so they are heavier than stock. When I climb loose rock or soil in first gear, it will dig itself to China before it stops spinning wheels. But... the lack of wheel speed can make it difficult to maintain enough momentum to get out of the loose terrain. A locker would surely help with this issue.

The type of power the P500 makes requires you to carefully pick a line and then finesse your way through the area. The power in something like a rzr allows you to get close and hammer down and eventually those fast spinning tires will grab something and get you over where you need to be. Both require skill; just different ways of getting a job done. Honda fell short by not, at least, offering a locker. Keep it cheap but have the option to purchase the front locker. I personally love the type of power in the P500 but wish I could use that power on all four wheels.

Suspension: I imagine that riding the P500 at a decent speed over rough trail is similar to going over Niagra Falls in a barrel or riding in a shopping cart down a cobblestone hill. I had the opportunity to ride Hatfield McCoy Rockhouse trails in April and then rode some trails up in Wisconsin this past weekend. Both of these areas really found the weak spots in the suspension. At Hatfield McCoy, my friend (on his 2017 foreman) was keeping an 18-22 mph pace. After an hour of following him, I halfway expected to find blood in my urine. The timing of the shocks reaction is similar to my 3 year old son trying to catch a ball. (Ball hits face THEN hands come together) The suspension is pretty terrible for trail riding and I will not be taking my little ones out until the WE shocks get here. If it were just me riding, I could manage but I don't want my kids to fear the ride.
Disclaimer: Yes, I'm pretty negative about the suspension but the price point of the machine makes up for it. If I used it for work, it would be fine. If I rode trails at a much slower speed, it would be fine. While I'm not a speed freak that flies through the woods trying to beat my time from my last ride, I do like to cruise at an easy 15-25 mph (depending on the trail) I don't feel as if I could do this comfortably at the moment.

Seat Belts: I love them and I hate them. I love the fact that they lock up so quickly. But... that quick lock up really irritates my collar bone/shoulder area when riding rough trails. It feels very similar to shooting a shotgun or rifle without having it pulled snug into the sweet spot. I feel quite safe with the belts but will be adding a different system in the near future; especially for when I drive my kids around. I'm a safety minded person and I have been tempted to not wear my seat belt at times. Some of you will laugh at that statement but I ALWAYS wear my seat belt. I have seen the results of not wearing them.... I choose less blood loss.

Shifting: When I first got it, it felt as if there was something wrong. Then I read all the posts about it smoothing out. And you know what, the internet was finally right. It did smooth out and it's quite awesome now. So awesome that I've become a stickler on how I have the clutch adjusted. After it broke in and then I changed the diff oil (still running Honda Recommended oil) I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Clutch Adjust: Since I mentioned it above, I figured I should say something about how easy this is to do. I used to be one that was afraid to adjust my own stuff or fix my own machines. I have gotten over that but some of the "I hope I don't screw this up" anxiety still plagues me from time to time. But this is actually easy enough where I will pull off the trail for a moment, make a quick adjustment, then continue on. Good job on that one Honda.

Maintenance: This is another area where I feel Honda did pretty well. Everything is fairly easy to access (except that damn oil filter) The seats are easy to take off, the oil is easy to get to and check, the clutch is easy to see and adjust etc... There is a certain level of confidence that is created when you don't have to do a 45 minute tear down to make a 30 second adjustment.

Fit and Finish: I have said it numerous times; I'm a simple beast. The more simple the machine, the more I like it. While the p500 is simple (in my simple mind) I do find it to be well thought out and well made. There were a few things that the person building it skimped out on but the design is good. It's small but plenty comfortable. The doors don't rattle much at all, the body panels seems to be secured well, and everything just seems to fit together well. My Can Am Outlander was a pain to take apart because you would give yourself a hernia trying to pull pieces together so the holes would line up. Even though there isn't a whole lot they could have messed up, Honda did put together a pretty nice machine.

Air Box: After my dusty ride at Hatfield McCoy and the dusty ride this past weekend, I found there to be a crazy amount of dust in my air box. I'm not sure if it's because of the location of the intake or what the issue may be but I had to replace the filter quite a bit sooner than I had expected. Not a big deal at all but something to watch out for. Plus, now that I think about it often, I will check it a lot more often and that is a good thing. No one likes a crusty/dusty box...

Need skids? : I went back and forth on this one quite a bit. I never had skids on my standard "throw your leg over" atv's and I did just fine and never had any damage. The pioneer is just a bit longer, just a bit winder and just a bit heavier than a standard atv... After dinging the bottom tube (under the floorboard) on a hit that I didn't think was anything to bad, I decided that skid plates are cheap insurance. Does everyone need them, probably not. I don't always take the hard way but I would like to have the option without the worry of busting up my buggy.

Overall thoughts after 350 miles:
When I bought the P500, it was to fill a gap in my riding. I wanted something that wouldn't brake the bank but would allow me to take my kids with me on occasion. When I bought it, I was under the impression that if I ever needed to sell one of my machines for any reason, the P500 would be the one to go because of how much I absolutely love to ride my rubicon. Now, the position has switched. I haven't lost any love for the Rubi but the P500 has impressed me and provided a lot of enjoyment. It has surpassed my expectations and has put lots of smiles on my face and the faces of my kids.

TL;DR: The P500 is a simple, awesome little machine. It will not win many races or beauty pageants but it will get you where you are going and back. And, you WILL hear your riding buddies say "I can't believe you made it through that." And sometimes, depending on what your friends ride, you may hear, "I can't believe you were able to tow me all the way back to the truck."

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think the only thing you didn't touch on was the thrill of the build. Been working on this machine over two years and none of it was due to failures.
You know Ed, with the length of these review posts if you ever write a bad one I'll have to bail on reading them, lol. Good sh**. ;)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good review Ed, have you considered a snorkel for the air intake? I built one just to get into cleaner air, the stock location is horrible. My filter/box stays much cleaner now.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I think the only thing you didn't touch on was the thrill of the build. Been working on this machine over two years and none of it was due to failures.
You know Ed, with the length of these review posts if you ever write a bad one I'll have to bail on reading them, lol. Good sh**. ;)
Yeah, I do tend to get carried away. I enjoy writing about things of interest and sometimes just write for the sake of writing. Writing reviews is my way of giving back to the many people who took the time to review their purchases, experiences, etc...

Now, if I write a bad one, make sure to let me know so I don't waste time rereading it. o_O

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Good review Ed, have you considered a snorkel for the air intake? I built one just to get into cleaner air, the stock location is horrible. My filter/box stays much cleaner now.
That's a good suggestion. I haven't put a lot of thought into a snorkel but am considering it more and more after seeing how quickly the dust accumulated in the air box. I think I will start perusing posts regarding snorkel builds and see what makes sense.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The Good:
The "Not so Good"
The Bad:

Wondering if your opinion changed at all after having your p500 a little longer. I am in between a new p500 and a slightly used p1000-3. I mostly ride atv trails and plow snow occasionally. Speed is not a huge thing for me as I am mostly on windy trails. I like the bed on the 1000-3 though.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Wondering if your opinion changed at all after having your p500 a little longer. I am in between a new p500 and a slightly used p1000-3. I mostly ride atv trails and plow snow occasionally. Speed is not a huge thing for me as I am mostly on windy trails. I like the bed on the 1000-3 though.

Really, the only change in opinion is related to level of enjoyment. I love this little side by side.
I have no complaints other than the suspension but that will be rectified within the week.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Really, the only change in opinion is related to level of enjoyment. I love this little side by side.
I have no complaints other than the suspension but that will be rectified within the week.

Thanks! They do seem like a lot of fun. I ended up making a deal on a 1000-3 today, but was torn. This one already had the windshield and hard roof, so it came down to the better deal.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!