Thoughts on riding alone

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
In the past I have ridden national forests trails in Missouri, Colorado trails, and Hatfield and McCoy trails on my dirt bike with friends and have never worried about creepies. I really don't like the thought of packing because of potential problems with law enforcement and wildlife protection agents. In Missouri we can legally open carry, but not a good idea. Wildlife agents consider you hunting if you have a gun in the woods and law enforcement consider you up to no good and depending on the officer's personality and mood he might find something to hold you on, maybe just my paranoid nature. If I did pack what is recommended; rifle, revolver, semi automatic pistol, shotgun? I do have a black powder rifle but the creepy would need to give me a 5 minute warning for me to get it ready to shoot, probably not the best personal defense weapon.

Reactions: Rick53
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
For me it is not an option of do I carry or do I not carry it is simply what will potentially work best where I am headed and along the way.
If I am to be seated as in a SxS I will use either a chest rig or shoulder holster for a .357 or .44 and no matter what a .38 in my leg pocket.
If it is a dirt bike then either a .45 acp or 10mm in an FBI cant Mitch Rosen or ElPaso Saddlery tooled leather rig along with a .38.

I have on board air on the SxS with a 2 gal tank, small but very effective.
Obviously various tools and common parts like tie rods, bulbs and some nuts and bolts.
Spare tire and wheel, tube and gorilla tape are a bonus.
Fuel, water,oil and snacks.
Straps and clevis with a small shovel.
Lots of the black rubber bungee cords and a section of rope.
If I can't get back or out with that then leave me.

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A couple years back I was hunting east of the mountains in Washington with my buddy the wirehair pointer. We had rode up in a area the I often find grouse and ended up popping a couple. It was getting near lunch time and I thought I'd head over to another ridge overlooking the mountains and range below it was sunny and getting warm (70degrees or so). I'd had a problem about a month earlier with the Rincon stalling out and ended up getting a kit to rebuild the electric fuel pump and everything was working great.
So I'm about 9 miles from my camp it was mid week so there was nobody in the campgrounds and I hadn't seen anyone while out so far. On the weekends there'd be 10 or 15 camps in the area I was parked. So I'm coming down the south side of the ridge and found a nice sunny pull off on the trail shut the quad down and proceeded to eat my lunch. Almost feel asleep I was so comfortable.
Getting close to 1:30pm and I decided to head over to another area since I'd seen bird tracks in some of the dusty roads the day before by the way it was early October a couple of weeks before deer season. Went to start the quad it turned over and over and wouldn't start. All I had was the Rincon tools that came with the quad when I purchased it which ain't much. I got into checking the simple things first.....spark plug, fuses etc looking loose connections on and on. Now it was getting close to 3:00 pm or so and I needed to make a decision to leave with the dog and shotgun and start walking I didn't have a flashlight so I wanted to get back before dark if it took that long from where I was. There's scary things out there when its dark....:)
Began the walk lucky I had one bottle of water I'd thrown in the quad and a candy bar. It was a pretty steep hike back up the ridge I need to cross up and over so we humped it I shared a some of water with the dog since I knew there was no creek in the area we where climbing. He was still in the hunting mode bet getting tired and thus thirsty.
In the meantime while walking I'm trying to figure out how when I get back to my truck am I going to get the quad in the back of my rig by myself. It had a small warn 2500 winch on it so I thought maybe I could maybe winch the quad up the hill a bit from the flat spot I had parked and roll it in back.
I got down to the camp/park area and there was one other rig parked about 30 yards from me so I headed for my RV got a quick bite and through some line and food in my truck and walked down towards this other camp to so if I could find someone perhaps to help get the quad in back of my truck. As I got closer I could see the only person around the camp was a guy I'm guessing was in his mid eighties. He saw me walking towards him I waved and he waved back when close I said "hey I'm broke down on my quad on the ridge by the weather station area do you think you could ride up there with me and help me get the ATV in my truck bed"? He looked at me and spoke but what he said was hardly understandable. Turned out he had no voice box he'd lost it to cancer and he explained to me as we drove up the road which was about 1hr drive on a s***y bumpy road in the Ram 3500 he did what is called "burb talk" he'd burb his words out. So we got to the rig and ended up having enough battery to winch the ATV up on the hill behind the truck and rolling it in the truck bed.
As we talked heading back to camp he explained he used to race flat track bikes professionally all over the world and made a lot of money (he didn't appear to have much seeing what he had around his camp he'd set up). He also said several woman have it now!
It was a good lesson never judge someone by there appearance I really enjoyed his company that day and evening. Next morning I heard him start his dirt bike up and watched him haul ass out of the parking lot with perfect form....

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
My wife and I ride in one rig. Pack everything we need to walk out or camp out (bug spray and a pistol incase the mosquitos are to big ) . Usually never more than 30 miles out. She is more reliable and level headed than most of my buddies. Also let someone know the general direction we are headed and when we will be back.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
A four pistol case with a Glock 34, Glock 35, Kimber 1911, & a Springfield Loaded 1911, plus 5 mags each. Also an ammo can and an ice chest. Is anything else really necessary? 😃

IMG 20210417 164613462 HDR

12luck12

12luck12

Feb 10, 2019
Genesee idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Always carry a Gun of some shape with me. Here in Idaho it is hunting season almost all year long. For some kind of critter. Never thought I needed protection from people. Always have plenty of wobble pops as a peace offering. And yes I try and carry and be prepared for any event that might happen on the trail. Have yet to not been able to get back home.

NielsC

NielsC

Nov 28, 2019
Prescott, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always ride alone. 40 to 80 miles into National Forest and BLM. I follow the “self rescue” philosophy. I keep my P1000-5 LE properly serviced. I have lots of water, food, first aid kit, maps, gps, and shelter. I carry a spare, farm jack, extra fuel and tools. I also have a winch. I have a ZOLEO satellite communicator because where I go there is no cell coverage. I have used the same philosophy in aviation, scuba diving, Sailboat racing and Cruising on the Ocean, hiking, hunting and fishing. In forty years I have never needed rescue, but have rescued more than I can count. Self rescue is a mind set a state of mind.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ideally take a rescue beacon like this one...

Also spare tire, a few tools and a winch, spare fuses, and a jack. Also survival stuff...water or water purifier, thermal blanket, high calorie food and good hiking shoes along with a backpack and garbage bags. Garbage bags make good raincoats and can keep your feet dry during stream crossings. If you're riding a machine with a belt take a spare. Think about a pistol also.

C

Cal1953

Jan 27, 2019
Saskatchewan
Ownership

1. 500
So far I have only taken my P500 to high use riding areas, however I am thinking about some weekday national forest trails that could take me 20 to 30 miles away from help. When I rode dirtbikes I seldom rode alone, and never on trails that might not have traffic for days. Anyone out there ride alone on seldom accessed trails? If so do you leave trail info with someone to send help if you don't return? Other ideas?
Yes, leaving your riding itinerary is a good idea. Often used by pilots in place of a flight plan. The best thing you have going for you is one of the most reliable off road machines out there, in the P500. Another idea in case your injured or immobile is the Spot locator or another brand sold by Bass Pro. These unit use the satellite network for communication outside cell service. I travel in remote country in northern Saskatchewan, and taking basic survival equipment is a smart idea in case you have to walk out.

advertisement
Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding alone in a Honda SXS is perfectly safe. It's a Honda. Only those driving a Pile-aris should be concerned about riding alone. 😂 Common sense, the right supplies and equipment, and the Honda are all you need. IMHO.

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ride in Alaska so my 375 h&h is always on board when riding alone also I keep a rope puller with 100 feet of rope and a come-a-long...swamped my wheeler one day in a mud hole way deeper then I thought it was! Didn't want to drain my battery using the winch so pulled her out with the rope puller...drained her out and she fired right up after 5 minutes of letting the filter box dry out! I never leave home without my rope puller now...alone or not!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride alone all the time especially if I can’t get any of my imaginary friends to come along. I use a Garmin InReach Explorer GPS and Bluetooth it to my IPad where I have run the Earth Mate App for eons. Love it! Naer lost and if I were, it’s because I planned on it. I also use a Benchmark road and recreation atlas. The InReach allows for SOS and texting. The main reason I don’t mind riding alone and feel safe is because I was driving a Honda. Seriously, that’s one of the top reasons we buy Honda. Reliability.
Also, if riding alone, keep an overnight bag with extra water and rations, 1st aid, Sasquatch salad mix etc...
80BDF37C 5B46 46FB B367 0637B0F92504

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I have only driven about 100 yards total alone in my talon.

1300 miles on it.

Always someone along (I have a wife and 5 kids)

Plus a list of close friends a mile long who would be ecstatic to ride along in the mountains. (Probably the most enjoyable thing for me about this whole sxs thing has been bringing people new places that provide amazing views and fun times getting there. )

We are having about 150 close friends over next Saturday for food and a general gathering.

I guess I couldn’t imagine riding alone.

As far as being the only machine?

Probably 30% of the time that is the case.

I pack a huge amount of tools, recovery gear, spare parts. (8500# winch, land anchor, saw, air compressor, shovel, oil, coolant, etc etc.)

01DF8BE3 3EDE 4373 8E15 0170B4645949
D230CF09 E1B8 439B 9338 8BCE9F298CEF
3DB07109 9B0F 47B7 A3C2 CA25E1AFDE7F

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
In the past I have ridden national forests trails in Missouri, Colorado trails, and Hatfield and McCoy trails on my dirt bike with friends and have never worried about creepies. I really don't like the thought of packing because of potential problems with law enforcement and wildlife protection agents. In Missouri we can legally open carry, but not a good idea. Wildlife agents consider you hunting if you have a gun in the woods and law enforcement consider you up to no good and depending on the officer's personality and mood he might find something to hold you on, maybe just my paranoid nature. If I did pack what is recommended; rifle, revolver, semi automatic pistol, shotgun? I do have a black powder rifle but the creepy would need to give me a 5 minute warning for me to get it ready to shoot, probably not the best personal defense weapon.

When I refer to packing I mean a pistol. Have a CPL so not worried too much about LEO's. As for creepers, they're out there. Like everything else we prepare for, would rather have it and not need it...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In the past I have ridden national forests trails in Missouri, Colorado trails, and Hatfield and McCoy trails on my dirt bike with friends and have never worried about creepies.
I understand you may never have worried about them, but they can be out there taking advantage of the remoteness nevertheless, even if the risk is minimal. I do backpacking trips solo as well, 3-4 nighters and get much more remote than I can on a SXS. I do pack, not because of four legged creepers (I don’t backpack where there’s grizzlies) but two legged ones....😉

Reactions: Mudwing
Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
So far I have only taken my P500 to high use riding areas, however I am thinking about some weekday national forest trails that could take me 20 to 30 miles away from help. When I rode dirtbikes I seldom rode alone, and never on trails that might not have traffic for days. Anyone out there ride alone on seldom accessed trails? If so do you leave trail info with someone to send help if you don't return? Other ideas?
we should get together and ride the Palmer lake area. hit me up.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I use to ride the Palmer lake area about 15 years ago, is it still legal to ride there? When I stopped riding there the rangers were only allowing plated bikes on forest roads, no trails.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!