Thoughts on riding alone

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
So far I have only taken my P500 to high use riding areas, however I am thinking about some weekday national forest trails that could take me 20 to 30 miles away from help. When I rode dirtbikes I seldom rode alone, and never on trails that might not have traffic for days. Anyone out there ride alone on seldom accessed trails? If so do you leave trail info with someone to send help if you don't return? Other ideas?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya we bought sat phone awhile back and although it’s never been needed it was nice knowing it was there.
prior to that we only had one instance over the years that was bad, snowstorm hit hard.
like riding in group but if nothing else I wouldn’t shy away from going alone.
Always just a little easier on things, bit more calculated make sure a few tools, inflator, tire plugs and fuel. Plenty of ratchet straps. Pistol always on hand.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a SPOT tracker for emergencies, they have a 911 button and the new ones have text capabilities so you can tell rescue what's wrong - out of fuel, exposed bone or arterial spray. :oops: They use GPS satellites, not cell signal so they work everywhere (above ground).

This is what the tracker pings look like on my desktop, each ping has the GPS coordinate. My Sister loves this thing when I'm traveling, she knows that as long as I'm moving, I'm ok, whether on the trail or driving between Denver and Phoenix. The basic SPOT has 10 minute ping intervals, an upgrade gets you 5 minute pings (shown in the photo). It doesn't have the resolution of a GPS (5 minute pings vs 82 ft.) but that's not necessary, you only need the last ping for location. Hovering over each ping will show its coordinates (not in the pic, on their site).

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have ridden alone a few times, but always seem to 'hold back' and never get the full potential of what 'could be'. When I would go ahead and try a questionable spot the fun was over ridden by worry of what might be the outcome. To make the story short ...... for me, it is just a LOT more enjoyable riding with friends.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on what you mean riding alone, one machine or one person? Most of my riding is just me and the wife and I probably don't sweat it as much as I should. Honestly, having a wife or g/f with you usually just means something else you have to worry about. Been stuck way out before, took a bit but winch, straps and a stick as a shovel got me out. Have met some creepy characters on the trails, so always packing.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm, a lot to think about. Mini GPS satellite sounds good, by ride alone I mean a single UTV with my wife and myself, creepy people on the ride I didn't even consider, and I am never packing so I might need to reconsider ... or not ... not sure. Thanks for all the input.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Still riding alone, yesterday was over 150 miles testing the limits of the new Trail Tank while exploring some underappreciated areas of the Grand Staircase. It's all in the prep; extra gas, spare tire, locator beacon, fire starters, air compressor, recovery gear beyond just a winch, etc.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you do a lot of riding alone in desolate forest locations and are serious about your family or someone else being able to locate you consider a SPOT tracker.

The SPOT is what Iron Butt motorcyle rdiers use.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I ride alone half of the time. I don't go on long remote rides and a few of the guys can help if I have a problem. I know where my cell phone will work and I have my little Suzuki motorcycle plus a spare tire and tools. Several years ago I took it on my solo Quad Rides. All three of my Polaris RZR's broke and two Rhino's. The little Suzuki saved me from walking several times. One of the guys asked why I carried in on my Hondas and said Hondas don't break.

20210429 084946 resized 50inch3 Big Solo Ride

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i always ride alone. mainly cause i dont have any friends. thought owning a sxs would help change that.. guess im still an asshole hahaha. i have gotten myself into a pickle more than once but got lucky every time and was able to get out. learned lessons each time.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
i always ride alone. mainly cause i dont have any friends. thought owning a sxs would help change that.. guess im still an asshole hahaha. i have gotten myself into a pickle more than once but got lucky every time and was able to get out. learned lessons each time.
I’m glad someone can admit their an asshole 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

R

rickoshea

i always go out alone.i have everything i need to walk out or overnight packed in my bin.the wife usually has a general idea of where i'm exploring.i have the training/experience to wander way off the beaten track,and if i break down,i guess i'm walkin'.i take extra care when i'm really out there.no big deal.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hmmm, a lot to think about. Mini GPS satellite sounds good, by ride alone I mean a single UTV with my wife and myself, creepy people on the ride I didn't even consider, and I am never packing so I might need to reconsider ... or not ... not sure. Thanks for all the input.
Yep, riding alone with a woman is different than me alone with myself, it brings a whole new level of responsibility. I took a 5 month trip in the RV across the USA and Canada and was constantly reminded that I couldn't camp in some places if I was responsible for my significant other. Since I knew I was headed for Canada, carrying a sidearm or two wasn't an option.

Reactions: Rick53 and J80
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Found my spirit animal.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!