P1000 Throttle Problems 175 miles :(

C

Contoocook

Jun 29, 2021
Nh
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello! I have a 2018 1000-5 i bought new, it was the top model, dark grey with the fox shocks and all that, i took it up north summer of 19 and had a blast, drove it around my town a few times as well all good. It was garage kept over the winter and i didn't drive it till this year. Started right up and i drove it about 300 yards when the speed seemed capped at 12 mph. i thought it was the buckel safety. so i buckled up. then it was puttering out and stalled. i couldn't get it to stay running. i fathered gas until i got it back to my house. since then it will start every time, with correct rpm ( in park) for about 2 seconds then either stall or go super low on RPM and ramp up then down to almost stall then back up. it will do that trend no more than 40 seconds before it stalls. now, if i get on throttle i can keep it at any rpm i want consistently, but as soon as i let off the gas it stalls. i thought water in fuel so i just now emptied it into a clear container and it looked fine. Re filled with new fuel and same thing. any thoughts???

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sounds like it wasn't used for the past 2 years, so I wonder about bad gas that might take a while to work it self out. I saw a thread on here yesterday talking about using non ethanol fuel. If I have something I don't run regularly I usually put non ethanol in it to try and prolong the life of the gas. Just a thought. Also there was some problems about the fuel injector connector having a bad crimp on some models, but I think it would throw a code. I have never had the problem on my '18 but you might do a little searching to see if it sounds familiar. I think the forum store was selling replacement connectors to alleviate this problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can you check exhaust manifold temps? Temp gun the two cylinders and see if there is a difference between the two.

C

Contoocook

Jun 29, 2021
Nh
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also I should say I've been trying different things for about a week and it's been the same every time , runs poorly, rpms ramp up and drop , stalls within 40 seconds or less

advertisement
C

Contoocook

Jun 29, 2021
Nh
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Fuel pump could be on its way out.
i hope thats what it is, i have anew one on the way just incase
Hello! I have a 2018 1000-5 i bought new, it was the top model, dark grey with the fox shocks and all that, i took it up north summer of 19 and had a blast, drove it around my town a few times as well all good. It was garage kept over the winter and i didn't drive it till this year. Started right up and i drove it about 300 yards when the speed seemed capped at 12 mph. i thought it was the buckel safety. so i buckled up. then it was puttering out and stalled. i couldn't get it to stay running. i fathered gas until i got it back to my house. since then it will start every time, with correct rpm ( in park) for about 2 seconds then either stall or go super low on RPM and ramp up then down to almost stall then back up. it will do that trend no more than 40 seconds before it stalls. now, if i get on throttle i can keep it at any rpm i want consistently, but as soon as i let off the gas it stalls. i thought water in fuel so i just now emptied it into a clear container and it looked fine. Re filled with new fuel and same thing. any thoughts???
anyone know what it should idle at in park? I'm at like one bar above 2. Exhaust is flowing red in park only? I'm so confused

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
i hope thats what it is, i have anew one on the way just incase

anyone know what it should idle at in park? I'm at like one bar above 2. Exhaust is flowing red in park only? I'm so confused
Have you checked to make sure exhaust isn't clogged up? Maybe something crawled up in there and blocked it just enough so when you give it gas it acts up 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Lady01
C

Contoocook

Jun 29, 2021
Nh
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you checked to make sure exhaust isn't clogged up? Maybe something crawled up in there and blocked it just enough so when you give it gas it acts up 🤷‍♂️
No but I just got it running , I took the injectors out a few times and re seated them. It's idling now at 2k rpm in park. Has been for about an hour. Exhaust is still glowing but nothings caught fire yet lol. I assume if something crawled up there it would all be ash by now

Reactions: Lady01
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take the airfilter lid off the airbox and see what it runs like. the air intake runs from under the hood all the way back to filter box. mice could of clogged it up. the exhaust should not be glowing Red at idle shut it off before it tears more stuff up

C

Contoocook

Jun 29, 2021
Nh
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ya I've had this thing ripped apart for a week. There's nothing in the air box. Now it's blinking 10 slow blinks and 2 quick ones. Any one know what that means I can't find it online

S

Sherpaboy

Nov 24, 2019
Moses Lake, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
102 is abnormal throttle valve position with the throttle pedal released. Sticking throttle Valve. The PCM should limit the engine speed. Probable causes are: incorrect accelerator pedal freeplay or a Faulty throttle release angle sensor.
Idle speed should be 1350 +/- 100 rpms.
This is according to my maintenance manual.

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!