P1000 Throttle response

R

rob137

Nov 8, 2018
Atlanta
Ownership

1. 1000-3
New to this vehicle and forum. Got some great answers on my "Is this normal" post, so thought I would ask another question.

The machine feels very jerky/sensitive to throttle input. It almost feels like there is only 2 positions on the throttle, stop and all out. Very hard to find the sweet spot.

Its a 2018 1000 EPS. I did some searching and it looks like there was a clutch refactor that may help alleviate. I'm unsure how to determine if my unit would be eligible.

Or does it fall into the category of it gets better with more riding, both in terms of me getting used to it and/or break in?

Reactions: sharp
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to this vehicle and forum. Got some great answers on my "Is this normal" post, so thought I would ask another question.

The machine feels very jerky/sensitive to throttle input. It almost feels like there is only 2 positions on the throttle, stop and all out. Very hard to find the sweet spot.

Its a 2018 1000 EPS. I did some searching and it looks like there was a clutch refactor that may help alleviate. I'm unsure how to determine if my unit would be eligible.

Or does it fall into the category of it gets better with more riding, both in terms of me getting used to it and/or break in?
Mine was a little jerky at first too, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It still can be when someone new drives it or my daughter who doesn't drive it too often.

There is a product called throttle maxx that helps supposedly, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

The Throttle Max helped with this.

P1000 - Throttle Maxx pedal

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Foot finesse, muscle memory it takes some getting used too.

E

Elbow

Jul 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I realize this is a 2018 thread but I have a 2017 machine.
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip (and burn). This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.

H

HondaTech

I realize this is a 2018 thread but I have a 2017 machine.
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip (and burn). This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.

Your machine may have never had the clutch update, the clutches could he damaged as well.

I also recommend (as does Honda) doing a clutch relearn every oil change.

You can also stop copy/pasting the same response in 3 different threads and see if that works.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Does Honda make a throttle map option like the RMAX D-Mode?

Reactions: Smitty335
E

Elbow

Jul 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your machine may have never had the clutch update, the clutches could he damaged as well.

I also recommend (as does Honda) doing a clutch relearn every oil change.

You can also stop copy/pasting the same response in 3 different threads and see if that works.
My machine has had the clutch update, and clutch #1 (the one I mainly use) was recently changed with another clutch relearn.

The problems I mention relate only to slow, rough, hilly trails (which is what I mainly use). And when I say “no power”, I again mean on slow (less than 7 kph), hilly terrain where you can’t get enough rpms to get some power.

Instead of being defensive and trying to protect Honda’s reputation, you should insist that they make improvements.

I’ve been hearing about these problems is various forms for many years, and I’ve only heard about Honda blaming customers, so I’m justified in repeating my message as often as I like, copy and paste or otherwise.

H

HondaTech

My machine has had the clutch update, and clutch #1 (the one I mainly use) was recently changed with another clutch relearn.

The problems I mention relate only to slow, rough, hilly trails (which is what I mainly use). And when I say “no power”, I again mean on slow (less than 7 kph), hilly terrain where you can’t get enough rpms to get some power.

Instead of being defensive and trying to protect Honda’s reputation, you should insist that they make improvements.

I’ve been hearing about these problems is various forms for many years, and I’ve only heard about Honda blaming customers, so I’m justified in repeating my message as often as I like, copy and paste or otherwise.

Honda ain't for everyone, my GM and his friend put over 4k miles on 2 machines climbing the hills and hollers of black moutain in Harlan, KY.

It don't get much more rough and hilly then them old hills.

Maybe a belt machine is your best bet.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve been hearing about these problems is various forms
Thats a problem right there! “Many forums” we is the only one with real info you know! 🤣
So we need to get some things straight here about your claim. This isnt being a smart ass.
You say….
I again mean on slow (less than 7 kph), hilly terrain where you can’t get enough rpms to get some power.
Is your machine stock? What size tires? What mods for weight? Etc..
thats another reason we ask for pics and info. You cant just lay this claim without that cuz we may have your answer. Might not be what you want to hear, but it WILL answer a majority of your claim. This is why we stand out above other forums. We deal with the Facts when its ALL including pics are laid out.
If your still not happy with that, then I suggest a jeep or a Bronco.
Ok not a jeep, you’ll have multiple issues and you’ll b!itch about that too. 🤣
I’m justified in repeating my message as often as I like, copy and paste
Okie dokie then….
So you can copy and Paste a pic then right? 🤔 😏
POIDH

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet there ain't a Honda owning, non-Yamaha owner hanging out making grunting and f_ _ting noises, trying to besmirch the brand over on the rubber band site. Honda owners are too busy having fun for such frivolous nonsense.