BOX1

P500 Ticking noise and bike won’t start?

K

Kgin504

Sep 16, 2015
Anyone ever had this happen? Dash board flashes repeatedly when key is turned into accessory (ACC) and the bike cranks but won’t start in the Start posistion. There is a fast clicking sound coming from the battery box above the passenger tire. Battery has full 12.7v and the ground has been verified at the lug and on the frame. This is driving me nuts!

• Wow
Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Sounds like a bad or loose relay. Pull the battery cover and put your hand on the relays while someone cranks it over, see if it's one of the relays cutting in/out.

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone ever had this happen? Dash board flashes repeatedly when key is turned into accessory (ACC) and the bike cranks but won’t start in the Start posistion. There is a fast clicking sound coming from the battery box above the passenger tire. Battery has full 12.7v and the ground has been verified at the lug and on the frame. This is driving me nuts!

Check it for a bomb......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: J80
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is that voltage with the key on? yes.
Key off 12.7
Key on 12.4
As I’m cranking on the starter 11.6ish.
Good?
Yes, thats good

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Clicking is frequently low voltage in the starter cranking circuit. Since the battery has voltage, I'd clean all the contact surfaces on the heavy cable ends - battery/starter/solenoid/grounds.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
A way you can verify what CID is pointing out would be to put your voltmeter lead on the starter positive terminal and see what your voltage is. Then have someone crank the engine and see what the voltage drops to at the starter. If it is more than your 11.6-ish, you could have corroded connections or a bad cable.

Reactions: Kgin504 and CID
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Shouldn't be :: could be ????.
Starters on these P500 have been known to have a problem Inside with Magnets breaking apart ????
I Carry a Spare Starter.

K

Kgin504

Sep 16, 2015
Shouldn't be :: could be ????.
Starters on these P500 have been known to have a problem Inside with Magnets breaking apart ????
I Carry a Spare Starter.
Hey guys the starter actually sounds good I could hear it trying to start it’s like I’m not being provided with spark and the engine is not kicking over… What is really odd is this is intermittent and it’s only happened a few times over the last few months but now it won’t start at all

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Hey guys the starter actually sounds good I could hear it trying to start it’s like I’m not being provided with spark and the engine is not kicking over… What is really odd is this is intermittent and it’s only happened a few times over the last few months but now it won’t start at all
Hi I just fixed my 450r honda. I had the one way starter clutch bearing go out. Worked fine and one day wing. Starter spins but motor didn't turn over. The 500 has a similar starter bearing. Is yours turning the starter without turning the motor over? Is it making any pressure out the exhaust?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Maybe the battery failing under load, even with good voltage but low amps. Flashing dash. Been there. Good luck.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
If starter is turning it over -- not starting & you have compression.
Back to basics : 1- 0 -1
Check for : 1 - spark & spark plug
2 - fuel & delivery
3 - All wiring --- power to spark & fuel.
Vibration & Critters ( chewing ) have been known to cause Wires to be Seperated.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Fixed yet?

Reactions: CID
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
It friggin’ worked today with no issues. No ticking, no dash flicker, nothing. Just key on and it fired right up. I have to find out what’s going on here before this thing leaves me in the woods!
Intermittent might be a loose or dirty connection, even the main ground near the battery. Good luck.

Reactions: Mudwing
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Take the battery out and have it load tested at a good battery shop ours was bad the day we bought it. 4 hours and it lost a charge the day we bought it. We bought it and took it to the woods to break it in on gravel roads. 4 or 5 rides about 20 or 30 minutes and the trans stopped shifting. Shut it down got it shifted into neutral and it bearly started. Got it to the truck shut it off to get out of gear and it wouldn't start after that. Back to the dealer and ya they load tested the battery and exchanged it.
I raced dirt track and I would love to have a set of real gauges for it rpm, temp, oil, and voltage

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing
P

PIONEER_STEVE

Feb 22, 2021
KISSIMMEE, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It friggin’ worked today with no issues. No ticking, no dash flicker, nothing. Just key on and it fired right up. I have to find out what’s going on here before this thing leaves me in the woods
did you figure out your issue? I'm having a similar issue with my brand new 2021 p1000-5 and it was my first ride out yesterday. all type of lights were coming on dash. battery was like if it was dead and the clicking was from starter solenoid.

P

PIONEER_STEVE

Feb 22, 2021
KISSIMMEE, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
did you figure out your issue? I'm having a similar issue with my brand new 2021 p1000-5 and it was my first ride out yesterday. all type of lights were coming on dash. battery was like if it was dead and the clicking was from starter solenoid.
Took it to dealer they found the stator plug/connector was not fully plugged together.

Reactions: Mudder
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I just found out the charging problem on our 520 was the fact that the stator wires and battery wires going into the voltage rectifier regulator were not plugged in all the way and not making contact. We ran it twice for about 4 hours each on just battery power

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!