P1000 Tie Rod HELP.

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Threads from the Inner tie rod broke off Inside the Steering Arm. This is why its taking so long. Three different easy outs, torches, welders. Still in there. @ODAMO
Screenshot 25

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Threads from the Inner tie rod broke off Inside the Steering Arm. This is why its taking so long. Three different easy outs, torches, welders. Still in there. @ODAMO
View attachment 382810
I watched a YouTube video one time but haven't tried this. The guy took a copper pipe that would fit down in that hole snug. Cut it off flush. Then you can mig weld inside that copper pipe on the broken bolt until the weld is up to the top. Then you can weld a nut on it. I think the guy actually used an old screwdriver and then just kept working that broken bolt till it came out. The copper pipe keeps weld from getting on the inside threads. I'll try to find the video.

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried every trick in the book. The last thing I did was a easy out in the broken bolt. It is not a reverse thread, the easy out bite hard and would not remove the bolt. I welded a old socket to the easy out and used an impact with torches. The easy-out twisted in place and never turned the broken bolt.
I think my only option at this point is drill and tap or replacement. I have a replacement internal steering rod. Just not sure how to remove it yet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I tried every trick in the book. The last thing I did was a easy out in the broken bolt. It is not a reverse thread, the easy out bite hard and would not remove the bolt. I welded a old socket to the easy out and used an impact with torches. The easy-out twisted in place and never turned the broken bolt.
I think my only option at this point is drill and tap or replacement. I have a replacement internal steering rod. Just not sure how to remove it yet.
Have you tried heating the female fitting portion of the fitting? Not so hot that it heats the male threads.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 382810
You probably have to drill all the way thru and close to tap drill dia. To weaken the broken stud. If the gods start to smile down upon you, you may luck out and not have to retap. Either way, when you finally get it out you will get another hole punched in your man card.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of easy out have you tried?
May I suggest this? Get the one with the drill guides. If you have an easy out broken in the rack, you are pretty much screwed unless you have some expensive drill bits for the hardened steel.

Not exactly cheap though.

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you not sure how to remove the rack from the machine?
Or how to disassembly the rack?

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you not sure how to remove the rack from the machine?
Or how to disassembly the rack?
Disassemble the rack itself to replace the internal steering rod that the inner tie rods screw into. I have a replacement one of them, just haven't had a chance to figure out how to tear down the rack to access it.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!