P700m4 Tie straps location

80sforlife

Mar 30, 2015
Best location to use tie down straps on P4 to transport on trailer. Everytime I secure tie down straps on recommended location on rear bar the suspension causes straps to come unattached from trailer. Any ideas?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the same problem. I purchased this kit and four extra axle straps. I have no more problems with it now. It also allows me to tie to the wheels if I like. If I tie to the bumpers, it still stays connected due to the clips on the ends of the straps.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-513216

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondasxs
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The link wouldn't work for me. Here's a pic from the summit website.

8d6c3f0b9075ddbc15f260bda66fe473

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had that issue either the rear coming loose occasionally, noticed it was only when I strapped the front down first.

I have a 12' trailer so the straps pull against each other pretty well.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have not seen this problem yet. Knock on wood! I haul one some real curvy and bumpy roads. Remember when securing a load such as a vehicle use parking brake, leave in gear and diff lock, and Never put straps or chain over brake lines or wires. When you find safe locations tighten all 4 corners out at 45deg angle so that when you rock the vehicle the trailer moves with it and without slack in the straps. I will start down the road and bounce, swing and brake check the load. Then pull over and retighten my straps.

Reactions: joeymt33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not seen this problem yet. Knock on wood! I haul one some real curvy and bumpy roads. Remember when securing a load such as a vehicle use parking brake, leave in gear and diff lock, and Never put straps or chain over brake lines or wires. When you find safe locations tighten all 4 corners out at 45deg angle so that when you rock the vehicle the trailer moves with it and without slack in the straps. I will start down the road and bounce, swing and brake check the load. Then pull over and retighten my straps.

Yup in 4lock with E Brake on.

The rear bounces enough it will free itself. I have 2" 4500lb ratchet straps one front one rear. I run the rear around the hitch ball and tighten it down till its tight then run the front behind the bumper and tighten it down till she's squatting. If I do the front first no matter how tight I get it the rear comes loose occasionally but if I do the rear first haven't had an issue.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My last trip to Top Trails down there by you Mr Creek I had my rear strap come loose 2 times. I think I strapped the front first and had the same problem. When I purchased those Mac's strap, I figured a couple hundred bucks was cheap insurance for a rig that has $15k or so in it. The real scary thought is hurting a person with a load tie down issue.

Joe

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My last trip to Top Trails down there by you Mr Creek I had my rear strap come loose 2 times. I think I strapped the front first and had the same problem. When I purchased those Mac's strap, I figured a couple hundred bucks was cheap insurance for a rig that has $15k or so in it. The real scary thought is hurting a person with a load tie down issue.

Joe

Agreed thats why I went with the 4500lb rated straps. The Pioneer is a dynamic load it is always shifting because of the suspension, and dynamic loads are dangerous loads.
http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...unit-onto-midtown-manhattan-street-1.10492036

Dynamic loads also wear on your straps so they need to be replaced periodically.

We need to get together and ride, sorry you couldn't make it this past time.

Marc Cummings

Marc Cummings

May 6, 2015
I was told by someone to always leave it in neutral so it will roll out of the way as opposed to flipping down the road with it in gear if it does come off the trailer.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Marc Cummings I hear you but at that point?!? If the SXS has already left the trailer it is a very dangerous situation either way Wheels locked or not. I think that the propose of the 4 wheel lock and parking brake is that if you are heading down the road and you notice a strap unsecure it will afford you some traction between the trailer and the SXS to allow you to get the vehicle to a safe stop. I hope that made sense.

I am pretty sure that I could hang my trailer upside down and the SXS would stay on the trailer! I use the C130 cargo loading formulas that not only allow for "tying the SXS down" but also allows for the G forces that would occur in a crash! We should be not just securing the SXS for the trip but we should be securing it for in the case of we get in a wreck that the SXS stays on the trailer and the trailer stays with the Truck. It is very important to secure in all directions!!! Forward, back, side, and vertical. If anyone would like I would be happy to post this stuff from a manual.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement
Marc Cummings

Marc Cummings

May 6, 2015
@Marc Cummings I hear you but at that point?!? If the SXS has already left the trailer it is a very dangerous situation either way Wheels locked or not. I think that the propose of the 4 wheel lock and parking brake is that if you are heading down the road and you notice a strap unsecure it will afford you some traction between the trailer and the SXS to allow you to get the vehicle to a safe stop. I hope that made sense.

I am pretty sure that I could hang my trailer upside down and the SXS would stay on the trailer! I use the C130 cargo loading formulas that not only allow for "tying the SXS down" but also allows for the G forces that would occur in a crash! We should be not just securing the SXS for the trip but we should be securing it for in the case of we get in a wreck that the SXS stays on the trailer and the trailer stays with the Truck. It is very important to secure in all directions!!! Forward, back, side, and vertical. If anyone would like I would be happy to post this stuff from a manual.
I hear you, I don't do a very good job tying my ride down to the trailer. can you post some good suggestions on points to hit?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hear you, I don't do a very good job tying my ride down to the trailer. can you post some good suggestions on points to hit?
I hope you didn't think that was aimed at you? If so i am sorry It's just that I have had Safty drilled into me!! And I know that I can get carried away up on my soap box preaching about it lol. But yes i will pull out my info this weekend and get someing posted here for everyone.

Reactions: Marc Cummings
Marc Cummings

Marc Cummings

May 6, 2015
Not at all. I kept cutting straps and need some pointers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
I use to have that problem with the commander. Bought a trailer with rails. Keeps it nice and corralled incase the straps came off.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am just going to post this info and let y'all read it. If anyone has a hard time reading it, I’ll try to explain it further just ask. I know the 1st time I read it I had to get someone to translate it to good Ol' Boy for me to understand.

Attachments

• load master help.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for that info @bobbyhill. It was a good read this morning. Maybe I should have read it before hauling the pioneer 3 hours round trip yesterday.

Here are some pics of the straps and and locations I used to secure the pioneer.

812eada9101c15ed4a9dd0ca3a268251

0f79852ef459b828438a8d99cddb3011

E8682c595cbc51b412caf63d86ee53e1

Oh yeah, and I leave it in 4-lock with parking break set.

Joe

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great pics!! I like those straps!!

RunningBear

RunningBear

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have towed heavy equipment, farm equipment, ATVs, etc. for years and am very particular about how I tie them down. The Pioneer is actually one of the easiest things I have to tie down because it has four handy hook points on each corner built right in!

The attached photos show where I attach the straps front and rear (four total when towing). The straps in the photos are NOT what I use to actually tie it down on the trailer. I use much heavier ratchet straps. I just grabbed them to demonstrate in the shop. These tie-down points are structurally very strong. I'm also not shy about getting the straps good and tight so that the Pioneer doesn't move!

Strap Front
Strap Front Closeup
Strap Rear
Strap Rear Closeup

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I read a post once (don't remember where) where somebody used these straps that basically strap the tire down. the straps get bolted to the trailer and ratchet around the tire, they looked like a good option also. I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have towed similar to that. I have put the 24" straps through the wheels before. The vehicle does sway more with out the suspension compressed but I'm sure it's safe.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!