Tire Pressure PSI

T

TrailTamer

May 10, 2013
Maintaining proper tire pressure is important with any vehicle much less your side by side or ATV. My experience with ATV's has me accustom to low pressure tires around the 4-5 psi range. With such said do you think the Pioneer will run the same low PSI tires? One would think that since it is a heaver machine that Honda would recommend increasing the PSI to a higher level.

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
You are correct, Honda does recommend increasing the PSI above what you may be accustom to with a ATV. Maintaining the proper pressure is important. However most important is maintaining the proper balance between the left and right sides of both the front or rear. Having odd or off pressures is dangerous and you could be seriously injured or killed if you loose control.

When checking pressure it is important to check at what they call the tires "COLD" point. This point would be before you even take it for a small ride around the parking lot. Once the tire starts to roll the pressure builds and will give a over-reading compared to its COLD point.

Honda recommended COLD pressure levels:
Front: 10 PSI (70 kPa), Under heavy load maintain 10 PSI in front tires.
Rear: 12 PSI (80 kPa), Under heavy load maxim 18 PSI (120 kPa)

Have fun and stay safe.

Reactions: Smitty335
atvsnowman

atvsnowman

Mar 28, 2013
I run 10 in my ATV now. It calls for 4 I think. So I'm sure 12 will not be enough for me.

S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My New to Me, 2022 1000-3 manual says 18 psi front and rear. That seems high to me and higher than what others are quoting for these machines. Did Honda increase the recommended pressures for 2022? Tires are stock Armstrong 27"

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve got 28” Big Horn II’s,9’s in front and 11’s in back,and when I was at the 2022 TO I ran 14 psi to prevent a pinch flat. Now I run 12 psi front and rear. I would adjust the air pressure to suit your particular riding environment. Slow, rocky,hill climbing less psi and flat trail riding more psi, making sure the pressures are even side to side.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My New to Me, 2022 1000-3 manual says 18 psi front and rear. That seems high to me and higher than what others are quoting for these machines. Did Honda increase the recommended pressures for 2022? Tires are stock Armstrong 27"
Ok, surprised @Mopower58 didnt let you know this lol. But looks like he was kind enough to answer.

This is an 11 year old thread. The last post before you posted was 11 years ago as well. Always try and look to see 1 how old the thread is and 2 when was the last time the person your responding to (always hit the reply under the post your replying to as well)
For example, the OP hasnt been on since 2013 and the the other guy since 21’ odds are they aint gonna see your post. Best off to start a new thread at that point if u cant find your answer in the search FYI.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, surprised @Mopower58 didnt let you know this lol. But looks like he was kind enough to answer.

This is an 11 year old thread. The last post before you posted was 11 years ago as well. Always try and look to see 1 how old the thread is and 2 when was the last time the person your responding to (always hit the reply under the post your replying to as well)
For example, the OP hasnt been on since 2013 and the the other guy since 21’ odds are they aint gonna see your post. Best off to start a new thread at that point if u cant find your answer in the search FYI.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!