H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got 2,096 miles on mine. Its frame [HASHTAG]#0024[/HASHTAG]. Did a long rock crawl today climbing over 1,000 feet with 28 inch tires. I used low range a lot and watched the tach. In manual mode low range when I'm in 2nd gear it will downshift automatically when the rpm drops to just under 2,000 rpm to prevent clutch slipping and damage. Since I'm using larger tires I always keep the rpm above 2,500 to prevent clutch slipping. That's above 3 mph in Low range 1st gear. 27 inch tires would be more forgiving. I recommend keeping the rpm above 2,500 for the best clutch life. I know a lot of the guys just hate belt drive like me and I think the Pioneer 1000 would be ok with 28 inch tires. With larger then 28 inch tires its going to be difficult to keep the rpm up above 2,500 in the super low speed driving. Also the 30 inch tires and larger will slip the clutch a lot more in deep mud before you get moving to around 5 mph and above. The engine has the power everyone has been asking for but the gearing is just too high for large tires and extreme low speed riding. I hope Honda will have a much lower low range and also the reverse gear on future models. My trans is still shifting perfect. There may be a clutch problem but some failures are from large tires or inching up a long hill especially in reverse.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Got 2,096 miles on mine. Its frame [HASHTAG]#0024[/HASHTAG]. Did a long rock crawl today climbing over 1,000 feet with 28 inch tires. I used low range a lot and watched the tach. In manual mode low range when I'm in 2nd gear it will downshift automatically when the rpm drops to just under 2,000 rpm to prevent clutch slipping and damage. Since I'm using larger tires I always keep the rpm above 2,500 to prevent clutch slipping. That's above 3 mph in Low range 1st gear. 27 inch tires would be more forgiving. I recommend keeping the rpm above 2,500 for the best clutch life. I know a lot of the guys just hate belt drive like me and I think the Pioneer 1000 would be ok with 28 inch tires. With larger then 28 inch tires its going to be difficult to keep the rpm up above 2,500 in the super low speed driving. Also the 30 inch tires and larger will slip the clutch a lot more in deep mud before you get moving to around 5 mph and above. The engine has the power everyone has been asking for but the gearing is just too high for large tires and extreme low speed riding. I hope Honda will have a much lower low range and also the reverse gear on future models. My trans is still shifting perfect. There may be a clutch problem but some failures are from large tires or inching up a long hill especially in reverse.
That is good information, and nice to hear about a decent number of miles with no problem! I was particularly interested because I have frame number 000021! Hopefully we got ones that were put together SLOWLY!!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I looked at the shop manual today. This transmission has 35 failure codes so I would think if there was a major problem some would have a failure code. There may be something like a damaged O-ring or some other assembly problem. We know big heavy tires have caused some failures and inching along especially in reverse. Some dealers have installed large tires and we all know that is harder on any trans. On my belt drive UTV's I always kept the original tire size. Going up one size is probably not going to cause a problem. It sucks for the guys having a clutch failure but Honda will probably warranty them even if its driver abuse. It looks like many may be in the South. The Southern rock gully climbing events abuse the RZR models in a Big Way and I expect the Honda Sport Models will get the same hard use. I would think Honda would do some Sport model test in some of those locations.

Reactions: JACKAL
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Knock on wood....I've ridden most of my miles with stock tires but I've also put quite a bit of miles with the heavy 30" Roctanes and the clutches seem to hook up hard and pin me back into the seat. I sure hope it will continue to stay this way.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Knock on wood....I've ridden most of my miles with stock tires but I've also put quite a bit of miles with the heavy 30" Roctanes and the clutches seem to hook up hard and pin me back into the seat. I sure hope it will continue to stay this way.

Oddly enough from my experience the more spirited you drive it the better it goes. I'm more incline to believe it is an issue with lower oil pressure and lower put put speed RPM's coupled with how the sensors read the throttle position or any number of the other dozen plus readings it takes to determine when and how long to shift. I don't believe there is a mechanical weakness of the clutch itself, the issue in my humble opinion could possible be solved with a firmer shifting programming and a DCT oil line pressure making it shift like it does under a more spirited driving style. I guess we will see what shakes out in the long run, but from the way mine takes off (with authority and firm solid shifting) when you stomp it isn't the clutch slipping from weakness it's electric /hydraulic system that shifting it introducing the conditions to slip.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
That would certainly make sense, and would explain the multiple different issues that seem to be effecting the clutches. The nice thought on that is a simple reflash of the computer would address the issue...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!