P1000 Tires don't line up

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought this 1000 and have not even driven it yet. I was in the garage and noticed that the front right tire is way off line. I tried to get some good pictures so that you could see compared to the front left. Has anybody seen this? Do you know what it could be? When you buy one, doesn't the dealer but the rims and tires on?

Front left
IMG 0359
Front right
IMG 0360
Front left
IMG 0362
Front right
IMG 0363

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Mine was the same way when I brought it home. Had to remove the steering wheel and line it up with the wheels centered. I think it's been fairly common for people around here. It's easy, pop the center cap off the steering wheel, removed the nut, and move the wheel whichever direction it needs to be centered.

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was the same way when I brought it home. Had to remove the steering wheel and line it up with the wheels centered. I think it's been fairly common for people around here. It's easy, pop the center cap off the steering wheel, removed the nut, and move the wheel whichever direction it needs to be centered.
When the front left tire is straight, the steering wheel is perfect, it's just the front right tire that is crooked.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Not sure what the exact alignment specs are, but some toe out is needed. Mine is toed out and tracks solid in all terrain.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tons of info on here about this problem. The dealers are being lazy and not aligning them. Read the posts, then decide how you want to procede. Most have done the toe in adjustment themselves. Pretty sure you want 3/16 toe in... or the same as an 02 Honda Civic.

@CumminsPusher ... can you verify my info?

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tons of info on here about this problem. The dealers are being lazy and not aligning them. Read the posts, then decide how you want to procede. Most have done the toe in adjustment themselves. Pretty sure you want 3/16 toe in... or the same as an 02 Honda Civic.

Yeah, since I posted I read some on it. I posted in frustration. So I see everyone is talking about doing it yourself. Do you know of a thread that has pictures and directions? I have found some threads with directions but I really like pictures so I know what I'm doing. I looked on the inside of the tire and there is a silver rod with threads showing that has what looks like a orange torque stripe showing. I think that's it. It has three threads showing on each side.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Dang, hopefully I didn't give bad gouge. I always thought toe out was preferred for slower, heavier 4x4 applications? Toe in for higher speed sport stuff. But I drive like a grandma, and tire wear doesn't seem abnormal.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealers say toe out. I'm no expert, and mine was good on delivery. The people on here that know their stuff say toe in for better handling. I defer to them.

advertisement
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have heard many different settings from 3/4 out to 3/4 in what I have found that works the best for me is 1/8 In

Reactions: AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Yes correct that'll do great

Reactions: pct and AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dang, hopefully I didn't give bad gouge. I always thought toe out was preferred for slower, heavier 4x4 applications? Toe in for higher speed sport stuff. But I drive like a grandma, and tire wear doesn't seem abnormal.
Slight tow in on everything does well

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

I think you are correct.
Tow out is for hard core off road driving, if you are drive along the side of a hill in technical stuff trying to keep your front end from sliding down you want both tires clawing for up.

Tow in is for trail/street driving
my $.02 worth

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you are correct.
Tow out is for hard core off road driving, if you are drive along the side of a hill in technical stuff trying to keep your front end from sliding down you want both tires clawing for up.

Tow in is for trail/street driving
my $.02 worth
Huh?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!