TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy Guys.
Here's the pic I posted in my 'Introduction' thread when the Squirrel was 1 day old and dead stock:

20200710 171557 resized 1

Started getting things together for some upgrades, spent a LOT of time studying ya'll's experiences and advice here, and off we go...

First up was a 2nd battery set up with the True Dual meter set. Pretty straight-forward installation. I went ahead and mounted the Stinger that will be used in the
near future as I do the panel/fuse box/ relay set install. As you can see, I've tucked everything in tight to save some real estate as the electrical system grows. Air box cover removed for the pic.
20200728 200305 resized

My wife found this awesome graphic for the hood. I really like the way it kinds of blends with the camo scheme. Hot Titty Pink would have been a bit much.
20200728 200454 resized

I really agonized over this bumper. I liked the way it looked & provided a lot of coverage, but I didn't like the way the winch is buried. It was this or the Tough Country,
and obviously I went with this one, at the end of the day I traded winch access for the lower cost of the Wild Boar and the fact that it just looks so friggen' good on my machine. If the winch placement becomes an issue, I *think* I might be able to just move it to the upper deck of the bumper. I'll have to measure the potential mounting area and guesstimate the strength of the bumper to support the winch forces, but right now I don't really know if it will come to that, time will tell. Buried in there somewhere is a Warn Axon 4500.
20200730 153412 resized

I remember seeing a thread here about bumpers, and somebody asked to see a 'side shot' of the Wild Boar bumper installation. Here it is.
20200730 153425 resized

OK, so next up will be vent line extension tomorrow, and I'm waiting on the delivery of my BCF V2 rack from Moses, which should be here any day.

I've already installed some little doo-dads including some 'deep' cup holders for all 4 doors, a set of mirrors (3), some passenger grab handles that came free with my mirror set, and a nice little $20 LED strap-on dome light that really works! I added the aviation-grade fire extinguisher from my (ex) Grumman Cheetah, and put together a tool & flat tire repair basic setup that fits under the front seat space. Removed the front nets, left rears on. I have obviously also installed a Honda OEM roof and the Super ATV Flip-Up hard coated W/S, both on recommendations I read here. So ends Phase 1.

Phase 2 is underway, I have my LED light bars on order, as well as a bunch of wiring and terminations that I will need to do the remaining electrical work. Basically, I'm going to install all of the electrical accessories that I've identified so far so I'll have a better idea of my eventual switch plate layout. I have a set of different size Duetsch connector halves and terminations, I will separate the switch plate from the underhood wiring with a couple of these so that I can do the install and isolation/continuity testing on each and then hook them up with a fair expectation of success. It will also allow me to troubleshoot and do upgrades a bit easier if required.

The 3rd Phase (and the one that most of y'all think that us newbies should do FIRST, sorry!) will be installation of the Trail Armor skid plate & arm guards. Once I wear out the stock tire set I'll start thinking about new tires /wheels/ shocks. I'm having to run a budget on all this stuff, and most importantly I have to be careful to keep time available for the most important event of the year, SQUIRREL SEASON!

20200812 180906 resized

I'll post updates as the electrical system install progresses, and I promise I'll have a LOT of questions for the members here as I get into it a bit deeper. Thanks so much for all of the help you've provided so far!

Take Care,
Tom

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy Guys.
Here's the pic I posted in my 'Introduction' thread when the Squirrel was 1 day old and dead stock:

View attachment 218260

Started getting things together for some upgrades, spent a LOT of time studying ya'll's experiences and advice here, and off we go...

First up was a 2nd battery set up with the True Dual meter set. Pretty straight-forward installation. I went ahead and mounted the Stinger that will be used in the
near future as I do the panel/fuse box/ relay set install. As you can see, I've tucked everything in tight to save some real estate as the electrical system grows. Air box cover removed for the pic.
View attachment 218261

My wife found this awesome graphic for the hood. I really like the way it kinds of blends with the camo scheme. Hot Titty Pink would have been a bit much.
View attachment 218263

I really agonized over this bumper. I liked the way it looked & provided a lot of coverage, but I didn't like the way the winch is buried. It was this or the Tough Country,
and obviously I went with this one, at the end of the day I traded winch access for the lower cost of the Wild Boar and the fact that it just looks so friggen' good on my machine. If the winch placement becomes an issue, I *think* I might be able to just move it to the upper deck of the bumper. I'll have to measure the potential mounting area and guesstimate the strength of the bumper to support the winch forces, but right now I don't really know if it will come to that, time will tell. Buried in there somewhere is a Warn Axon 4500.
View attachment 218264

I remember seeing a thread here about bumpers, and somebody asked to see a 'side shot' of the Wild Boar bumper installation. Here it is.
View attachment 218265

OK, so next up will be vent line extension tomorrow, and I'm waiting on the delivery of my BCF V2 rack from Moses, which should be here any day.

I've already installed some little doo-dads including some 'deep' cup holders for all 4 doors, a set of mirrors (3), some passenger grab handles that came free with my mirror set, and a nice little $20 LED strap-on dome light that really works! I added the aviation-grade fire extinguisher from my (ex) Grumman Cheetah, and put together a tool & flat tire repair basic setup that fits under the front seat space. Removed the front nets, left rears on. I have obviously also installed a Honda OEM roof and the Super ATV Flip-Up hard coated W/S, both on recommendations I read here. So ends Phase 1.

Phase 2 is underway, I have my LED light bars on order, as well as a bunch of wiring and terminations that I will need to do the remaining electrical work. Basically, I'm going to install all of the electrical accessories that I've identified so far so I'll have a better idea of my eventual switch plate layout. I have a set of different size Duetsch connector halves and terminations, I will separate the switch plate from the underhood wiring with a couple of these so that I can do the install and isolation/continuity testing on each and then hook them up with a fair expectation of success. It will also allow me to troubleshoot and do upgrades a bit easier if required.

The 3rd Phase (and the one that most of y'all think that us newbies should do FIRST, sorry!) will be installation of the Trail Armor skid plate & arm guards. Once I wear out the stock tire set I'll start thinking about new tires /wheels/ shocks. I'm having to run a budget on all this stuff, and most importantly I have to be careful to keep time available for the most important event of the year, SQUIRREL SEASON!

View attachment 218270

I'll post updates as the electrical system install progresses, and I promise I'll have a LOT of questions for the members here as I get into it a bit deeper. Thanks so much for all of the help you've provided so far!

Take Care,
Tom
Welcome to the club from Mississippi, looking at your avatar are you into rocketry?

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club from Mississippi, looking at your avatar are you into rocketry?

Howdy Mopower!

Not really into 'rocketry' so much, if you mean those little Estes kits and such, although I did put together and launch a few of those with my son when he was little.

Basically, all I've done as a career is be a rocket guy. I started out with Poseidon C-3 and Trident I C-4 SLBMs in the Navy, got out after my six year stint and landed a job as an electrical tech with Martin Marietta Titan Launch Operations. During my 20 years on the Titan program I was involved with Titan 34D, Commercial Titan III, and Titan IV A&B launches, primarily from Complexes 40 & 41 at Cape Canaveral, and several launches at Vandenberg SLC 4 E&W on TDY assignments. While on Titan, I went back to school and received my degree in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle, got promoted, and ended up with 11 years as Lead Electrical Engineer for Launch Operations at the Cape. Best friggen job in the world, second only to maybe a State Cathouse Inspector for Nevada! Hence the 'Titan Tom'.

We flew out the last Titan from the Cape on April 30, 2005, and the last one from Vandenberg on October 19th of the same year. Here's a pic of me pushing the 'Resume Countdown' and 'Launch' pushbuttons for the last Cape launch, Titan 4B-30. If you look close, you can see the rocket on the pad (CX 40) in the monitors in the upper right:

Picture1

Back in '95 we had merged with Lockheed, so when Titan was gone in '05 I was transferred to Lockheed's (by now Lockheed-Martin's) Fleet Ballistic Missile program, which I had worked on as a Pup back in my Navy days, and I spent the last 10 years of my career there working as an Electronic Design Engineering Manager for Trident II D-5 test & support equipment, a job that I always thought I REALLY sucked at, and one I couldn't wait to get away from once I hit the 30-year retirement time. After retirement, I did an 18-month consulting gig on the NASA SLS/Orion Mobile Launcher #1 electrical installation. Now I'm completely done, I've retired to NE Tennessee, and I'm gonna raise a few chickens and enjoy my new Honda Pioneer.

I really like how two more Deluxe Camos have been posted here! Keep 'em coming!

Tom

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy Mopower!

Not really into 'rocketry' so much, if you mean those little Estes kits and such, although I did put together and launch a few of those with my son when he was little.

Basically, all I've done as a career is be a rocket guy. I started out with Poseidon C-3 and Trident I C-4 SLBMs in the Navy, got out after my six year stint and landed a job as an electrical tech with Martin Marietta Titan Launch Operations. During my 20 years on the Titan program I was involved with Titan 34D, Commercial Titan III, and Titan IV A&B launches, primarily from Complexes 40 & 41 at Cape Canaveral, and several launches at Vandenberg SLC 4 E&W on TDY assignments. While on Titan, I went back to school and received my degree in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle, got promoted, and ended up with 11 years as Lead Electrical Engineer for Launch Operations at the Cape. Best friggen job in the world, second only to maybe a State Cathouse Inspector for Nevada! Hence the 'Titan Tom'.

We flew out the last Titan from the Cape on April 30, 2005, and the last one from Vandenberg on October 15th of the same year. Here's a pic of me pushing the 'Resume Countdown' and 'Launch' pushbuttons for the last Cape launch, Titan 4B-30. If you look close, you can see the rocket on the pad (CX 40) in the monitors in the upper right:

View attachment 218344

Back in '95 we had merged with Lockheed, so when Titan was gone in '05 I was transferred to Lockheed's (by now Lockheed-Martin's) Fleet Ballistic Missile program, which I had worked on as a Pup back in my Navy days, and I spent the last 10 years of my career there working as an Electronic Design Engineering Manager for Trident II D-5 test & support equipment, a job that I always thought I REALLY sucked at, and one I couldn't wait to get away from once I hit the 30-year retirement time. After retirement, I did an 18-month consulting gig on the NASA SLS/Orion Mobile Launcher #1 electrical installation. Now I'm completely done, I've retired to NE Tennessee, and I'm gonna raise a few chickens and enjoy my new Honda Pioneer.

Tom
Not all careers involve rocket science, but yours sure the hell did. 👏 👏 👏 👏

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy Mopower!

We flew out the last Titan from the Cape on April 30, 2005, and the last one from Vandenberg on October 19th of the same year. Here's a pic of me pushing the 'Resume Countdown' and 'Launch' pushbuttons for the last Cape launch, Titan 4B-30. If you look close, you can see the rocket on the pad (CX 40) in the monitors in the upper right:

View attachment 218344

Tom
The reason I asked about rocketry is my son-n-law and daughter both graduated from Ms State. My son-nlaw graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering eventually getting his masters. He was instrumental in starting up the Space Cowboys at State and our daughter was outreach director. She has achieved Level II and he has achieved Level III status I believe. He started work at GE in Batesville Ms. working on carbon fiber parts. He then went to Iuka,ms. and is now back in Starkville,Ms. engineering on a type of plane. Great pic of you "in action"!
IMG 2358
IMG 2353

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, Mopower, that's impressive! I'd bet dollars to donuts they know more about pure 'Rocket Science' than I do!

I did have one slight advantage, however, and that was access to a HUGE budget, large even for the Ronald Reagan/ Bush 1 days! When Clinton came along we did have to tighten it up a bit, though. Obamalamadingdong came along while I was working FBM, and that got downright TOUGH.

Launching those bigger models that your daughter and SIL use can get really expensive! Hats off to them for their dedication and enthusiasm!

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow, Mopower, that's impressive! I'd bet dollars to donuts they know more about pure 'Rocket Science' than I do!

I did have one slight advantage, however, and that was access to a HUGE budget, large even for the Ronald Reagan/ Bush 1 days! When Clinton came along we did have to tighten it up a bit, though. Obamalamadingdong came along while I was working FBM, and that got downright TOUGH.

Launching those bigger models that your daughter and SIL use can get really expensive! Hats off to them for their dedication and enthusiasm!
Thank you for what you do and your sxs looks great!

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've spent the weekend building up a relay/fuse box and wiring up my switch panel. I've already installed all of my electrical accessories, including a front led light bar, Boss stereo, Warn winch, aux battery, True isolator, Stinger, rear led lights, and my new front bumper has cube leds. I'm still looking for a rear bumper with cubes, and my pillar lights aren't here yet. It was time to start on the relay box and get the switch panel all wired up.

Yesterday I hooked up the dual DVM to make sure that the isolator / Stinger / 2nd battery played well together, so I could correct any issues before I jumped off with the rest. Everything worked fine, tested with engine both off and running, it was great to hear the Stinger relay click when the ign sw was turned on. I used the ign on harness I purchased right here on the site. You'll notice that I've stuck the upper square air filter into the lower intake. This is a good idea if you are fiddling with terminal hardware or other little bits over the open intake, Ask me how I know...
20200912 115833

I built up the relay / fuse box first, using a Cooper Bussman copy from the Online LED Light Store, which is a gen-u-wine POS, AND NOT RECOMMENDED. The box itself was fine, and the relays purchased from the same source seem ok, but the included fuse holder and relay terminations SUCKED. They simply refused to hold wire, no matter how much crimping pressure was applied. I was lucky enough to have a few spares on hand, and made due with the rest, but I had to constantly repeat continuity testing until all of the turds were weeded out. This POS cost me hours of lost time troubleshooting, taking apart, and repairing. If you are going to build your own box, buy real-deal Cooper-Bussman. I thought that's what I was doing, and after all the trouble I investigated what I really bought, and it seems that it came from the People's Republic of Chitty electrical stuff.
20200912 163205

This friggen wire. After I thought I was done, I decided to run ONE MORE continuity check, and found an open in one of the circuits, and after disassembling the relay box once again, I finally ran it down to this wire. I closely inspected both terminations, both were fine & tight, conductor showed through the witness hole in the barrel termination, and the relay termination showed a goodly amount of properly smoothed conductor right where it belonged. The open was in the wire between the contacts. Go figure. This makes a great case for conducting isolation and continuity testing as you go.
20200913 165246

Once the relay box was done, I went to work on the switch panel, starting with cutting that big honkin' hole in the dash where it says I can't have a cold one while on the trails, and other useless admonishments.
20200913 114228

For my panel, I used OTRATTW switches and a PBR switch panel. I have two more switches coming to finish it up, but I went ahead and completed the wiring terminations for all. The other hole gets an input for a 3.5mm audio input and a flash drive. You can also see that I added an awesome graphic.

20200913 165747

I decided to use Deutsch connectors to kind of 'modularize' the install.

20200913 200041

20200913 200930

It's a good thing my wife is down in Florida, she would sh!t herself if she saw the kitchen island!
20200913 201948

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I highly recommend bullet type connectors. They have a double crimp in which both the wire and insulation are crimped separately.

Bullet Type Crimps

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ,
I am actually using bullet connectors, just not exclusively. They will be used for the wire runs to the accessories. I agree that they are easy to use and pretty much (caution pun ahead) bulletproof.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!