Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I really hope you do:) I know you're use to others but your pk1 is an incredible machine. Still hope to ride with ya soon. Get in touch anytime please.

Reactions: sharp
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I went from a RZR, to a P500, to a Wolverine, now to the P1000.
I've been riding Rhinos since '03 and currently own four of them (three 700s and one 450). Over the years I've had a great relationship with Yamaha and was in-fact featured on their magazine cover that they publish in Japan (I did not make the English print because I didn't have a picture in which I was wearing a helmet):

Scan0016
Those trail pictures were also taken at the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range just south of Billings. I also currently own a '14 Teryx4 that I'm very happy with and was a part of the Teryx project as well from the initial release in '07 (as an '08). I owned a RZR for a very short time but it spent more time in the shop than it did on the trail. I've done consulting work with every OEM except for Honda and Can Am and have seen almost every design available today when it was still in prototype phase (and directly contributed to make some designs better than they were) so I'm not at all new to SxSs.

...but this Pioneer is a different beast. I've offered critiques, reviews and feedback on so many designs over the years that one of my motivating factors in buying the Pioneer was just the fact that it was so different. I genuinely want to embrace this beast but the transmission is going to have to win me over. I do look forward to giving it the opportunity to wear in and do whatever it needs to do to smooth out.

Thanks much for your input. I am curious what you didn't like about the Wolverine? I was pumped by the prototypes but as with so many other designs, the designers create an incredible machine and then the lawyers and the bean-counters neuter it before it ever sees production. I thought certain that I would own a Wolverine after production but what we got was essentially a less workable Rhino. I just couldn't see giving up my '13 SE Rhino for essentially the same machine without a dump bed that was even smaller and I couldn't see what I could do in the Wolverine that I couldn't do in my Rhino.

...that said, should they stuff a v-twin in the Wolverine, that will be enough for me to buy another machine. I don't understand why Yamaha is clinging to the single cylinder 700 when the market trend is clearly moving toward more power. The Rhino lawsuits cost Yamaha dearly but they never lost a suit and established precedent so we were all surprised when they stuck with the 700 class.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
The Wolverine will have much better seats, storage, and suspension.
Any idea how the rear auto level shocks work, and will the system still work if I replace the shocks with reservoir type?

The Yamaha has the best belt drive
Agreed!

Nice bucket seats
Is this an option/upgrade for the Pioneer?

Polaris has way too many design and assembly problems
My RZR literally spent more time in the shop than it ever did on the trail. Never again.[/quote]

Reactions: CumminsPusher
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I use 2wd when aggressive driving now. The turf mode doesn't turn it into a true open diff. Its really a semi open diff.
Should I be concerned about damage from my son spinning up a rooster tail in turf mode? He only did it once and after I got his attention, he will never do it again.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been riding Rhinos since '03 and currently own four of them (three 700s and one 450). Over the years I've had a great relationship with Yamaha and was in-fact featured on their magazine cover that they publish in Japan (I did not make the English print because I didn't have a picture in which I was wearing a helmet):

View attachment 17725
Those trail pictures were also taken at the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range just south of Billings. I also currently own a '14 Teryx4 that I'm very happy with and was a part of the Teryx project as well from the initial release in '07 (as an '08). I owned a RZR for a very short time but it spent more time in the shop than it did on the trail. I've done consulting work with every OEM except for Honda and Can Am and have seen almost every design available today when it was still in prototype phase (and directly contributed to make some designs better than they were) so I'm not at all new to SxSs.

...but this Pioneer is a different beast. I've offered critiques, reviews and feedback on so many designs over the years that one of my motivating factors in buying the Pioneer was just the fact that it was so different. I genuinely want to embrace this beast but the transmission is going to have to win me over. I do look forward to giving it the opportunity to wear in and do whatever it needs to do to smooth out.

Thanks much for your input. I am curious what you didn't like about the Wolverine? I was pumped by the prototypes but as with so many other designs, the designers create an incredible machine and then the lawyers and the bean-counters neuter it before it ever sees production. I thought certain that I would own a Wolverine after production but what we got was essentially a less workable Rhino. I just couldn't see giving up my '13 SE Rhino for essentially the same machine without a dump bed that was even smaller and I couldn't see what I could do in the Wolverine that I couldn't do in my Rhino.

...that said, should they stuff a v-twin in the Wolverine, that will be enough for me to buy another machine. I don't understand why Yamaha is clinging to the single cylinder 700 when the market trend is clearly moving toward more power. The Rhino lawsuits cost Yamaha dearly but they never lost a suit and established precedent so we were all surprised when they stuck with the 700 class.
10-4.
I liked the Wolverine, just did not suit my current needs. Love the P1000, liked the Wolvy -- Pretty much sums it up.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Should I be concerned about damage from my son spinning up a rooster tail in turf mode? He only did it once and after I got his attention, he will never do it again.
I don't think it will damage it. I just noticed the clicking when roosting the tires. Didn't sound good. Similar to the clutch in a cordless drill.

advertisement
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
First of all , if he was in low driving that fast, that's just plain lame. He should have used high and turf mode. Nothing ion that trail would require any more.
you can use turf and sport at the same time learn how to us your machine

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had responded earlier that I spent the majority of my riding time in turf mode. After reading that your machine was making some bad noises when pushing it hard and spinning your wheels, I figured I would see for myself. Last night, I did a bit of spinning out in turf mode. I was in dirt but I had no unusual or disconcerting sounds from the drive train. For the record, I did this both straight line and while cornering. That said, I feel that my machine is broken in at 400 or so miles. Just saying as a point of reference.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
talking about not finding which gear it needs in auto for technical stuff is kind of a silly argument. you have an on the fly automatic manual transmission. if your going through a technical..... why.... in the world... are you in automatic?
I've been a competitive rock crawler for over 20+ years (started with Jeeps, then ATVs, then SxSs). I've never won anything worthy of mention, but I've always been competitive and ridden to win. Other than the old days when automatics were rare in Jeeps, I don't know of anyone utilizing a manual transmission when rock crawling, certainly nobody that wins. The overwhelming majority of serious competitors (particularly those who win) are running CVT (in SxSs) or Turbo 350/400 (or current production automatics in Jeeps). Third place finisher in King of the Hammers was a completely stock Kawasaki Teryx. Whereas you see it silly to run an automatic in technical areas, I wouldn't ever choose a manual. The closest I've seen is a pneumatic shifter on an automatic for an on-demand downshift which is indeed similar to what the Honda paddles offer.

changing the oil turned the slightly quieter clicks and pops from shifting literally into non existant things of the past.
Thanks much for the advice; I'll evaluate again after my oil changes and more mileage.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I just took my Honda out for a quick drive across town (we can license for street use, here) and noticed something I've never before noticed. There is a distinct "click" a split-second prior to each gear shift. I'm confident it's some type of shift solenoid (I don't really understand yet how the DCT operates) but I don't know if I should be able to hear it? Just odd that I never before noticed it.
Thanks,

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just took my Honda out for a quick drive across town (we can license for street use, here) and noticed something I've never before noticed. There is a distinct "click" a split-second prior to each gear shift. I'm confident it's some type of shift solenoid (I don't really understand yet how the DCT operates) but I don't know if I should be able to hear it? Just odd that I never before noticed it.
Thanks,

That is a normal sound. I know what sound you're talking about. You hear the solenoid and then the gear shifts.

Reactions: sharp
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been a competitive rock crawler for over 20+ years (started with Jeeps, then ATVs, then SxSs). I've never won anything worthy of mention, but I've always been competitive and ridden to win. Other than the old days when automatics were rare in Jeeps, I don't know of anyone utilizing a manual transmission when rock crawling, certainly nobody that wins. The overwhelming majority of serious competitors (particularly those who win) are running CVT (in SxSs) or Turbo 350/400 (or current production automatics in Jeeps). Third place finisher in King of the Hammers was a completely stock Kawasaki Teryx. Whereas you see it silly to run an automatic in technical areas, I wouldn't ever choose a manual. The closest I've seen is a pneumatic shifter on an automatic for an on-demand downshift which is indeed similar to what the Honda paddles offer.

Thanks much for the advice; I'll evaluate again after my oil changes and more mileage.

Different things. I don't do technicals, I was talking more like tricky trails in the Bush. I'm in Alaska, and I promise a manual transmission is bullet proof. I understand feathering a clutch sucks hard.

I was just saying the manual mode is similar to a regular automatic transmission. You can set it in first gear. And leave it. That's what we do in our buggies. It's never in drive. Why do that when you can control your shifts and power.

I'm not into competition, we get through nasty stuff to go shoot stuff. So reliability is much more important than time or however those comp are judged.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had responded earlier that I spent the majority of my riding time in turf mode. After reading that your machine was making some bad noises when pushing it hard and spinning your wheels, I figured I would see for myself. Last night, I did a bit of spinning out in turf mode. I was in dirt but I had no unusual or disconcerting sounds from the drive train. For the record, I did this both straight line and while cornering. That said, I feel that my machine is broken in at 400 or so miles. Just saying as a point of reference.
I was trying to replicate it and couldn't, so Im assumingit was one of 2 things, either it was the wood on the bridge I was red lined in 3rd or 4th gear not moving because of the spinning or it could of been not all the way in turf. I'm assuming it was the first because I've done some nice burn outs and drifting yesterday and no noise and I was in turf.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
we get through nasty stuff to go shoot stuff.
Now that sounds like a good ride!

reliability is much more important than time or however those comp are judged.
Agreed fully. I was unintentionally misleading in an earlier response. I don't compete anymore as I haven't the time for it and ride strictly for recreation and hunting now. Depending on where we are riding, we will be at least 50+ miles away from where we left the trucks.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Now that sounds like a good ride!

Agreed fully. I was unintentionally misleading in an earlier response. I don't compete anymore as I haven't the time for it and ride strictly for recreation and hunting now. Depending on where we are riding, we will be at least 50+ miles away from where we left the trucks.

coming from a polaris, i can really only say 3 things.

1. this thing is a monster power house.
2. i like polaris' AWD system a little better.
3. I like this machine better than polaris' rig. the only thing polaris has going for it is the on demand awd system. they break, underpowered, low to the ground, expensive, and my local dealers are terrible assholes. my polaris had a clutch installed incorrectly by factory, and the dealer lady kept saying that i "smoked" my belt when i was loading it because i kicked my ramps.... like if thats all it takes to smoke a belt is kicking the ramps and having the back end floating off the trailer 8 inches, then maybe polaris aint my gig? just went in after i sold my ranger to look at the general, and she still said i smoked my belt and wouldnt acknowledge that i had a warranty item (even after they warrantied it out lol). i walked into honda and bought this the same day.

i would be lying if i told you i didnt consider can am though.

as far as reliability, im not sure your going to beat the honda. throw a few hundred miles on it and try and forget the break in.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
advertisement