P1000 To keep or not to keep - value?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I've owned my P1000-5D for about three months and was finally able to take it out on a real trail to test it. I've ridden it a little around my ranch but there really isn't anything out there that requires four wheel drive so I haven't previously been able to test it fully.

Pryor
I loaded up and headed down to my favorite place on earth, the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range where the roughly 75 miles of official trails and another 300 miles of unofficial (private) trails provide a great opportunity to test both driver skills as well as machine capability.

The scenery up here is always amazing and despite a reluctance to let out some of Montana's best kept secrets, I plan to set up an organized ride later this year. I typically come up here at least five or six times a year and will in fact return in two weeks to scatter my mother's ashes at Penn's Cabin pictured below.

Notice the strong and proud ram only has three legs. I'm betting the wolf or cougar that took the other leg took quite a beating for him to be able to escape on only three legs.

I began the ride with optimism and enthusiasm; I would finally get to test out my P1K-5D and hopefully fall head over heels in love with it. Sadly it just didn't do enough to win me over.

I'll always give credit where due and there are many aspects of this machine that I absolutely love. The power-band is more than I can ever imagine needing and it's rare that I say that about any machine. As before, I just never found myself wanting more power. Bottom, middle and top the power was always impressive. Steering is very easy and precise and despite the weight of the machine I just didn't find that it pushed into corners. The suspension articulation is first class and has clearly been very well engineered. Engine braking is outstanding on this machine, especially with the ability to adjust how much you want with the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters are an excellent addition to the machine; more on that later. I continue to believe that this is the most refined machine in existence.

Sadly, I found that the gauge should be recessed into some type of pod so that you can actually read in in sunlight, the heat issue from the seat is real (I could warm up my lunch on it), and my Go Pro mounted on the roll-cage vibrated more so than on any other machine I own or have owned. I just couldn't get the video to stabilize from the vibrations and will have to research adding some type of vibration eliminator (rubber strips?) to the roll cage mount. The shocks on this machine are very poor. I've been riding these same trails for well over a decade on every machine I've ever owned but I've never felt so beaten up and worn out as I did after riding them in the Pioneer. I think that replacing them with some quality reservoir shocks (what would that do for the rear auto-level?) would go a long way toward fixing this. The side netting will be removed before I ever take this machine out again as all it did was clutter up an otherwise awesome view.

I only found one aspect of the machine unforgivable: the transmission. This DCT might be an excellent choice for trails that aren't constantly varying in elevation and terrain, but for any type of challenging rock crawling I found that it just cannot figure out the right gear it needs to be in. I continually found myself wanting either more or less gear and grew quite frustrated until remembering that I had the option of using the paddle shifters. The paddles seemed silly to me initially, but I now see why adding them was genius; it's because the auto cannot seem to figure out the appropriate gear (at least when rock crawling). I tried the same challenges with every selectable mode. Low range sport mode seemed to help a lot, but ultimately I had to run it in manual mode to maximize performance. The trouble with this however is that I want to focus on choosing the right line; I don't want to focus on being in the right gear. My only initial concern when I bought this machine was how well it would perform compared to a good (anything except Polaris) CVT transmission and this weekend I got my answer.

At one point I started into a long and steep climb (low range, auto/sport mode) and the machine never shifted out of 1st. The RPMs climbed nearly to redline before I backed off and as soon as I backed off it shifted hard into 2nd with an awful noise. I don't know what that was about and attempted to recreate it so that I could record it but it seemed to function just fine after that.

(Fast forward about a minute into it)
This is a sample video that only shows a small portion of the trails (sorry, Go Pro batteries last about 20 minutes but I do have some phone video I can add later) but it does demonstrate the vibrations, the pounding and also some of the odd noises the machine makes. Around 1.5 minutes into the video you can really hear the vibrations and odd noises (it sounds like a loose nut flopping around in the differential). I wish I had reserved one of the batteries for the more challenging sections of trail.

At this point I already know that the DCT transmission is not for me and I'm going back to CVT (anybody except Polaris, but likely just back to my old Rhino). I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Honda in hopes that my feelings will change over time, reserving it for ranch type work or cutting my losses and selling it.

If I do decide to sell it, what is a 2016 P1K-5D with 75 miles worth? This is my first Honda SxS and I've always heard how great the resell value is but don't know where to begin on pricing it? Aside from light brush marks on the roll-cage, you cannot distinguish it from a new unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gem99Ultra
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think you need to give more of a chance. I tell everyone that asks me that it may take a bit to get used to if you're used to running a cvt. Give it more time and you will get used to it and the machine will be more broken in and the tranny will work better for your purposes as you go I believe.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Put it back in High. I didn't see anywhere on that climb that I'd use low range. Unless you're going slow enough to slip the clutch low kinda sucks and the shifting is weird.

Reactions: ghost
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I've owned my P1000-5D for about three months and was finally able to take it out on a real trail to test it. I've ridden it a little around my ranch but there really isn't anything out there that requires four wheel drive so I haven't previously been able to test it fully.

View attachment 17593
I loaded up and headed down to my favorite place on earth, the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range where the roughly 75 miles of official trails and another 300 miles of unofficial (private) trails provide a great opportunity to test both driver skills as well as machine capability.

View attachment 17594
View attachment 17595
View attachment 17596
The scenery up here is always amazing and despite a reluctance to let out some of Montana's best kept secrets, I plan to set up an organized ride later this year. I typically come up here at least five or six times a year and will in fact return in two weeks to scatter my mother's ashes at Penn's Cabin pictured below.

View attachment 17597
View attachment 17598
Notice the strong and proud ram only has three legs. I'm betting the wolf or cougar that took the other leg took quite a beating for him to be able to escape on only three legs.

I began the ride with optimism and enthusiasm; I would finally get to test out my P1KD-5 and hopefully fall head over heels in love with it. Sadly it just didn't do enough to win me over.

I'll always give credit where due and there are many aspects of this machine that I absolutely love. The power-band is more than I can ever imagine needing and it's rare that I say that about any machine. As before, I just never found myself wanting more power. Bottom, middle and top the power was always impressive. Steering is very easy and precise and despite the weight of the machine I just didn't find that it pushed into corners. The suspension articulation is first class and has clearly been very well engineered. Engine braking is outstanding on this machine, especially with the ability to adjust how much you want with the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters are an excellent addition to the machine; more on that later. I continue to believe that this is the most refined machine in existence.

Sadly, I found that the gauge should be recessed into some type of pod so that you can actually read in in sunlight, the heat issue from the seat is real (I could warm up my lunch on it), and my Go Pro mounted on the roll-cage vibrated more so than on any other machine I own or have owned. I just couldn't get the video to stabilize from the vibrations and will have to research adding some type of vibration eliminator (rubber strips?) to the roll cage mount. The shocks on this machine are very poor. I've been riding these same trails for well over a decade on every machine I've ever owned but I've never felt so beaten up and worn out as I did after riding them in the Pioneer. I think that replacing them with some quality reservoir shocks (what would that do for the rear auto-level?) would go a long way toward fixing this. The side netting will be removed before I ever take this machine out again as all it did was clutter up an otherwise awesome view.

I only found one aspect of the machine unforgivable: the transmission. This DCT might be an excellent choice for trails that aren't constantly varying in elevation and terrain, but for any type of challenging rock crawling I found that it just cannot figure out the right gear in needs to be in. I continually found myself wanting either more or less gear and grew quite frustrated until remembering that I had the option of using the paddle shifters. The paddles seemed silly to me initially, but I now see why adding them was genius; it's because the auto cannot seem to figure out the appropriate gear (at least when rock crawling). I tried the same challenges with every selectable mode. Low range sport mode seemed to help a lot, but ultimately I had to run it in manual mode to maximize performance. The trouble with this however is that I want to focus on choosing the right line; I don't want to focus on being in the right gear. My only initial concern when I bought this machine was how well it would perform compared to a good (anything except Polaris) CVT transmission and this weekend I got my answer.

At one point I started into a long and steep climb (low range, auto/sport mode) and the machine never shifted out of 1st. The RPMs climbed nearly to redline before I backed off and as soon as I backed off it shifted hard into 2nd with an awful noise. I don't know what that was about and attempted to recreate it so that I could record it but it seemed to function just fine after that.

(Fast forward about a minute into it)
This is a sample video that only shows a small portion of the trails (sorry, Go Pro batteries last about 20 minutes but I do have some phone video I can add later) but it does demonstrate the vibrations, the pounding and also some of the odd noises the machine makes. Around 1.5 minutes into the video you can really hear the vibrations and odd noises (it sounds like a loose nut flopping around in the differential). I wish I had reserved one of the batteries for the more challenging sections of trail.

At this point I already know that the DCT transmission is not for me and I'm going back to CVT (anybody except Polaris, but likely just back to my old Rhino). I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Honda in hopes that my feelings will change over time, reserving it for ranch type work or cutting my losses and selling it.

If I do decide to sell it, what is a 2016 P1K-5D with 75 miles worth? This is my first Honda SxS and I've always heard how great the resell value is but don't know where to begin on pricing it? Aside from light brush marks on the roll-cage, you cannot distinguish it from a new unit.

You have a really nice machine there. I don't think you've 'tested' it enough with only 75 miles on it to decide to sell/trade or ??? it. But then, that's certainly your choice. It may simply just not be the right SxS for you and your particular riding terrain.

I do think a couple of changes for not much money would make some major improvements. Getting a stabilizer for your GoPro would be a big step up. A simple shock change, and perhaps a tire pressure change, would be a major improvement. More experience with gear selection is a given.

I'd be the last person on earth to try to convince you that your machine is the best in the world, or even the best for you and your style. I have a P-500 too that I haven't learned how to drive yet. And yeah, for my use, i.e. ag use, it may not prove to be the best. But I'm going to give it and me a chance to be absolutely sure. I've traded cars before to what I "thought" was going to be an improvement, only to discover that what I had to start with was much better for my needs/wants.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I felt kind of the same way when I took my p1k out the first time. It does take some getting used to and you have to learn the machine. I see that you have 75 miles on it, give it another 200 or so to see if I changes your mind. The value will still be the same. It also quiets down a little after the first service. Now that I got a few hundred miles on mine I love it. Good luck with your findings.

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The pk1 takes a bit to "come in" I definitely like mine a lot but with that being said my new one at 95mi is waaaaay rougher then my last one at 1600mi. Where they break in will be different for everyone depending on riding styles and situations but I literally felt three huge changes in my last on. Drastically quieter and nicer shifts after first service. Quieter (and felt smoother?) after replacing diffs with heavy fluid. And then about 400 the shocks seemed to just smooth out. So much so I had to add 3$ spacers to the front after more miles to get it back. Down the road I will swap out shocks because I do agree with you on that for sure but they are livable when broke in. Every service it got better. It was smooth and quiet. I'm paying closer attention on that stuff on the new one and asking others to as well. I'd rather have a machine take a second to "work in" then one that starts off that way it kinda shows me lifespan

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
You have a really nice machine there. I don't think you've 'tested' it enough with only 75 miles on it to decide to sell/trade or ??? it. But then, that's certainly your choice. It may simply just not be the right SxS for you and your particular riding terrain.
Thanks much. I really want to love this machine but I've never had to convince myself to love a machine before. I've always either loved or hated. In this case, there is so much to love about it that I'd hate to let the transmission spoil it. I suppose I could get used to giving it more throttle to make up for needing a lower gear, but when rock crawling heavy throttle is rarely good and requires me to almost retrain myself.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Put it back in High. I didn't see anywhere on that climb that I'd use low range.
This video was just the beginning of the ride. By the time I got to the "good stuff" my batteries were long since dead. Next trip I'm drilling a hole in the camera mount case so that I can plug it in to my 12v accessory plug and not be limited by the dismal battery life.

advertisement
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I think you need to give more of a chance. I tell everyone that asks me that it may take a bit to get used to if you're used to running a cvt. Give it more time and you will get used to it and the machine will be more broken in and the tranny will work better for your purposes as you go I believe.
Thanks much; that's what I'm leaning towards.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wish I had an explanation for you but it would most likely be bulls***. All I can think is since its clutches there is probably a second it takes to wear in and maybe leaves deposits in the oil?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Drastically quieter and nicer shifts after first service.
Any ideas on why it hung in first and then slammed into second? I'm a little concerned that this is how clutches are being burned.

Quieter (and felt smoother?) after replacing diffs with heavy fluid.
Are you using fluids heavier than OEM recommendations? On all my other machines I run:

in my differentials (except for the Teryx that requires Kawasaki wet brake additives) and:

S l1000
in the engines. I don't have enough miles on the Honda to do the maintenance so I haven't even looked up what the OEM requires.

about 400 the shocks seemed to just smooth out.
What would adding reservoir shocks do to the rear auto-level system? By the time we got back I felt beaten and tired. If I keep the machine I know I'll be replacing the front shocks with reservoir shocks and the rear as well if doable but I'm not sure what all the auto-level system is about.
Thanks!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I used Lucas 75-140. As of right now I'm only using recommended gn4 for motor/trans. As for the front shocks they softened up to the point they were bottoming out and the spacers did a good job of mellowing that out

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Got a uncle who is a die hard Polaris guy. He can't get his head around driving my far superior 1000-5. I try to tell people who drive it the first time to pretend it's a full blown Manual transmission and you got a lil fairy working the clutch peddle for you. In other words give it the gas. It will figure out how you drive and adapt. Stop trying to slip it around. And do yourself a favor and at least drive it a couple hundred miles. As others have said it truly is a different machine after it breaks in. Now the seat heat. Yea it's bad. I'm going for the route a few other on here are. Getting a marine bulge air pump to suck the heat out. Only utv I have ridden that doesn't have a heat problem is a crew cab Polaris 900. And they can keep that land yacht. It's ridiculous.

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Just stick with the Honda oil. I did it's the 10w40 because of the hotter temps in my area.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I say sell the thing. Your machine doesn't sound right to me and you don't seem to know how to drive it either.
Yes the clutches break in but even when brand new did I ever experience anything like it shows in your video. This is not an automatic with a torque converter, it is a clutch vehicle that works automatically. Think of how you would drive it if you were working the clutch.
Yes, I drove a Yamaha Grizzly 660 for many years that is CVT. My question to you is have you ever driven a manual with a clutch before???

Reactions: franzw
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Any ideas on why it hung in first and then slammed into second? I'm a little concerned that this is how clutches are being burned."

Mine would do this in low range when it was new. It "learned" or whatever the hell it does, very quickly and smoothed out though.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!