P1000 To Winch or not to Winch..

Would you recommend from experience, installing a front-mounted winch on your Honda pioneer?

• Yes for sure, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Heck no, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends, and..I'll tell you why.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Removed per user request

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
4500lb at least. Warn or superwinch, both work great. And yes you need the brand specific mount.
Not much room for doubt, there. Thanks much!
I just installed the KFI 4500 stealth winch with the KFI mount, it mounts perfectly and looks very good. The setup is very nice and very user friendly and easy to install. I would recommend this set up and for the price of 405.00 shipped to the door, it is well worth the money.
Thanks CPope. From what I've seen, KFI does make it easy with all the mounts, etc in their package. That might be the ticket for Whiskey. You installed the winch on a P1K, correct?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
A few nights ago, I installed the Warn 4500S with the KFI mount. Seems ok, except that I don't like the angle of the line going from the winch to the fairlead. It may chaff the synthetic line.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
A few nights ago, I installed the Warn 4500S with the KFI mount. Seems ok, except that I don't like the angle of the line going from the winch to the fairlead. It may chaff the synthetic line.
Interesting. I would love to see a picture of that. Is the line angled downward, upward, or from the side between the two?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
The line leaves the winch, going forward and up at a near 45 degree angle, to the fairlead. The fairlead is designed with a almost perfect round lip that polished smooth, as to not chaff the synthetic line. This is on the outside only, the inside has an abrupt lip that I feel is not the best for a wear sensitive line.

Last edited:
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
The line leaves the winch, going forward and up at a near 45 degree angle, to the fairlead. The fairlead is designed with a almost perfect round lip that polished smooth, as to not chaff the synthetic line. This is on the outside only, the inside has an abrupt lip that I feel is not the best for a war sensitive line.
I agree, especially if it's under a heavy pull. I was just looking at the Warn Vantage 4000-S online when I got your message. Certainly, something to think about. Thanks again, BigRiver.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not much room for doubt, there. Thanks much!

Thanks CPope. From what I've seen, KFI does make it easy with all the mounts, etc in their package. That might be the ticket for Whiskey. You installed the winch on a P1K, correct?
Yes I will send pics of the install tomorrow

Reactions: Whiskey1
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Yes most defiantly, that one day will come. You'll be very happy you did. It also makes changing oil or working under the vehicle very nice.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For sure a winch. Dont mount it on top a bumper either when your stuck with these beasts you need to be winching up high on a tree and from down low on your sxs gets that front end coming up out of the mud.
They make different options for a reason. I will only use a top mount so I can see the rope wind on the spool. I have seen to many overload the side of the spool causing damage from being hidden behind the bumper. I stay away from deep mud!

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Ordered! Now the excitement begins..Pics are forthcoming.
*Warn LT4000, wide roller fair lead and dash rocker switch included
*KFI Snatch block
*KFI Winch Mount
*50 feet of 1/4 inch grey synthetic winch rope (6400 lbs) with 5 feet of end protection
*6-foot tree saver
*KFI rubber Winch line stopper

advertisement
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Now the fun begins!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE. I installed the first plate of the KFI mount, opened the box, and took out the winch. WARN SENT THE WRONG WINCH! ArrrHHH. The box is labeled right, but it included a Vantage 3000 winch, not Vantage 4000. Can you believe it!?
Nooooooooo! Man that's a bummer. Hope their customer service works smoothly for you.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPS picked up the wrong winch at 830pm last night, and brought the correct winch this morning. That's pretty darn fast!
That is impressive. Now get that puppy bolted up!lol

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
That is impressive. Now get that puppy bolted up!lol
The Warn Vantage is installed, with synthetic rope and a wide roller fair lead. I really enjoyed the project, but now what to do next? Here are a few pics from the project. It's hung with the KFI mount kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: PioneerPete
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Here is the control box location I selected. It's out of the way and on the same side as the winch power cables feeding from below. I used a 3/4 inch hole drill to provide access for the cables from the winch to under the hood.

Last edited:
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Cables are wired up...Note this photo doesn't show the switch wired in quite yet. As you can tell, I'm a fan of flexible wire conduit. I think it adds protection, but also gives a bit of a 'factory' look.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Image Image
Stripped the steel rope..but what do you do with it now? The 50 feet of 6,000 lb. rated synthetic line was $26.00 shipped, and thus it made more sense than ordering the Vantage with synthetic rope installed. For that, you can add over $100 and it comes without the roller fair lead.

Last edited:
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Here is the 50-foot synthetic rope wound (initially). I'll get it tighter this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!