P1000 To Winch or not to Winch..

Would you recommend from experience, installing a front-mounted winch on your Honda pioneer?

• Yes for sure, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Heck no, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends, and..I'll tell you why.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Removed per user request

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that a pipneer 1000? If so where did you order the bumper? Is it a solid bumper or a clip on? How much?
It's the 700. Ordered it online superatv I think. Costed 360 I think. It is very strong I really like the winch being mounted up top. When I get a 1000 I'll put the same bumper on it right away. Its not a clip on. If /when I get stuck it will either be in the mud or snow and it's really helpful to not have to dig for the winch.

JohnShin1984

JohnShin1984

Aug 5, 2015
Here is the 50-foot synthetic rope wound (initially). I'll get it tighter this weekend.
View attachment 9153
I'm looking at getting that same synthetic rope for my winch as you have. Was the shipping fairly quick on it or did it take some time. Amazon says it will ship in March if ordered now. Just wondering how long it took on yours. Thanks

vince

vince

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2015
vidor texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you will use it if you ride enough
Honda

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
front has always been the best for me maybe cause when I do get stuck it always seems like I ALMOST MADE IT!!! and I always have a plan on those hard lines on how to get out if I don't make it. Front or back preference I guess but front best for me. Get stuck when your out far one time by yourself and I guarantee u will never be without one again. Mine still isn't installed and I wont try hardly any hard lines when by myself just in case. Having the reese up front gives u the best of both world pull it off and put it in the back etc. Problem with that is it sticks way out and makes ground clearance and issue in situations like creek banks etc. Front is nice cause its got a home up there mounted permanent.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
The line leaves the winch, going forward and up at a near 45 degree angle, to the fairlead. The fairlead is designed with a almost perfect round lip that polished smooth, as to not chaff the synthetic line. This is on the outside only, the inside has an abrupt lip that I feel is not the best for a wear sensitive line.
couldn't you grind and polish the inner lip to be smooth like the outer portion?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I really like those lights and mounts look like they sit back a bit to give them some protection? The shackles are bad ass can u tell me where u got them.

PM me for the info on those shackles. Whiskey gave me the contact and I'll share it with you or anyone.

I still got to get mine installed.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pondering the install of a front-mounted winch, and being on the fence about it, I want to know what the great folks of SXS are thinking here. I could use the input and insight you have based on past experience, your opinion, or any comments, moans, and/or groans, etc. Much appreciated!
Hey it's a atv. Your out in the woods or whatever, you get stuck and no one around, what to do? Get real, the winch is the only thing to save your ass and get you back to camp. Get a winch, cheapest insurance there is!!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I finally had to use a winch last Friday. We encountered a large tree blocking the path, I usually carry a chainsaw but didn't that day. If we turned around, we would be out way too late with the kiddos. So, we drove down into the river and attempted to climb the bank on the other side of the tree. Neither me or my buddy in his pioneer 700 could make it. I will say that the P700 made it further up the hill than my P1000. He had 27" Evos and I had 30" Roctanes.

Here's a shot of his rig being pulled up the hill.

408b17b2053ac8fc1639de671f4cadfb

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!