P1000 To Winch or not to Winch..

Would you recommend from experience, installing a front-mounted winch on your Honda pioneer?

• Yes for sure, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Heck no, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends, and..I'll tell you why.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Removed per user request

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Pondering the install of a front-mounted winch, and being on the fence about it, I want to know what the great folks of SXS are thinking here. I could use the input and insight you have based on past experience, your opinion, or any comments, moans, and/or groans, etc. Much appreciated!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I put 700 miles on my P700 and never once used it to extract my own vehicle. Now, I hve been extracted several times by someone else's winch because I only attempt the harder lines while riding with someone else.

With that said, I have use the winch many times for other uses around my property. This vehicle can weigh 2000 pounds when loaded with accessories and occupants in the vehicle. In my opinion, a winch is a must because it would be very difficult for a Nother side-by-side or ATV to pull you out.

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
It all depends on your preference where you place it, just be sure to have one! I had mine set up to drop over my trailer ball on my Teryx. I put a front receiver on it and ran power cables to both ends with quick connects on either end. I carried the winch in the storage area. I am going the same route with my new P1K/3 which came in this morning. Thanks to all the great info on this forum, I will install a second battery and switches when I get it home. I am also considering setting up a spot on the ROPS as someone mentioned on this forum, so I can pull heavy objects into the bed. Good luck with your new machine.

Reactions: Whiskey1
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
I've only needed to winch myself out a few times in my xp800 ranger. Honestly I won't own a SXS without a winch for very long. I use my winch to pick deer up into the bed when I'm hunting alone.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes for sure, I'll tell you why... If you ever get it stuck in mud or a hill in a rut and you are all by yourself you cant push, pull, or wish it out. Only the very cheap insurance of a winch can save your "stuck" from becoming a possible nightmare. That being said if you are never leaving the back 40 on you farm that's an entirely different story. In the age old adage of engineering do I need one? It depends on how and where you will use it, but one error in judgment on the trail may make it the cheapest insurance you ever bought.

Carl427

Carl427

Dec 21, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It depends on where you plan on driving really... I ride in the everglades alot where there is a lot of water and deep mud holes. A winch is a must. I got antsy the first weekend i had it and ventured into the everglades without one. Lets just say by the time i payed someone who was able to WINCH me out of a mudhole.... I could have bought several winches. So if you are going to be on dry, solid, mudhole-less land, no need. Exploring the outdoors on day trail rides through water, hills, swamps and mudholes, yes you need.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Install a winch with Synthetic rope and buy a snatch block and a couple of tree straps and shackles. You will find many uses for it.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
No brainer for me. If I don't have a winch I ain't taking it out there. I don't like the idea of walking out of the swamp in the dark.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like stated before, as soon as you get it stuck you'll wish you spent the $300 for the winch, easy installation too.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Without question get one. If you only use it once it's worth it. You are going rock out a SXS like you can an ATV. Even then I put one on my ATV because of one time. They are a life saver in my opinion.

advertisement
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Thank you all, so far. I'm starting to lean toward getting a winch, after reading some of the posts. I've looked at the Superwinch and the Warn version (with synthetic rope as suggested above) online. But there are many others (Viper, etc.), even the Honda version. Does anyone have recommendations on brand, load capacity for a P1000M5? Is 4500 lbs neccessary or will a 3k work?

Perhaps more importantly for a guy like me, does the mounting bracket need to be vehicle specific or will a universal install kit work just fine? Cuz, well I look at the installer in the mirror every day, and he has enough busted knuckles to go around.

Reactions: DTAGG
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
It all depends on your preference where you place it, just be sure to have one! I had mine set up to drop over my trailer ball on my Teryx. I put a front receiver on it and ran power cables to both ends with quick connects on either end. I carried the winch in the storage area. I am going the same route with my new P1K/3 which came in this morning. Thanks to all the great info on this forum, I will install a second battery and switches when I get it home. I am also considering setting up a spot on the ROPS as someone mentioned on this forum, so I can pull heavy objects into the bed. Good luck with your new machine.
I like that idea. Was that a custom build or was there an available bolt-on front receiver unit? Congrats on the P1K/3 today. There is nothing like a shiny new Honda..

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
In the muddy south, you better have one, or at least friends that can pull out out.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4500lb at least. Warn or superwinch, both work great. And yes you need the brand specific mount.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed the KFI 4500 stealth winch with the KFI mount, it mounts perfectly and looks very good. The setup is very nice and very user friendly and easy to install. I would recommend this set up and for the price of 405.00 shipped to the door, it is well worth the money.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
For sure a winch. Dont mount it on top a bumper either when your stuck with these beasts you need to be winching up high on a tree and from down low on your sxs gets that front end coming up out of the mud.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For sure a winch. Dont mount it on top a bumper either when your stuck with these beasts you need to be winching up high on a tree and from down low on your sxs gets that front end coming up out of the mud.

Very true. Thanks for reminding me. I've seen the winch high mount cause problems.

A

Alex

Nov 27, 2015
building a front receiver for mine BUT the right and left sides of the frame in the front are not square with each other. I made the mount fit the bumper three times, adjusting the width each time and still can't get both sides to bolt up to the frame. May try again today or may take the pioneer to work where my welder is and weld together on the pioneer. i had this front rear mount on my Ranger XP and on my big red. The bigred never ran long enough to use. Only got stuck on it once before it blew up. Sitting in the back yard now with 173 hours on it and no compression. The one on the Ranger got used at least 100 times, some front and some rear. Never had to walk home and get the tractor once i put the winch on.
I have never had an issue with a Super winch! I bought the terra 45 at Cabelas for 211.00 out the door. Amazon has the cables already made up for the rear for I think 31.00ish.

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pondering the install of a front-mounted winch, and being on the fence about it, I want to know what the great folks of SXS are thinking here. I could use the input and insight you have based on past experience, your opinion, or any comments, moans, and/or groans, etc. Much appreciated!
I plan on a receiver mount winch, with receptacles front, rear, headache rack. Warn style plug ins at all three places.
Anyone know of any brand other than Warn plug ins??

A

Alex

Nov 27, 2015
super winch sells them also Granger, Mc Master Carr. Just need to know what size wire you are using.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!