P700 Too Deep?

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
So ..... I underestimated some water depth.

I was going through a mud hole that turned out to be a chasm that swallowed up my machine. She ended up on about a 30 degree tilt to the passenger side with water LITERALLY a 1/2" from the intake. A good samaritan passing by (almost immediately from when I started to sink) saw my plight and we locked winch hooks and he pulled me out with my machine powering to help. Once out, I let her run for a minute and let her drain out of the body tub. I shut the machine down and pulled the air box drain, and only got about an ounce of water. Obviously, some water did make it's way in to the battery/computer area.

Worth mentioning before my question, I never shut it down ... it was running the whole time. There were no tidal waves while I was in there either.

I'm not sure where stock vents are, but I'm concerned with any water that may have entered spots it shouldn't have. I'm pretty confident the gas cap (although underwater) sealed tight.

The machine ran great for the next 2 hours without any issues or noises. Only some damaged pride and a red mark from the palm smack I gave myself. I'm sure this has happened to many others on the site, just trying to get a feel for what they experienced down the road after a swim like that.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Sorry no pics .... time was of the essence, it was sinking faster than the Titanic. Every time I glanced, the intake was getting closer to the water.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wouldn't sweat it... sounds like you got your boys wet:D You probably got lucky.I would check oil, front and rear differentials.If you feel you got water in the tank vent then drain it and check. If it's good then refill and ride on.
Also take the seat off and stand it up on end to drain.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
So ..... I underestimated some water depth.

I was going through a mud hole that turned out to be a chasm that swallowed up my machine. She ended up on about a 30 degree tilt to the passenger side with water LITERALLY a 1/2" from the intake. A good samaritan passing by (almost immediately from when I started to sink) saw my plight and we locked winch hooks and he pulled me out with my machine powering to help. Once out, I let her run for a minute and let her drain out of the body tub. I shut the machine down and pulled the air box drain, and only got about an ounce of water. Obviously, some water did make it's way in to the battery/computer area.

Worth mentioning before my question, I never shut it down ... it was running the whole time. There were no tidal waves while I was in there either.

I'm not sure where stock vents are, but I'm concerned with any water that may have entered spots it shouldn't have. I'm pretty confident the gas cap (although underwater) sealed tight.

The machine ran great for the next 2 hours without any issues or noises. Only some damaged pride and a red mark from the palm smack I gave myself. I'm sure this has happened to many others on the site, just trying to get a feel for what they experienced down the road after a swim like that.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Sorry no pics .... time was of the essence, it was sinking faster than the Titanic. Every time I glanced, the intake was getting closer to the water.

The vent for the gas tank is under the seat, below the battery box, which is about 4-6” below the intake. If the tank is warmer than the water you’re in, it could suck water in. Definitely check the tank and at the very least, extend that vent line. I brought mine up behind driver’s seat and put a filter on the end to prevent stuff from blocking the vent. Also check diffs for high levels or milky fluid.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the input, I’ll try to give it a look over this week.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, diffs look ok. Engine oil looks ok. But, definitely a little crud made it’s way to the tank. Not much, but I see a little in there that made its way in through the vent I suppose. I plan on raising the vent.

What has been others experience with this? Clean it out somehow or yank the tank?

*** EDIT *** I'm sure this stuff wasn't there before the trip out, I gassed it up right before I left and saw nothing. The picture seems to add a 3rd dimension of crud height ... it's actually just a little stuff on the bottom.

D31E18C4 BE3C 459A 83DB 7DDA69345E9B

Last edited:
Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You don't want to take off tank... Major pain in the butt.I would park with drivers side high sided and siphon it out with clear hose and try to suck it out that way. 3/8" clear tubing from Home Depot or Lowes. Then after add a little dry gas and some higher octane and hope for the best...

Reactions: William and Mudwing
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would pull the tank. I have seen a guy siphon water out though. Just let the water settle to the bottom then siphon it. The trash will come with it...

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks guys. With the location of the stock vent, I’m willing to bet more people have this happen and may not even know about it.

Reactions: swsebek
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
U can also get a bottle of heat from local parts store it’s supposed to get water out of gas

Reactions: PolkaJoe
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update: I drained out all the gas and cleaned tank as best as I could, I got just about all of it by adding fresh gas and using a siphon like a vacuum a few times. Did an oil change and final front/rear change. Also added some k100 to fresh fuel. Time will tell. Thanks again for everyone’s input, I truly appreciate it.

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
If your engine oil wasn't milky you're good to go. These things are built tough.
BTW: I bet you will snorkel it now.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Gonna stop playing in the water for a while for sure ..... I’ve been toying the snorkel idea for a few months.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
If you gonna play in water you better snorkel and run all vent lines up mines been steering wheel deep several times with no issues after snorkel and running vent lines

Reactions: Mudwing
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Haha ... no thank you! That deep stuff is all yours my friend. I’ll watch in amazement from the sidelines.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't snorkel until after I ran my 4 wheeler in too deep.
I snorkeled my 700 and 3 weeks later a seemingly benign hole turned into a bottomless pit. The snorkel saved me a lot of headache.

I don't snorkel so that I can go play in deep water. I snorkel in case I find myself in deep sh_t.

Reactions: Little_g
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Snorkel is insurance that you don’t have to pay every month on

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!