rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
It's a great machine, what's the conflict. It's a brag not an admission. The Polaris Ranger has its roll at my ranch which it serves properly, a roll that the P-5 couldn't. My beloved P-5 however is the trail King. I would have thought a man of your intellect would have no trouble featuring that.

Not a PoPo fan...of any kind
look how many are for sale
PoPo flood the market
of used SxS
FACT CHECKED
Glad your happy
more are not happy....
That looks like my dads old ranger 500! And my uncles ranger 800!!! Haha. Seriously tho, they were both total losses due to fire. I could have bought the 800 for $1700 from the insurance company, but I passed. It was not completely toasted like the pic... A fire extinguisher would be a good idea to bring along. You never know when one of your friends buggies might go up in flames! Better to have it and not need it than.... You know.
Thought they looked like frames of a PoPo
haha.....

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I keep a couple valve stems and the tool to install them in my SOB box along with tire plugs and most of the items yall already mentioned.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Funny you say that because both my dad and my uncle would normally be carrying enough liquid refreshment to extinguish a significant blaze!! Haha
Lol, and there you have it.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Someone else mentioned a jump pack... Check this one out:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000R-Rosso-Portable-Starter/dp/B00D42AFS8?tag=sxsweb24-20

I bought this before christmas on Amazon. It was on special for around $55 or $60. I have used it more than once and it is truly amazing. I jumped a GMC Yukon with the 6.0 V8 engine and a Bobcat mini excavator with a small diesel engine using this jump box. Comes in a nice small case. It was funny when I pulled this out to start that Yukon... the guy was laughing at me, until he turned the key and it fired right up. Then he asked where he could buy one...

Reactions: Tflynn and cthack
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Something else to consider carrying...

I just ordered a new OEM air filter from Rocky Mountain. The foam is only $15.45. I figure I will oil it and keep it in a heavy duty ziploc sealed in one of my boxes when riding... Unlikely that I will swamp my P500, but stuff happens. If the air filter gets wet/muddy, it sure will be nice to have a spare on hand to avoid engine damage.

Reactions: Tflynn
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Something else to consider carrying...

I just ordered a new OEM air filter from Rocky Mountain. The foam is only $15.45. I figure I will oil it and keep it in a heavy duty ziploc sealed in one of my boxes when riding... Unlikely that I will swamp my P500, but stuff happens. If the air filter gets wet/muddy, it sure will be nice to have a spare on hand to avoid engine damage.

By the way, I found that the Pioneer takes the exact same air filter element as other Hondas (400EX & Pioneer 700 for example). Honda's part # is 17254-HN1-000

So there are several options for aftermarket filters: Twin-Air, UNI, No-Toil... I wanted a UNI or Twin-Air, but Rocky Mountain did not list those options. Twin-air and No-toil do not list an air filter for the P500, even though it takes the same one as many other Hondas. Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for a new air filter... (K&N = BAD for off road)

Reactions: 100Acre
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Someone else mentioned a jump pack... Check this one out:

Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive

I bought this before christmas on Amazon. It was on special for around $55 or $60. I have used it more than once and it is truly amazing. I jumped a GMC Yukon with the 6.0 V8 engine and a Bobcat mini excavator with a small diesel engine using this jump box. Comes in a nice small case. It was funny when I pulled this out to start that Yukon... the guy was laughing at me, until he turned the key and it fired right up. Then he asked where he could buy one...
Thought I might be the only one that had thought of that. I have a Best Tek 600A jump starter that I carry. About the same price. Can charge about any battery and yes, can jump start full size trucks. Without a pull start as a back up I thought this was absolutely necessary. Comes with a bag and fits in the palm of your hand.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate you guys taking the time to share what you take along. I see some things that I am missing and am working on incorporating them into my storage. I was an auto mechanic in a former life (30 years ago) and like to be prepared. Thanks!
Have often wondered what occupation or background guys have in these forums. I am/was a carpenter, now a construction superintendent. Anything with wood or sheet metal just comes easy. As they say...a man doesn't pick a career, it's the other way around.

advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know most everyone here keeps a tow strap. I bought this cheap one from Rocky Mountain for $9.99

Tusk ATV Tow Strap | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I've had it a while, and previously only used it a couple times to pull out a quad. It is very compact and light, so I didn't have much confidence in it for heavy use. Well, this past weekend I was working to clean up my property. I decided to pull out some trees, and cut some other ones down. All I had on hand was this tow strap, so I put it to the test. Some of the trees I was pulling were 4" in diameter. Some would not pull out, and all 4 tires on the P500 were spinning on dry turf when pulling. This little strap handled that abuse and did not break. I can see how it would wear out due to abrasion if it was used like this regularly, but for an emergency strap, I think it's a great product. For $10, you can't go wrong.

S

Sledge

I know most everyone here keeps a tow strap. I bought this cheap one from Rocky Mountain for $9.99

Tusk ATV Tow Strap | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I've had it a while, and previously only used it a couple times to pull out a quad. It is very compact and light, so I didn't have much confidence in it for heavy use. Well, this past weekend I was working to clean up my property. I decided to pull out some trees, and cut some other ones down. All I had on hand was this tow strap, so I put it to the test. Some of the trees I was pulling were 4" in diameter. Some would not pull out, and all 4 tires on the P500 were spinning on dry turf when pulling. This little strap handled that abuse and did not break. I can see how it would wear out due to abrasion if it was used like this regularly, but for an emergency strap, I think it's a great product. For $10, you can't go wrong.
Just now ordered, ehart. Didn't even read the reviews. Already had one I trust. Yours. Thanks.

Joe

Reactions: DanDan and ehart814
S

Sledge

May have missed it, but didn't notice anyone mentioning an axe. A SHARP axe.

A man can do a lot with an axe, not only to open a trail, but to save his life. A fire will save your life. Often.

A cheap blue tarp, too. Upright or flopped, a P5 is an ideal object from which to hang an emergency lean-to. Shelter is critical to survival in bad weather.

A set of warm dry clothes. I carry mine in a kayaking dry bag.

A shovel was mentioned, but anyone who has done much real work with a shovel knows that a shovel needs to be sharp too.

Not axe sharp, and an axe doesn't need to be knife sharp. They do need to be appropriately sharp, though.

Btw, Tractor Supply has a sweet little pointed D-handle shovel for $10, and it fits perfectly across the widest point of the underhood cavity, filling the gap and allowing other stuff to be piled on top.

Vise grips. Big 'uns.

Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
We ride alot in New Mexico
SLIME is a must
$10 tube per tire
State of many Catus. ....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
May have missed it, but didn't notice anyone mentioning an axe. A SHARP axe.

A man can do a lot with an axe, not only to open a trail, but to save his life. A fire will save your life. Often.

A cheap blue tarp, too. Upright or flopped, a P5 is an ideal object from which to hang an emergency lean-to. Shelter is critical to survival in bad weather.

A set of warm dry clothes. I carry mine in a kayaking dry bag.

A shovel was mentioned, but anyone who has done much real work with a shovel knows that a shovel needs to be sharp too.

Not axe sharp, and an axe doesn't need to be knife sharp. They do need to be appropriately sharp, though.

Btw, Tractor Supply has a sweet little pointed D-handle shovel for $10, and it fits perfectly across the widest point of the underhood cavity, filling the gap and allowing other stuff to be piled on top.

Vise grips. Big 'uns.

Joe

Dude.....
Bottle of Crown

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Isn't that a mess if you take your tire off though? I carry a slime patch kit and small compressor.
I guess..never had to do that
but if you don't slime tires
your tires go flat...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!