P500 tools and spare parts you carry

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
I searched the p500 section and did not see this addressed. I may have missed it.
I was riding this weekend and came across a guy on an atv that had loose lug nuts. He had after market wheels that needed a lug wrench or deep well socket to get to them. Got me to thinking, do I have every thing I need with me? As soon as I installed my storage, under seat and under hood, I placed several items I thought I might need.
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Fire starter, and lighter
So far I have used the tow strap, (tow someone else, not me), zip ties, (evidently someone forgot to put screw clamp on main coolant hose to engine, it came off on my second ride), wasp spray, (killing bugs in deer stands).
After trying to help guy with loose lug nuts, I realized I did not have a lug wrench myself. I thought then, I need an extra spark plug, extra fuel tank...?
What else am I missing, what do you guys carry with you?
Thanks!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I searched the p500 section and did not see this addressed. I may have missed it.
I was riding this weekend and came across a guy on an atv that had loose lug nuts. He had after market wheels that needed a lug wrench or deep well socket to get to them. Got me to thinking, do I have every thing I need with me? As soon as I installed my storage, under seat and under hood, I placed several items I thought I might need.
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
So far I have used the tow strap, (tow someone else, not me), zip ties, (evidently someone forgot to put screw clamp on main coolant hose to engine, it came off on my second ride), wasp spray, (killing bugs in deer stands).
After trying to help guy with loose lug nuts, I realized I did not have a lug wrench myself. I thought then, I need an extra spark plug, extra fuel tank...?
Thanks!

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared... another thing that might be useful: a small shovel

I have a couple small plastic ammo cans that I take with me. They are very nice for small items that you want to keep dry. I keep a tow strap, some leather work gloves, bungee cords, LED flashlight, and a clevis in one. Walmart sells the small plastic Plano brand ammo cans for under $5 each.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Thanks!
I have all of that and binoculars, multi tool, extra coolant and radiator stop leak, a quart of oil, an allen wrench for the many OEM and after market allen head machine screws, a chainsaw (that gets used every time we ride) micro-fibre cloths for the windshield, fire extinguisher, to, boot and glove warmers, and plenty of high energy snacks on rotation.

Last edited:
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
I have all of that and binoculars, multi tool, extra coolant and radiator stop leak, a quart of oil, an allen wrench for the many OEM and after market allen head machine screws, a chainsaw (that gets used every time we ride) micro-fibre cloths for the windshield, boot and glove warmers, and plenty of high energy snacks on rotation.
I thought about you this weekend riding just east of Mena. Same country as the pics you posted about your ride around Mt. Ida.

Reactions: DanDan
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I thought about you this weekend riding just east of Mena. Same country as the pics you posted about your ride around Mt. Ida.
Wolf Pen Gap???

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have all of that and binoculars, multi tool, extra coolant and radiator stop leak, a quart of oil, an allen wrench for the many OEM and after market allen head machine screws, a chainsaw (that gets used every time we ride) micro-fibre cloths for the windshield, boot and glove warmers, and plenty of high energy snacks on rotation.

I can believe you use the chainsaw every time you ride! It would be great to always have one on hand... If I owned one, I'm sure i'd be taking it along for the ride quite often...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I can believe you use the chainsaw every time you ride! It would be great to always have one on hand... If I owned one, I'm sure i'd be taking it along for the ride quite often...
My buddy and I are opening up trails in the Ouachita National Forest (the 76,000 acre division north of Sims/Pencil Bluff Arkansas) that haven't been traveled in years. Often trees have grown up in them that can't be navigated or pushed over by the mighty P-5, or large trees that have fallen across the trail.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Thanks!

I carry winching accessories, small scissor jack & spare tire, breaker bar, socket wrench and metric sockets, metric wrench set and a few screwdrivers, 18" long adjustable wrench, vise grips, needle nose, rope/cordage navigation aids and communications. I will eventually add some basic survival gear to the list. I have a First Aid kit and "Go" bag with things like ziplocks and water purification but I haven't started to carry them as my rides weren't extensive. I forget whether or not I threw a tarp in my box but will if I haven't already. Everything is packed in moving blankets to cut down on noise and damage to the box but can double as blankets to keep warm in a pinch.

Where I ride, a back country pass is required so you only have to be able to survive a little longer than you state on the permit.

Although I'm new to S x S, I have been riding extensively for years so I have a pretty good feel for what gets me out of jams. My experience is with smaller ATVs so the mass and complexity of the S x S is a new set of challenges. If the machines just stops running, or you hear a loud snap or thunk followed by grinding there probably isn't a whole lot that can be done other than calling this guy:

The Offroad Wrecker of the BSF Recovery Team

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You guys forgot the most important tool
of all. ......bottle of JD Tennessee Honey........

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Downloadfile 1

get one of these to fit the P500
to carry all your tools....
HaHa........

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Thanks!
Say you towed a PoPo... haha

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Thanks!
This question was discussed a few months ago in another thread, the most important thing at the time as I recall was T P.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I've cut the top of my socks off
....more than once

Bear and a rabbit are "evacuating" in the woods. Bears turns to the rabbit and asks in a meek tone if the rabbit ever has any problem with "soil" sticking to his hair. Rabbit replies confidently that its never a problem. Bears says, "good", bear grabs the rabbit and cleans himself with him.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think you guys listed everything I carry but I didn't see anyone say fire extinguisher

Reactions: DanDan
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I ride in one.

Your video is cool....
Question ::: You drive in alot of water....which means
mud,, splashing.....water on windshield throwing
it all over.......
I SEE NONE OF THAT?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!