P500 tools and spare parts you carry

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I carry a bunch of little misc. things but had to use my little air pump last night for the first time. Came down a little hill and at the bottom had to go down into a little ditch to come back out. Blew the passenger front tire right off the bead. Was able to reach around the back of the tire while it was pumping and pull forward and got it to reseat no problem.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
By the way, I found that the Pioneer takes the exact same air filter element as other Hondas (400EX & Pioneer 700 for example). Honda's part # is 17254-HN1-000

So there are several options for aftermarket filters: Twin-Air, UNI, No-Toil... I wanted a UNI or Twin-Air, but Rocky Mountain did not list those options. Twin-air and No-toil do not list an air filter for the P500, even though it takes the same one as many other Hondas. Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for a new air filter... (K&N = BAD for off road)
Why is a K&N filter not good for

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I searched the p500 section and did not see this addressed. I may have missed it.
I was riding this weekend and came across a guy on an atv that had loose lug nuts. He had after market wheels that needed a lug wrench or deep well socket to get to them. Got me to thinking, do I have every thing I need with me? As soon as I installed my storage, under seat and under hood, I placed several items I thought I might need.
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Fire starter, and lighter
So far I have used the tow strap, (tow someone else, not me), zip ties, (evidently someone forgot to put screw clamp on main coolant hose to engine, it came off on my second ride), wasp spray, (killing bugs in deer stands).
After trying to help guy with loose lug nuts, I realized I did not have a lug wrench myself. I thought then, I need an extra spark plug, extra fuel tank...?
What else am I missing, what do you guys carry with you?
Thanks!
You don't need all that stuff, just a cooler of beer and if something happens, drink the beer and say "Screw it."

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Why is a K&N filter not good for

I think its application dependant. Used one on my Rubi for 9000 Kms not a problem... Tried them on my 7.3 powerstroke trucks and I think due to forced induction (turbo) and large air demands, fine particles would get through the filter media, so I don't use in that application anymore. I think if you monitor and maintain the K&N appropriately in small normally aspirated engine like the P5 you should be ok. If you run one I'd check the intake post filter and wipe down the intake prior to install with a clean white rag. Install filter and run them check again with white rag for particles getting through the filter.

Ok to keep on track here. Following is my kit list so far...
Two small snatch blocks
2"x20' 7000lbs flat tow strap
Spare synthetic winch line
Synthetic 2' loop of winch line.
15' 5/8" nylon rope
Air compressor
Fiskar brush hook, razor sharp
Fiskar 2 handed axe razor sharp too
Fire extinguisher
Tool kit with tire patch plugs.
Above gear is alway stowed on P5.

j

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I think its application dependant. Used one on my Rubi for 9000 Kms not a problem... Tried them on my 7.3 powerstroke trucks and I think due to forced induction (turbo) and large air demands, fine particles would get through the filter media, so I don't use in that application anymore. I think if you monitor and maintain the K&N appropriately in small normally aspirated engine like the P5 you should be ok. If you run one I'd check the intake post filter and wipe down the intake prior to install with a clean white rag. Install filter and run them check again with white rag for particles getting through the filter.

Ok to keep on track here. Following is my kit list so far...
Two small snatch blocks
2"x20' 7000lbs flat tow strap
Spare synthetic winch line
Synthetic 2' loop of winch line.
15' 5/8" nylon rope
Air compressor
Fiskar brush hook, razor sharp
Fiskar 2 handed axe razor sharp too
Fire extinguisher
Tool kit with tire patch plugs.
Above gear is alway stowed on P5.

j
Snatch blocks are a must but remember to include a D-Ring Shackle.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You don't need all that stuff, just a cooler of beer and if something happens, drink the beer and say "Screw it."
I carry the list and the ice chest of beer. Get stuck, drink a beer and think about it, then get busy getting her out or repaired!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I carry the list and the ice chest of beer. Get stuck, drink a beer and think about it, then get busy getting her out or repaired!
Not to mention, beer is an accepted currency on the trail should you need to persuade help from a stranger.

Going back to what @wyo700 said in post 83, if you have a tie strap on board (most of us probably use one to hold the cooler down) you can wrap it around the circumference of the tire and tighten it up and this will help reseat your bead while adding air. Doesn't always work but I've had luck with that method.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not to mention, beer is an accepted currency on the trail should you need to persuade help from a stranger.

Going back to what @wyo700 said in post 83, if you have a tie strap on board (most of us probably use one to hold the cooler down) you can wrap it around the circumference of the tire and tighten it up and this will help reseat your bead while adding air. Doesn't always work but I've had luck with that method.
That's a great idea T!!!

Reactions: Tflynn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Could do the old trucker trick...spray around the wheel with starting fluid or other flammable...touch it with a flame, seated and inflated.
Saw guys do this to a skid steer regularly. :eek: Maybe in an emergency.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Could do the old trucker trick...spray around the wheel with starting fluid or other flammable...touch it with a flame, seated and inflated.
I've heard of that, never seen it done though. I don't mind telling you I'm way too much of a wuss to try that one!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha yeah, I can just see a trail rider 12 beers deep attempting that. :D

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I've played a part in doing that several times when I was braver(younger). It always worked good but I was scared each time. It's crazy to watch the tire swell with pressure and then shrink back down. I always had to inflate the tire more afterwards though.

Today, I carry a compressor, ratchet straps, plugs, and most importantly a CO2 kit. Thanks HondaSXS for sharing that.

I used my CO2 canister on a car tire a couple weeks ago and the guy with me was amazed.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I searched the p500 section and did not see this addressed. I may have missed it.
I was riding this weekend and came across a guy on an atv that had loose lug nuts. He had after market wheels that needed a lug wrench or deep well socket to get to them. Got me to thinking, do I have every thing I need with me? As soon as I installed my storage, under seat and under hood, I placed several items I thought I might need.
Flashlight
Tow strap
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit
Can of tire goo
Metric end wrenches
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
First Aid Kit
Wasp spray
Channel locks
Screw drivers
Fire starter, and lighter
So far I have used the tow strap, (tow someone else, not me), zip ties, (evidently someone forgot to put screw clamp on main coolant hose to engine, it came off on my second ride), wasp spray, (killing bugs in deer stands).
After trying to help guy with loose lug nuts, I realized I did not have a lug wrench myself. I thought then, I need an extra spark plug, extra fuel tank...?
What else am I missing, what do you guys carry with you?
Thanks!
Glad to see the first aid kit as a retired paramedic! The most important parts on the machine are the driver and passenger. Sounds like you have a little McGyver in you, like most of us off-roaders!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Glad to see the first aid kit as a retired paramedic! The most important parts on the machine are the driver and passenger. Sounds like you have a little McGyver in you, like most of us off-roaders!
Yep, and got to remember those little kits have to be replaced every couple years, or at least some of the supplies that don't take well to the temperature fluctuations.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got this wrench today for 13$ shipped as part of spare tire kit (in production). It very compact (see amazon pics)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DJ8A40/?tag=sxsweb24-20

81qZ7TNW89L SL1500

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, other than a few items like fuses, plugs, tire stems and something else, no one really mentioned spare parts. I keep hearing about broken axels, tie rods, ball joints and so on from various members esp at the Takeover, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to carry any extra parts that may leave your machine on the trail while you walk out? Thanks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So, other than a few items like fuses, plugs, tire stems and something else, no one really mentioned spare parts. I keep hearing about broken axels, tie rods, ball joints and so on from various members esp at the Takeover, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to carry any extra parts that may leave your machine on the trail while you walk out? Thanks.
Meh, all that can be fixed good enough on the trail with a pair of pliers and some bailing wire. :D:D:D

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!