Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
First I'd like to thank the future tax payers of America. I ordered the torQ locker. Besides fluids what else do I need to replace while I'm installing it. Gaskets, seals, other things?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Front diff case is sealed with an O-ring.
I reused it.
The only consumable was the front diff gear oil.

Link to my instal done this last weekend.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
First I'd like to thank the future tax payers of America. I ordered the torQ locker. Besides fluids what else do I need to replace while I'm installing it. Gaskets, seals, other things?
You will need a very small punch for the pin.

Key observations/lessons learned during my installation (from an old post).

P500 Torq-Master Locker Install Tips.
  1. Link to JWB Video. https://hondasxs.com/attachments/tl-honda-final-6-28-18-pdf.79804/
  2. Link to AMR (Jay_man81) video P500 - Torq-Masters torq locker feedback
  3. Read supplied instructions front to back before starting, will clarify videos (shims vs cone washer reuse, etc). A link to a .pdf of instructions would be helpful.
  4. Bumper and winch may come off as a unit, depending on type.
  5. Take measurement of exposed threads on 4wd cable to help in reinstall.
  6. Caution: Pull 4wd sensor plug instead of removing bolt and twisting wire.
  7. Free up brake line, just 2 bolts each side. Calipers remained in place.
  8. Do not have to remove steering joint, just A arm bolts, ample clearance to pull axle out.
  9. Recommend Zip tie or other method to support loose axles to A arm to prevent stress after removal from differential.
  10. Before starting, get proper sized drill bit and pin punch to remove pin (someone give proper size) and a point punch to re-dimple pin in place.
  11. Pre lube locker surfaces during installation.
  12. Be careful of not damaging the oil seals, both while pulling the axle shafts and then reinstalling them. The stub end could easily damage the oil seal lips in the differential.
  13. Circlip update from Torq-Master. Axle Re-installation - Use the new circlips provided
  14. Caution: when reinstalling the rear of the front drive shaft at engine output housing, check O ring. Also the rubber boot has tabs to pull it over the housing. Do this last when you can spin the axle during rotation test, pull boot over in sections as you rotate the shaft.
  15. Refill with 75-140w gear oil (optional heavier weight).
  16. Clean dripped oils, then reinspect after riding to ensure no leaks at differential.
  17. Give a Thanks to Torq Masters on their FB page, website or Honda SxS forum here: Welcome TORQ Masters to the Honda SxS Club!
Additional info thread. Torq Locker Install Issue - The Honda Side by Side Club!

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did the 27s a couple years ago hopefully do the power before too long.
Start saving for power steering now, I had the T.L. for about a year before I did.....night & day difference. I wouldn't say it's required but your arms/shoulders will thank you.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Reactions: J80
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got time to install the torQ locker over the weekend. Other than a few laps around the yard haven't gotten to try it out, but it was enough to know that power steering will move up on my want list.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Put a Torqlocker in today in my 2015 P500 with 700 miles. That part of the job was easy. Dealing with the Honda front bumper and winch assembly added a good 3 hours to the job. I only unhooked the lower a-arms. Did not have any issues with the spring clips on the wheel drive shafts (new ones were included with the torqlocker). One thing I did that I've not seen was I disconnected the shocks on the low end, swung them up and out and snugged the bolt to hold them there instead of removing them. That worked well. I only found one shim washer in the gear box. I did find a couple loose bolts on the plow mount after four years of use. Also installed a wireless remote for the winch while I was at it.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Plowed a 4-6" of wet heavy snow today. Steering didn't feel any different in 2wd. Got a little stiffer in 4wd when you went about 1/2 way into turning. Not a big deal for the most part. With the Torqlocker I really noticed a big difference when I got off the concrete pushing the snow out into the yard and went to back out. Pretty much no hesitation now.

Reactions: Mudder and Red500
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!