P1000 Torque Values - A-arms, Ball joints , Shocks

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey ya'll, I'm going to be starting my a-arm, shock, wheel.....build this weekend. I know I could probably do a search and find out all the information I'm going to ask, but I just plan like talking to you guys. So, here goes: What is/are the torque values of, lets start with the wheels to the wheel spacers? Spacers to the hubs? Shock mounting bolts, top and bottom? Ball joints, big ones and small ones? All the a-arm mounting bolts? Front and rear. Anything else you can think of, please add it on. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, anyone running one of these?;)

Fuse300

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a lineman tried to do narrowback work..

Reactions: nitzo
H

HondaTech

Are you referring to stock suspension components or aftermarket?

I would assume the spacers would have their torque values in the instructions, if not, Honda specs 80lbf-ft for the lugnuts.

I'll do some digging on the rest.

Edit:

Assuming (by the color In the photo) you have a 5 seat non LE P1K.

Front:
Upper/Lower shock mount 47 lbf-ft
Upper A-arm 32 lbf-ft
Lower A-arm 47 lbf-ft
Upper Ball joint 21 lbf-ft
Lower Ball joint 36 lbf-ft
Brake caliper mount 80lbf-ft (This seems high to me, rear is only 36?)
Hub nut 101lbf-ft

The A-arm mounts have to be "set" by measuring the shock mount center to center and holding it there while torquing the hardware. You install the axle and hub then insert the hardware, and set the length specified.

Length: 453mm or 17.8 in.

Rear:
Upper arm to frame 47 lbf-ft
Upper arm to knuckle 32 lbf-ft
Lower arm to frame 47 lbf-ft
Lower arm to knuckle 32 lbf-ft
Brake caliper 36 lbf-ft
Hub nut 101 lbf-ft
They dont give a sway bar link to arm torque, but the swap bar side of the link is 34 lbf-ft

You also have to set the length of the shock mount center to center before torquing. Except you torque the top arm mount first (inner and outer) then set the length and torque the bottom.

Length: 459mm 18.1in.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Hey ya'll, I'm going to be starting my a-arm, shock, wheel.....build this weekend. I know I could probably do a search and find out all the information I'm going to ask, but I just plan like talking to you guys. So, here goes: What is/are the torque values of, lets start with the wheels to the wheel spacers? Spacers to the hubs? Shock mounting bolts, top and bottom? Ball joints, big ones and small ones? All the a-arm mounting bolts? Front and rear. Anything else you can think of, please add it on. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, anyone running one of these?;)

View attachment 175240
Just FYI... as a supporting member you have access to the pdf of the Honda service manual!

Last edited by a moderator:
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you referring to stock suspension components or aftermarket?

I would assume the spacers would have their torque values in the instructions, if not, Honda specs 80lbf-ft for the lugnuts.

I'll do some digging on the rest.

Edit:

Assuming (by the color In the photo) you have a 5 seat non LE P1K.

Front:
Upper A-arm 32 lbf-ft
Lower A-arm 47 lbf-ft
Upper Ball joint 21 lbf-ft
Lower Ball joint 36 lbf-ft
Brake caliper mount 80lbf-ft (This seems high to me, rear is only 36?)
Hub nut 101lbf-ft

The A-arm mounts have to be "set" by measuring the shock mount center to center and holding it there while torquing the hardware. You install the axle and hub then insert the hardware, and set the length specified.

Length: 453mm or 17.8 in.

Rear:
Upper arm to frame 47 lbf-ft
Upper arm to knuckle 32 lbf-ft
Lower arm to frame 47 lbf-ft
Lower arm to knuckle 32 lbf-ft
Brake caliper 36 lbf-ft
Hub nut 101 lbf-ft
They dont give a sway bar link to arm torque, but the swap bar side of the link is 34 lbf-ft

You also have to set the length of the shock mount center to center before torquing. Except you torque the top arm mount first (inner and outer) then set the length and torque the bottom.

Length: 459mm 18.1in.

WOW.....Awesome stuff, thanks...... lbf-ft is foot pounds right? And yes, its a 2018 1000-5 deluxe

H

HondaTech

WOW.....Awesome stuff, thanks...... lbf-ft is foot pounds right? And yes, its a 2018 1000-5 deluxe

Yes, that's how Honda abbreviated foot-pounds in the manual. If your installing aftermarket A-arms with heim joints then the length measurement probably isn't necessary.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, that's how Honda abbreviated foot-pounds in the manual. If your installing aftermarket A-arms with heim joints then the length measurement probably isn't necessary.
I just received the 2.0 Rhino axles yesterday and will be installing them this week-end. Looks kind of simple, remove the lower shock bolt, remove the tie rod, remove upper ball joint and change the axle. Is that about it?

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!