Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Instead of anti-seize? I Loc-Tite everything, but didn't think that would be good if I'm *supposed* to be checking torque at various intervals.
Haha thats why u use the loc tite.
After putting them on, i was checking them on my P1 was t moving so I stopped. Checked them once on my Talon then checked them a yr later, still good.
Ill stick with the loc tite.

Sorry bout the spelling push to talk in my truck and siri sucks monkey balls

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
With most things, that's what I do. But $450+ that I'll likely only use to torque beadlocks? That might be overkill. But thank you for the reminder!
If your using it for small things like bead locs then go to HF and get you one. If your using it for a professional trade, anti up the cabbage

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If your using it for small things like bead locs then go to HF and get you one. If your using it for a professional trade, anti up the cabbage
I have a Tekton 3/8" drive. It's a step or two above HF offerings. I do have a Pittsburgh 1/4" drive from HF for smaller stuff, but rarely use it, instead opting for torque wrist (nohomo).

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 3 different Snap On's. They are inch pounds 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive 0-100 ft lbs and 1/2"drive 25-260 ft lbs.They are all click type. All are over 25 years old and never a problem.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have 3 different Snap On's. They are inch pounds 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive 0-100 ft lbs and 1/2"drive 25-260 ft lbs.They are all click type. All are over 25 years old and never a problem.
Hope you keep those gems locked up, mo!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hope you keep those gems locked up, mo!
As far as I know they are still in my shop and inside my tool box. Probably have some dust on them now. Back when I worked on Detroit diesels, we used to have to torque the main bolts on 92 series in the truck in three different steps and I think they torqued to around 260 ft lbs. You had to do some aerobics to secure yourself on a creeper and pull on that torque wrench!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A few loose leaf thoughts -

Beadlocks are new to me, never had a set before Oct. 2020 on my first SxS, the Talon. I had the dealer mount them and the new tires. None of the BL bolts were ever loose when I checked them (by feel with a 3/8" ratchet or breaker (same lengths)).

When it came time to replace the Chicane RX OHV tires with BFG K02's, I did them myself. Didn't use a torque wrench, strictly by feel. Every time I checked them, they were 'somewhat' loose, usually almost all of them. That didn't bother me because I've read of too many stripped bolts in the alum. wheel - that's the LAST thing I wanted to happen.

Every time I tightened them, I'd heard the gravel crunching as the BL ring closed in on the rim because there was a space between the two. I'm not sure if the shop install had tightened the BL rings until they were seated against the rim or if they used a torque wrench (I doubt it). Using a torque wrench may, or may not, cinch the BL rings tight to the rim.

My point, at least for me - I don't know if the BL rings are supposed to be pinched tight to the rim or not? With the YUGE number of tires available, I can't imagine every one of them will have the same distance between the BL rings and the wheel. Or if, indeed, the BL rings are supposed to be pinched tight to the wheel, regardless of how thick the tire's bead is. If that's true, the torque needed could be different for every tire, depending on bead thickness.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I think the torques specs will depend upon the wheel, ring and bolt design. Regardless of the tire, if you overtorque, it's gonna be bad news.

I've reserved myself to the idea that I'll do my best to keep a decent and consistent amount of torque on the bolts and hope it minimizes any leaking. I've also accepted the fact that these 10-ply tires with thick beads will likely NOT seal as well as other tires with fewer plies and smoother bead surfaces.

Live and learn, I say!

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll add - my BL's have never leaked, even a little. And that's right before tightening them, sometimes as much as 2 full turns per wheel (guesstimate, which is a lot more than I thought would still hold air).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!