P1000 Tow-behind camping trailer

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm putting this under the P1K threads because these machines will have the most power to pull. While satiating my impatience with not being in my P1K yet, I came upon an entirely different accessory that I now sorely need. The camping trailer. I'm leaning towards the off-road style tear drop because I want a hard cabin for protection from mountain lions and curious boar. The three that have piqued my interest are linked below, in no particular order. Hoping this thread will incite some lively debate and useful information.

PS. I do not have the time or inclination to build my own but wouldn't mind seeing what others have built.

http://adventuretrailers.com/trailers/teardrop/

TerraDrop: Off Road Capable, Overland -inspired Teardrop Trailer. Built for Adventure!

Moby1 XTR Teardrop Trailer

Reactions: dale5740
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Those look really cool. Always wanted one to pull behind my jeep. Are you planning to pull one behind the P1K? Seems like you would be asking for transmission/drivetrain issues, some of those would be well over 2k lbs loaded up.

D

Digger

Jan 7, 2016
Those are really cool. Don't know how well a Honda would pull em but cool nonetheless.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Those look really cool. Always wanted one to pull behind my jeep. Are you planning to pull one behind the P1K? Seems like you would be asking for transmission/drivetrain issues, some of those would be well over 2k lbs loaded up.

I have the same concerns. Between the three Manufacturers I listed, most make various models with various accessories. The dry weight can range from under 1000lbs to over 2000lbs, and that's dry. Being they are customizable is a HUGE feature to weigh. I can't have mine too heavy for the obvious towing capacity. But I don't NEEDS mine full to the gills but WANT is a different issue.

Mine will live on a ranch and get parked in a Sea Container. If I max out on model size (I'm 6'2") the added weight in structure will necessitate paring of accessories. However, If it's just me and maybe one passenger, I can still carry 600lbs in the bed keeping the trailer dry, right?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
this is how I'm rolling to the group ride in April...
20160228 100001

Reactions: Itsalljake and Tot
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles

This was my original inspiration. But given the mountain lions and cold I opted to look for something with solid walls.

Reactions: JTW and PioneerPete
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Maybe I should've clarified that I'm looking for a small, off-road rig that will be towed with the P1K and used for overnights.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Ive only seen one home made one, i think @spifyd had one that looked pretty cool. Those tear drop ones you posted look neat, but the specs are saying they are pretty heavy which maybe ok if your not trying to drag it up a mountain.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Have you seen the "Jumping Jack" trailers? They convert from a trailer you can haul your P1K in into a tent trailer. I bet you could haul this with your P1K as well. I know I want one.

6x8 demo

Tent Trailers | Jumping Jack Trailers
That does seem pretty cool. I was just hoping to have hard sides so I don't turn into a peel-and-eat shrimp for the mountain lions.n Maybe I'm being overly cautious but I feel like the hard sides would convince the wife that it's safe for the 8 year old daughter.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
If you get eaten by a mountain lion its your day to die,,really a non-issue
Not as worried about being eaten as much as just getting chewed on a little. I was woken up a couple weeks ago by one of them taking down something. Didn't sound pretty.

B

Bduck04

Feb 17, 2016
Nevada
Not as worried about being eaten as much as just getting chewed on a little. I was woken up a couple weeks ago by one of them taking down something. Didn't sound pretty.
I hunt mountain lion a lot here in Nevada, and I always tell my clients that they are WAY safer out here in the middle of nowhere sleeping under the stars and trees, than they are in town. Those cats want nothing to do with us. I've never heard of a cat getting ballsy enough to come into a tent. You have a bigger problem with a curious bear. In the event you are in bear country of course.. But honestly, I don't think you should be basing your decisions due to the fear of a lion. I sleep in deep lion country on the ground in my bed roll and have never had a problem. Digger is right.. if that happens, it's your time to go.

Reactions: Itsalljake

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!