ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The wife and I have considered jumping into RV ownership, towing large trailers is nothing new, but never owned an RV.

There are only 100,000 choices.

Got a couple of questions.

What manufacturers should we avoid like the plague?
What features should we look for as standard?
Looking at a 5th Wheel F-350 SRW towable, can a shortbed tow a 5th Wheel? I’ve seen offset gooseneck adapters but that seems dangerous.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Short bed can tow with a slider hitch which is the safest. What ammenities are you looking for what size garage? How big do you want. This is what the wife and i are looking at getting so we can haul the sxs and atvs and go camping

Screenshot 20171017 193121

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Water is not your friend.
Get/have a place under cover to park the Rv before you bring it home.
It seams like a lot of the name brands like to use OSB in the floor or roof.
For the size of investment its worth looking for a manufacture that is willing to use plywood as a min.

I have bounced around the idea of an aluminum shell (living lite) or a 'B' class motorhome built in a Sprinter body (no slides or c class shell on back).
This is probably an over reaction based on my training and my experiance with an older Weekend Warrior with major floor damage.

QuickSilver Ultra Lightweight Toy Haulers | Livin’ Lite

(Wow do I come across as a grumpy butt - good thing I'm not a popo fan)

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All modern rv or toy haulers have to have the roof redone or recotes every few years at a minimum checked for cracks in sealent. The one were looking at is a 1 piece all aluminum roof

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All modern rv or toy haulers have to have the roof redone or recotes every few years at a minimum checked for cracks in sealent. The one were looking at is a 1 piece all aluminum roof

Not exactly true. Mine is 4 years old now and I have cleaned and conditioned it 3 times. Takes about 2 hours to do that. I do keep my camper in an enclosed storage. I wouldn’t own a newer model camper and not store it inside or at the minimum with a good structure to store it under with some partial walls. Too much of an investment to let it deteriorate in the weather. Like the previous poster said water is a very bad thing. Sun is also very bad for it. All my seals and caulking is still original and I have no leaks and it’s in good shape. If you leave it out in the elements, as long as you condition and clean the roof regularly (maybe twice a year) I would think the roof would last almost forever provided you don’t hit it and tear it on something. It’s basically tpo material. Same thing that’s on the roof of all my restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s nice looking! Who makes it?

Separate 12’ garage, sleeps 4-6, 40’ -ish, genset, AC

Less than 15k/3k hitch

Also considered something like a “Fleetwood Scorpion S1” but no one seems to make anything like them anymore.

Reactions: moparornocar
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That one was from millenium trailers they make all sizes that one has a 26 ft garageand weigs 12 k empty i belive they said

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not exactly true. Mine is 4 years old now and I have cleaned and conditioned it 3 times. Takes about 2 hours to do that. I do keep my camper in an enclosed storage. I wouldn’t own a newer model camper and not store it inside or at the minimum with a good structure to store it under with some partial walls. Too much of an investment to let it deteriorate in the weather. Like the previous poster said water is a very bad thing. Sun is also very bad for it. All my seals and caulking is still original and I have no leaks and it’s in good shape. If you leave it out in the elements, as long as you condition and clean the roof regularly (maybe twice a year) I would think the roof would last almost forever provided you don’t hit it and tear it on something. It’s basically tpo material. Same thing that’s on the roof of all my restaurants.

What restaurants do u own

Whst

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got a spot ready for a RV...port. I don’t leave anything except a building roof exposed to the elements. Rain and sun deteriorate stuff QUICK.

If I end up with a pop-up style it’ll go in the shop I’m building. If it’s 5th Wheel I’ll cover it next to the shop.

I considered an cargo trailer conversion, price and amount of DIY labor involved turned me away. Rather just buy it and use it, I work too much to work more when I get home, rather spend the time with fam.

Considered a Pickup camper but wife wants a full bath in the camper. Those are more $$ than some 5th wheels and require a DRW truck I want to stay away from DRW.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Living lite are some nice campers, built like a cargo trailer. Or maybe it’s work n play, yeah that’s it. They have metal roofs like a utility trailer. I just sold my travel trailer today and am looking as well, but don’t really want to go 5er if I can avoid it. We’ve been discussing a pop up mounted on a gooseneck or bumper pull equipment trailer.

urbancoyboyja

urbancoyboyja

Buckle Up, I Want To Try Something...
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2017
WV, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My father in law pulls a 40' Cedar Creek 5th wheel with a 2500 Duramax shorted, without a slider. Probably gets 80 degrees on the turning radius, can't get a full 90. It's a Forrest River. He had a Montana, made by Keystone before. Seems like he had less issues out of the Montana.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

J

JTW

You’re right.. the sun is just as hard on stuff as the water.

J

JTW

Just my .02 and it’s probably not worth that... but from all the looking and researching I’ve done, I like the newer Work and Plays.. I want something with a separate interior garage and maybe a shower area back there.
0CB50632 A3FC 4DE6 8E63 1085DA6FCDB2

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They make a bunch of cargo conversions if your wanting a gill bath with a tub and stuff thoses are not for you they do have seperate bathrooms.you need to decide what your looking for. Look at the raptor toy haulers they have a fueling station built in to gas your toys. Fisher atv world has one and did a video on it

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Pam and i have been looking at everyone elses combination when we go ride with this group. The toy haulers just didn't offer what we wanted unless we got the larger one like @nbomar has. i would have had to buy a new truck.The existing TT we had we loved but I could not tow my machine. So this will hopefully be the best fit for us. So @nbomar ,@my99svt ,I guess we need to plan a Ride soon so we can try it out!!

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Pam and i have been looking at everyone elses combination when we go ride with this group. The toy haulers just didn't offer what we wanted unless we got the larger one like @nbomar has. i would have had to buy a new truck.The existing TT we had we loved but I could not tow my machine. So this will hopefully be the best fit for us. So @nbomar ,@my99svt ,I guess we need to plan a Ride soon so we can try it out!!

Well, this weekend in Mulberry!!!!!
I’ll be there tomorrow!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!