Tracks vs Snow Tires

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
We live at the end of a six mile long private road that only gets plowed if I do it myself (photo) so I'm thinking about trying to make our 2018 700-4 more winter capable.

Is there any rim/snow tire combination that comes anywhere close to matching Camso tracks performance?
Is it feasible to run tracks in the winter and tires in the summer? Any input on how to best get our Pioneer to the gate through miles of 2-3 foot drifts would be much appreciated.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Best snow tire I've come across is still the bighorn. I had 29x11's on my pioneer 1000 all around. Floated real well on snow. Wasn't great steering wise on the snow ect. For 2-3' of snow tracks are the only option. You can buy 2 used snowmobiles for the same $ though.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Plumber32 is right about the cabbage youll have for a few sleds.
I have the same issue where i have a cabin as well and contemplated tracks countless times. Bit just to get back into camp wasnt a practical move. Loading and unloading all the time to get into camp then having a place to park my truck was just a whore!
i have a V plow for my truck but the hard pack was a whore as well errr!!
so i found a local to plow the road So i could manage it (touching it up) when i got there. He dosnt have to rush to get there to plow Like his regular account so its very reasonable for the year. Now i can get my truck back there and a trailer and have friend's without the worry as well. Alot nicer to get my sleds out as well For trail riding.
i like the skid loader u have also. Real nice. But the bottom line is, if your not there on a regular basis that will take u all day and 3 cases of beer to get it done! Been there done that!

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Plumber32 is right about the cabbage youll have for a few sleds.
I have the same issue where i have a cabin as well and contemplated tracks countless times. Bit just to get back into camp wasnt a practical move. Loading and unloading all the time to get into camp then having a place to park my truck was just a whore!
i have a V plow for my truck but the hard pack was a whore as well errr!!
so i found a local to plow the road So i could manage it (touching it up) when i got there. He dosnt have to rush to get there to plow Like his regular account so its very reasonable for the year. Now i can get my truck back there and a trailer and have friend's without the worry as well. Alot nicer to get my sleds out as well For trail riding.
i like the skid loader u have also. Real nice. But the bottom line is, if your not there on a regular basis that will take u all day and 3 cases of beer to get it done! Been there done that!
We live here year round. Have considered snowmobiles but in six miles there's a mix of a mile of north exposure in the trees (2-4 feet deep all winter), a mile of south exposure in the open (dry within a day or two even if it snows a foot), a mile of ridge alternating blown dry and blown in 4 foot drifts then repeat. I've never had a snowmobile but I doubt it would last too long driving it on gravel.

The snow thrower on the skidsteer is awesome but top speed is 5 mph so when the ridge 5 miles away drifts in and is the only thing that needs clearing it's not worth it.

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Best snow tire I've come across is still the bighorn. I had 29x11's on my pioneer 1000 all around. Floated real well on snow. Wasn't great steering wise on the snow ect. For 2-3' of snow tracks are the only option. You can buy 2 used snowmobiles for the same $ though.
"Floated real well on snow" was what I was hoping for. I seem to do okay in 10" to 18" with the tires that came on it. I'll look into the bighorns. Thanks!

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
as far as comparing tires to tracks there really isnt none . up to 2 ft you would be fine give and take howpacked the snow is. but over 2 ft. tracks are just a beast. now as far as taking them on and off its fairly easy. little more than changing a tire. if you have the money for them definitely a good buy for deep snow

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
If keeping the road open is the priority then maybe a f250 with a front plow is a better choice for the lighter stuff.
The hydraulic rotary snow auger on the skidsteer will go through 30 inches and toss it 50 ft so there's no problem clearing the road. I'm just looking for options when I'm too lazy to plow ;-)

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
as far as comparing tires to tracks there really isnt none . up to 2 ft you would be fine give and take howpacked the snow is. but over 2 ft. tracks are just a beast. now as far as taking them on and off its fairly easy. little more than changing a tire. if you have the money for them definitely a good buy for deep snow

That's great. I'm not too worried about the cost but I wasn't sure what the Camso website meant when they said the Pioneer has to be permanently modified to install the tracks. Sounds like that's a one time deal then it's just lugs off, lugs on?

I haven't seen anything about speed. How fast can you go with tracks?

Reactions: Buggyman
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's great. I'm not too worried about the cost but I wasn't sure what the Camso website meant when they said the Pioneer has to be permanently modified to install the tracks. Sounds like that's a one time deal then it's just lugs off, lugs on?

I haven't seen anything about speed. How fast can you go with tracks?
that im not sure of its a reduction to be able to turn the tracks i think on the 700 your probably going to be in the 25-30 mph range when your dash is on 43.

there is an anti rotation bracket that goes on the frame. but other than that 1 hr or so you should be able to do a full swap.

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The hydraulic rotary snow auger on the skidsteer will go through 30 inches and toss it 50 ft so there's no problem clearing the road. I'm just looking for options when I'm too lazy to plow ;-)
Yeah for sure but with a plow its WAY faster and uses WAY less fuel, but doesn’t toss it as far. In a lighter snow year, a plow wins hands down.

I have both, big 8ft tractor blower and a plow.

Each has their place.

On my P1k5 with a 72” plow the stock bighorns will go thru a lot of snow either pushing the plow or without it.

if you have deep snow regularly and want to go over it, tracks for sure. Just watch it as when you get stuck with tracks it’s a bear to dig out.

For sure a sled is going to be cheaper.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
System 3 ss360 sand tires, there extra wide for floating in the sand. But was told the manufacturers designed them for the snow. If you looking for snow tires only, I’ve ended up plowing trail for turbo rigs on 32s with my little 30s and 100 hp. They couldn’t cut the trail were I could, and I give the tires all the credit

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@costaricaguide
what @Vikes79 said, the plow on a truck wins hands down. You said when your too lazy to plow and you live there! Man if i lived at my cabin where I get snow pretty close like you do, Id be on that like fly on $hit with my V plow! Easy peasy and fun in a truck. Then u have no worries. tracks are deff nice, but since u have a P7 i think your power with them are much less than a P1 and My buddy that has tracks on P1 when I was in it was 20-25 tops And sended all the way! Drank gas like a fish! Lets Go Brandon!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!