Trailer help for Talon 1000X4

E

etherbunny

Jul 1, 2024
Seattle, WA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hello all! I am a complete newbie to the sxs world, and I need your help. We are picking up a Talon 1000X4 soon and need advice on what type of trailer you all recommend. Getting completely overwhelmed with all the info online. Doesn't need to be too fancy to start as we won't be trailering it often. The towing capacity of my Jeep is 3500#.

Thanks in advance!

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
need advice on what type of trailer you all recommend
Thats a loaded question on here. If your getting overwhelmed on line you will blow your 🤯 here with all the different opinions on “what trailer” question lol

I would suggest like we tell everyone to search your question up top cuz its been covered a few times. You should get your answer fo sho!
This question also depends on how deep your pocket book is or isnt.

Mine is a steel 16’ tandum. Deff recommend a tandum for an x4.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If it were me, I would look for a 14x7 tandem axle trailer. If weight was a concern I'd also look at aluminum trailers but they will be more expensive. single axle trailers are cheaper but don't typically have brakes/have less carrying capacity.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all! I am a complete newbie to the sxs world, and I need your help. We are picking up a Talon 1000X4 soon and need advice on what type of trailer you all recommend. Getting completely overwhelmed with all the info online. Doesn't need to be too fancy to start as we won't be trailering it often. The towing capacity of my Jeep is 3500#.

Thanks in advance!
At 3500# you are limited to an open trailer for sure.

Weight is going to be your enemy. Off the showroom floor the X4 is 1,800 pounds (no accessories whatsoever). Most steel single axles won’t have enough rated weight capacity left for your SxS. You either have to go Aluminum or upgrade to a 5k trailer axle or go to dual/tandem axle setup.

Single vs dual axle
Aluminum vs steel
Wood deck vs aluminum vs steel

If you want opinions on that stuff … ask. But ultimately 3,500 - 1,800 only gives you 1,700 to work with. Going to be a limiting factor when you are looking at needing a 14’ trailer to load the X4 on.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have a 6.5' x 12' Rance Rough Rider aluminum single axle (3500#) trailer that I haul either the Talon 1000R2 FLV or the Pioneer 1000-5 on. The nice thing about that trailer is that it only weighs 660# but has a GWVR of 2,990#. That means nearly 2,300# of payload capacity.

That said, if I had it to do all over again and wanted an open trailer, I would still by a Rance aluminum trailer, but:

1. I would get a tandem axle trailer. They offer the same trailer with tandem axles (GWVR 7,000#) in 14, 16, 18, or 20 foot lengths. These weigh from 1,125# to 1,475# respectively, which means payload capacites between 5,775# to 5,525#, respectively.

2. I would get a longer trailer. Sure, the 12' SA gives me plenty of room for the Talon or Pioneer, but it would be nice to have more room for strapping some gear down on the trailer (and not in the truck bed) or maybe even getting a second buggy on there (not sure if the Talon and the P1K5 would fit on the 7'x20' together).

I installed e-Track on it and use Erickson tire baskets, so I went with the 5/4" x 6" treated wood deck over the aluminum deck.

Best of luck in your search.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
~snip~

I installed e-Track on it and use Erickson tire baskets, so I went with the 5/4" x 6" treated wood deck over the aluminum deck.

Best of luck in your search.
@Scoop What distance did you set the e track at for use on both machines?
Do you remember a rough center to center measurement?

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

I'll measure it when I get home.

I put 30x15x7 (4+3 I think) on the Pioneer and set the eTrack up for that, BEFORE we bought the Talon. I put 32x15x7 (+45mm, which is 5.5 + 1.5 instead of the 6+1 they are advertised as) on the Talon. When I strap the Talon down, the tires are a little further outside of center of the eTracks, but not too bad.

I were to do it again today, I would move the eTrack out *maybe* 1 inch or so on both sides, and I would call that perfect for hauling either buggy (even though neither would be perfectly centered on the eTrack.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll measure it when I get home.

I put 30x15x7 (4+3 I think) on the Pioneer and set the eTrack up for that, BEFORE we bought the Talon. I put 32x15x7 (+45mm, which is 5.5 + 1.5 instead of the 6+1 they are advertised as) on the Talon. When I strap the Talon down, the tires are a little further outside of center of the eTracks, but not too bad.

I were to do it again today, I would move the eTrack out *maybe* 1 inch or so on both sides, and I would call that perfect for hauling either buggy (even though neither would be perfectly centered on the eTrack.
I am running 4+3 rims as well. Just not sure whether I want to set it up for mine, or a little wider for a future purchase. I know a Talon is in my future, just not sure when.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I am running 4+3 rims as well. Just not sure whether I want to set it up for mine, or a little wider for a future purchase. I know a Talon is in my future, just not sure when.
The beauty of the tire baskets (vs using a single strap over the tire) is they are more forgiving on eTrac/tie down placement. You really don't have worry about the baskets slipping off the tire.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Center to Center:

e-Track: 57"
P1K5: 56"
Talon: 61"

Both secure fine with the Erickson wheel baskets (I use one on each of the four wheels).

Optimally, if I were to install again, I would install the eTrack at 59" C2C, give or take. The only limiting factor is your floor. If you have a wood plank floor like mine, 59" CTC would put the edges of the eTrack right at the edges of the 6" wide planks - and the screw/bolt holes are on the edge.

Even if you're off a little one way or the other, the Erickson baskets don't really care.
We've made two 1K mile round trips hauling the P1K5 and two with the Talon - solid as a rock and zero issues.

Reactions: TxDoc
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Seems like everyone gave you some good information….

I’d go with at least a 14’ tandem axle trailer… I pull mine around now with an open trailer (18’) I purchased with my tractor. It has worked so far but for me isn’t ideal. I’ll be getting an enclosed 20’ or 24’ eventually. Luckily I don’t have to worry about GWVR so it isn’t a consideration in my selection process (nor is aluminum vs steel)

A note on the single strap tire tie downs… they will fall off… I had these on all 4 wheels for the Pioneer and no matter how much I’d crank them down it seems that one or two would fall off every so often.

For the Talon, I got the tire bonnets from Mac’s for my birthday so I will give those a try to see how well they work.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Sorry to be the Debbie downer…with 3500 lb towing capacity and a Jeep…the ONLY option that even has a chance of working is an aluminum 14’ single axel trailer WITH Brakes for an 1000x4…period. With most single axels sporting a 3500 lb axel…the trailer will be nearly maxed out as JB said earlier.

Double axel blah blah are just pipe dreams with this tiny towing capacity.

Hopefully the OP’s trips are going to be short as the talon and trailer are going to dominate the s*** outta that Jeep and make it a miserable experience.

Clearly a better TV is necessary and much safer.

Here is my trailer, it’s a 14’ PJ with a 5k axel and brakes.
IMG 6649

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Sorry to be the Debbie downer…with 3500 lb towing capacity and a Jeep…the ONLY option that even has a chance of working is an aluminum 14’ single axel trailer WITH Brakes for an 1000x4…period. With most single axels sporting a 3500 lb axel…the trailer will be nearly maxed out as JB said earlier.

Double axel blah blah are just pipe dreams with this tiny towing capacity.

I'm no trailer expert nor am I a math-a-magician, but the tandem axle 14' Rance aluminum trailer with electric brakes I cited earlier only weighs 1,225#. That's 300# less than your PJ SA steel trailer with the 5K single axle, but it has a significantly higher GWVR (7,000#) and payload capacity (5,775#) than yours (4,995#/3,420#).

Limiting himself to 3,500#, that Rance TA trailer gives him 300# more room than the PJ SA steel trailer.

And the 16' trailer is only 60# heavier than the 14' trailer.

advertisement