rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah.. they're not much!

Some of the reviews of that last one didn't give me high hopes..

I've got half a mind to contact some of these different comapnies and have them send me some of each lock to do a torture test review!! I wanna know how difficult each are to pry, knock

Pull a tire.

J

JTW

The Amplock seem to get good reviews but they are pricey -
View attachment 39882
Yeah.. I've eyeballed them. But I can make something cheaper and just as good for that $$$. Both trailers are inside now anyway... I did order 3 different locks today.

IMG 3389

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. I've eyeballed them. But I can make something cheaper and just as good for that $$$. Both trailers are inside now anyway... I did order 3 different locks today.

View attachment 39941

Let us know - I have a different coupler that I normally see and I can't remember the name off hand
5404f44b9455dc5b8e7a5bc475c6f535

You can see the cheap 10 sec pin lock I use in the picture (well it was not cheap) and then here is what I do on the wheels
7b7c7c788def78cc33d7a5f48fef1000

I want to add an additional lock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Let us know - I have a different coupler that I normally see and I can't remember the name off hand
5404f44b9455dc5b8e7a5bc475c6f535.jpg

You can see the cheap 10 sec pin lock I use in the picture (well it was not cheap) and then here is what I do on the wheels
7b7c7c788def78cc33d7a5f48fef1000.jpg

Its a Hammer Blow or Bulldog type coupler.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
J

JTW

5404f44b9455dc5b8e7a5bc475c6f535.jpg

7b7c7c788def78cc33d7a5f48fef1000.jpg

I think your in pretty good shape with a quality pin type lock, with how that particular type of hitch works. It would be much more difficult to get into than the top lever style most trailer have. Unless a smaller ball could slip in the closed hitch, that's a tough one to get in my mind.

D

dealer6

Feb 1, 2017
Hubbard
I use this one and like it, although I lost the key once and was able to cut off with battery powered sawzall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 5# shop hammer will get one of these off pretty easy
I lost the key to mine and a few good wacks with the hammer and it came right off

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think your in pretty good shape with a quality pin type lock, with how that particular type of hitch works. It would be much more difficult to get into than the top lever style most trailer have. Unless a smaller ball could slip in the closed hitch, that's a tough one to get in my mind.
I just figure I could take a hammer to the pin and it would break but better than nothing - then there is the wire through the wheel - I should chain the back of the trailer to a tree - so if some one does hook up and take off at least they would get a surprise :)

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I just figure I could take a hammer to the pin and it would break but better than nothing - then there is the wire through the wheel - I should chain the back of the trailer to a tree - so if some one does hook up and take off at least they would get a surprise :)
I would think a good one would be pretty tough

advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I could dismantle that in 5 minutes with a cordless grinder. Crack heads don't steal trailers.....It's guys who know what they want and how to cut s***......Where I live is high crime and I have cameras and Dvr and even hunting cams set up....When I leave for weekends and my Alum stays home,I use the max coupler lock among with a pad lock.....But either can be cut right off But most thieves don't bring a spare tire with them and a grinder. So lately I have removed one wheel and lay a tarp over it so you can see.and I put the tire in basement.Sounds insane but every other week thieves impress me around here.and always cover the hitch devise so they can't see what you have and keep weather off it or you will be just locking yourself out.You can have all the insurance in the world but when someone steals your stuff it just works at you

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could dismantle that in 5 minutes with a cordless grinder. Crack heads don't steal trailers.....It's guys who know what they want and how to cut s***......Where I live is high crime and I have cameras and Dvr and even hunting cams set up....When I leave for weekends and my Alum stays home,I use the max coupler lock among with a pad lock.....But either can be cut right off But most thieves don't bring a spare tire with them and a grinder. So lately I have removed one wheel and lay a tarp over it so you can see.and I put the tire in basement.Sounds insane but every other week thieves impress me around here.and always cover the hitch devise so they can't see what you have and keep weather off it or you will be just locking yourself out.You can have all the insurance in the world but when someone steals your stuff it just works at you

Got tired of living in "town" and in sub-divisions where this was more prominent problem because there was a high concentration of stuff to steal.

Made it harder for them to find me, see what I have if they did, and get to it. Moved out of town to a more rural area where everyone knows who you are and what you drive, then put up a gate. So if you're there and you're not supposed to be everyone remembers. Along with the 19 4K CCTV cameras that can see in no light.

My family's security and privacy is more important to me than thieves and trespassers.

Not a doomsday prepper, I acknowledge people usually will take advantage of you if you let them and in general are not to be trusted.

I have these keyed alike and use the pin lock when it's hooked up.

Doesn't stop them but with the ball locked into the truck it would slow them down long enough for me to go into a place and get food.

Locking it to the trailer is harder it can be rolled off in neutral and pulled up on another trailer.

d35e1d5e1fe82eafc2444283264332a9.jpg

1dae4b068ecc5a9c3a9c3034fe3fd652.jpg

701497e99511e00ba00c5528b12102c1.jpg

IMG 7083

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like it. I feel slightly better since I've got a second lock helping to hold the first in the have to defeat first which takes more time.

Reactions: ChadD
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok how about:

or
Thanks @misterkit I don't know if I feel encouraged to start a life of crime or go chain the axle of my trailer to a tree now lol

sure does not give a good sense of security - I would like to see the Proven industries lock tested by another group but that does look stout.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @misterkit I don't know if I feel encouraged to start a life of crime or go chain the axle of my trailer to a tree now lol

sure does not give a good sense of security - I would like to see the Proven industries lock tested by another group but that does look stout.

The keyway itself would be a weak point on that one. Could always drill it out. It's most likely brass.

But they all have keys so looks like strongest one.

M

misterkit

Jun 30, 2016
ny
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm leaning towards the Proven Industries one too but I figured someone here may know a weakpoint for it....They aren't cheap either.

Amazing how easy a lot of the other ones are defeated though.

M

misterkit

Jun 30, 2016
ny
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Found this as well.

advertisement