P500 Trailer size I may have messed up.

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
As I’m sure some have you have noticed that trailer prices have almost doubled in price in the last few years. Well I‘ve been looking for a good deal on a slightly used 5x10 trailer. After weeks of looking I found one for a decent price In awesome shape and pretty much brand new and went and bought it last night. My issue is I didn’t study it a whole bunch as it looked almost exactly like the 5x10 I use to have for my p500. Well when I got home and looked it over with my flash light real good I seen the label on the side that said max cargo 1300 lbs and it has a 2000lb axle. Now I am wondering if I screwed up and the trailer is not going to be enough “weight carrying wise” for the new p520 I just ordered. What do you guys think?

ED993A78 CEBB 4C41 8275 A63AEB7380F5

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I bought the P500 in 2020 mostly because it only weighed 1025 lbs, according to the manufacturer. I added a roof, windshield, gun rack, winch and fabric cab. I also put on aftermarket tires and wheels. I went with alloy wheels for possible weight saving for the bigger tires, 27". I still think I am under 1200 lbs as I kept an eye on the approx weights of the various items. I think you will be fine, just don't plan on adding gas cans etc into the trailer. You can put your trailer spare into your tow vehicle as an example.

Keep us posted when you weigh the finished P520.

s/f Steve

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
When I was trailer shopping last year it seemed to me the only difference in 2000lb VS 3000lb trailers was the axle/suspension/tire size. The frame etc was all built the same.

If it were me, I'd look at the manufacturer's listing between that model and (if they make) a 3000lb model (or 2999lb, in MN, if the trailer is rated over 3000lbs, its not an easy life-time sticker, gotta re-register it every year or something)
Quick google search lists some 3500lb trailer axles (+ leaf springs, hubs etc.) are $200-$300. Unless you want e-brakes, then the cost goes up.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I was trailer shopping last year it seemed to me the only difference in 2000lb VS 3000lb trailers was the axle/suspension/tire size. The frame etc was all built the same.

If it were me, I'd look at the manufacturer's listing between that model and (if they make) a 3000lb model (or 2999lb, in MN, if the trailer is rated over 3000lbs, its not an easy life-time sticker, gotta re-register it every year or something)
Quick google search lists some 3500lb trailer axles (+ leaf springs, hubs etc.) are $200-$300. Unless you want e-brakes, then the cost goes up.
I like e brakes on a trailer.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 5X10 trailer for my P5 with a 3,500 lb axle and GVWR of 3000 lbs. Mine is so darn heavy (unloaded) that I have to really grunt when I have to move it by hand with a dolly across my front yard to get it in the back yard where I keep it. One thing I did to lighten it up, was to remove the rear rampgate. That thing probably weighed 125+ lbs. I bought a pair of 5 ft. aluminum ramps to use, and throw them in the back of the truck. You could lighten it up by removing the rampgate, and if you are still worried, you could carry the trailer spare tire in the tow vehicle.
I think you will be OK, unless you really load up the P5 with options.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It would be best to weigh the trailer including tongue weight and the spare wheel and tire then weigh the P500 including accessories and filled with fuel.

Then you'll know if you have (barely) enough trailer or made a mistake.

Reactions: J80
Notthouse22

Notthouse22

May 1, 2021
Fernley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Your trailer is fine. Even with a spare gas can and a few accessories you will be under the 1300 pound weight limit. Erickson wheel chock tie down system can help you place the Pioneer in the right spot to balance the trailer correctly to keep it safe. Enjoy your new ride and congrats on finding a trailer in nice condition for a reasonable price. ✌️

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
As I’m sure some have you have noticed that trailer prices have almost doubled in price in the last few years. Well I‘ve been looking for a good deal on a slightly used 5x10 trailer. After weeks of looking I found one for a decent price In awesome shape and pretty much brand new and went and bought it last night. My issue is I didn’t study it a whole bunch as it looked almost exactly like the 5x10 I use to have for my p500. Well when I got home and looked it over with my flash light real good I seen the label on the side that said max cargo 1300 lbs and it has a 2000lb axle. Now I am wondering if I screwed up and the trailer is not going to be enough “weight carrying wise” for the new p520 I just ordered. What do you guys think?

View attachment 309363
There’s the legal issue and there’s the trailers ability. Like a 250 lb step ladder rating. The ladder isn’t going to collapse with the 300 lb man on it, but good luck with a lawsuit. If you get over the 1300 lb limit and have an accident, your insurance company could deny a claim, and you could be sued if you caused damage to property or personal injury. None of which is very likely but possible…

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I like e brakes on a trailer.

I asked the big trailer center here in Montana about adding e-brakes to my 8x10 single axle trailer and they said no way, don’t do it and they wouldn’t sell to me if they knew that was my plan. Why? I really don’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Paul_R

Dec 20, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember, the axel is 2k but you’ll have 2 -3 hundred on the tongue too. You’d be fine at 1600 on the trailer.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Remember, the axel is 2k but you’ll have 2 -3 hundred on the tongue too. You’d be fine at 1600 on the trailer.
Tongue weight has nothing to do with determining (and not exceeding) GTW (gross trailer weight aka the weight of the trailer plus all cargo on it) and whether or not you're exceeding the GWVR (gross vehicle weight rating) for that trailer. Your GTW should not exceed the GWVR that's listed on the tag on the trailer itself.

A typical 5x8 wood floor single axle open trailer from Tractor Supply with a single 2K axle weighs in around 575#. If the GWVR of the trailer is 2,000#, then you should not load more than 1,475# on the trailer. The mesh steel style floor version can gain you upwards of 75# more cargo carrying capacity (they usually weigh less than the wood floor versions).

FWIW: Proper tongue weight for a standard ball hitch trailer, which should typically be ~10 to ~15% of the total GTW, affects how well the vehicle can steer when towing. Not enough weight on the tongue can cause the trailer to sway back and forth, while too much can push the rear end of the vehicle around and overload the rear tires

Z

Zack4204

Sep 24, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 309363
Nothing else just swap the axle for a HD one. Should be able to get one from your local TSC or equivalent farm store.

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
I use a 5x8 for my P500. Axle rating is 2000 lbs and 1,625 lbs load capacity. I did add four 1x6s to the floor where the P500 wheels travel over the wire mesh. It hasn't been a problem for me. I wanted everything as small and light as possible, hence the P500 and 5x8 trailer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!