P500 Trailer tires

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Seemed like the best place to put this...

My trailer came with Loadmaster bias ply tires load rated at C. I've got around 8,000 miles on them and they seem to be doing well, but given that I do a couple long trips a year (3,200 miles round trip on one) I'm thinking I should consider putting new tires on already. Radials seem like the way to go. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on tires?

Reactions: sharp
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Bias outlast radials on a trailer in my experience but when got new shoes for one of my trailers (15 s) I couldn't find any bias ply .

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Bias outlast radials on a trailer in my experience but when got new shoes for one of my trailers (15 s) I couldn't find any bias ply .
What kind of trailer? I'm using a small aluminum open trailer.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
According to my trailer dealer trailer tires only last less than half as long car tires and radials last twice as long as bias ply. His recommendation was change them every other trip west in my case.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Those are on a 12' closed in , but my horse trailer has 15" bias tires on it and they are 12 years old and showing very little signs of there age as compared to 3 yr old ones on my 20' closed in with radials that need replaced do to sun rot .

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I used to buy tires, and have them mounted on my existing wheels, until I figured out tire and rim combos are virtually same price and easier to do it yourself. They come mounted.

Examples:

Amazon.com: 15" White Spoke Trailer Wheel with Bias St205/75d15 Tire Mounted (5x5) Bolt Circle: Automotive

Amazon.com: 14" White Mod Trailer Wheel with Bias ST205/75D14 Tire Mounted (5x4.5) bolt circle: Automotive

Thanks for that heads up. I may get an extra spare at that price.
I'm not paranoid , but last year when my trip to Tenn. I brought 3 spare tires. I took two of another trailer I had but since sold. Cant be too prepared

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Those are on a 12' closed in , but my horse trailer has 15" bias tires on it and they are 12 years old and showing very little signs of there age as compared to 3 yr old ones on my 20' closed in with radials that need replaced do to sun rot .
The spare tire on my old van was stored in it out of the sun & weather only listed 10 years before it let go just sitting there. I wouldn't trust those 12 year old tires very far.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Seemed like the best place to put this...

My trailer came with Loadmaster bias ply tires load rated at C. I've got around 8,000 miles on them and they seem to be doing well, but given that I do a couple long trips a year (3,200 miles round trip on one) I'm thinking I should consider putting new tires on already. Radials seem like the way to go. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on tires?
Maxxis

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
IMHO...Go up a Load Range or 2 and try the Sailun S637. I have a 3 axle Cyclone Toy Hauler and that's what most of us are running (Load Range G). Of course you might not be grossing upwards of 20,000 lbs either. The Cyclones originally came with load Range E tires but the factory went to Gs a couple of years ago as did most other brands due to failure rates on the Powerking Towmax they put on them at that time. They are doing at least as good as the Goodyear G614 based on what I see from failure rates in our forums.

Good Luck!!!

WB

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A trailer tire has more to do with age than how much tread there is on it. If it's several years old and still looks good but it's old the probablity of it blowing out on a hot interstate is pretty high. I blew out 2 on the way home from the takeover that looked fine. I replaced all of them with Goodyear marathon. They are on a 14 utility trailer.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any tire will last longer in use than just sitting around. The oil compounds in the rubber will be absorbed into the tire and the surface will dry-rot. The act of driving (centrifugal force) forces the oils back to the surface. With consistent use your trailer tires should last a long time especially if they are stored out of the sunlight and you check the pressure before trips.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!