P1000 Trailering in the rain

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I sure I am confused after reading this post. I thought the snorkel ran off of the pre-filter area directly under the hood? You just extended that area straight up.

So the snorkels are running from the radiator area under the hood?

I thought like CrowHunter that it all started directly underneath the hood where the filter is?

There are 2 different designs that I have seen. One skips the prefilter all together and comes straight into the air filter box at the back. The others go into the tube next to the prefilter area.

Once I actually went out and looked at it myself I realized I had a fundamental misconception of where the actual intake is. Water hitting the hood isn't the problem. It would be very hard for water to make it into the system this way.

The problem is splashing up UNDER the hood behind the radiator. That could get drawn directly into the system. Pretty much if you are going to be splashing into water, you need to move that intake.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I sure I am confused after reading this post. I thought the snorkel ran off of the pre-filter area directly under the hood? You just extended that area straight up.

So the snorkels are running from the radiator area under the hood?

I thought like CrowHunter that it all started directly underneath the hood where the filter is?
Straight up but backwards. For pics sometimes I'll have it forward.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Crow_Hunter has it right that is the deal

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are 2 different designs that I have seen. One skips the prefilter all together and comes straight into the air filter box at the back. The others go into the tube next to the prefilter area.

Once I actually went out and looked at it myself I realized I had a fundamental misconception of where the actual intake is. Water hitting the hood isn't the problem. It would be very hard for water to make it into the system this way.

The problem is splashing up UNDER the hood behind the radiator. That could get drawn directly into the system. Pretty much if you are going to be splashing into water, you need to move that intake.

So if I am understanding this right, there is no reason to bother with the snorkel system that comes off of the pre-filter under the hood, that would not be the best guarantee but bypassing it completely off of the radiator would be the way to go correct?

Glad I read this when I did because as a plumber I was just going to slap a 3 inch fernco and a piece of PVC pipe and come straight up :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So if I am understanding this right, there is no reason to bother with the snorkel system that comes off of the pre-filter under the hood, that would not be the best guarantee but bypassing it completely off of the radiator would be the way to go correct?

Glad I read this when I did because as a plumber I was just going to slap a 3 inch fernco and a piece of PVC pipe and come straight up :)

If it were me, I would do similar to what Joey and CP did.

It is up front where you can see it, it also doesn't bypass the tuners that are downstream (resonators) like going directly into the air box and it looks to be much easier and probably easier to put back the way it was too if you decide to change it back.

But I have absolutely zero experience snorkeling anything so asking my advice on this is extremely dangerous.:D

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If it were me, I would do similar to what Joey and CP did.

It is up front where you can see it, it also doesn't bypass the tuners that are downstream (resonators) like going directly into the air box and it looks to be much easier and probably easier to put back the way it was too if you decide to change it back.

But I have absolutely zero experience snorkeling anything so asking my advice on this is extremely dangerous.:D

LMAO! Obviously we are both in the same boat or I wouldn't be asking the other blind person :)

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
LMAO! Obviously we are both in the same boat or I wouldn't be asking the other blind person :)
Even throwing a 90deg backwards on the up pipe but staying under the hood like @Hondasxs did would be fine. The current system either your ok or your not. People could or could not be adding water all the time. It's no big deal till it is. It's too cheap and easy to snorkel. I regret not knowing I was adding water all the time. I like @joeymt33 design because I can see what's going in and I can 86 it very quickly if/when needed.

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uh, stuck in the house because it's raining? Dude that's the best time to ride!
You got that right! Daughter and I went in pouring rain for first time couple weeks ago. We were having a blast til the lightning started (and we were surrounded on all sides by trees).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!